World Cup Qatar 2022 - Desert Strike

Boothjan

Damn! Was hoping Senegal would sneak a goal at the end there to make it 3-1.

I always stick a few pounds on a 3-1. Already won from Netherlands yesterday and France today. If only England could have been a bit less fucking good.

Probably stick a few quid on France 3 England 1 and hope to lose my money on that one.

2 minutes ago, footle said:

QF: ITV

But why? :( 

As for the game, as I thought it would be (and said as much the other day) it wasn't really much trouble. Senegal only really had that chance in the first half and then offered nothing/weren't allowed to get back into the game. The goals came at really good times to knock the stuffing out of them and they didn't have a sniff after that.

I don't think this side will be afraid of France - Mbappe is a massive threat, sure, but then we have a front 4 or 5 that can all cause lots of trouble. I wonder what side he will put out?

7 minutes ago, Jammy said:

If not for a few inches either way (Saka’s ball in the first half and Rashford’s in the second), Kane would have had three goals tonight. Nice to see him finally getting into the bloody box.

We're the highest scorers in the tournament and I don't think it matters. He's our best creator. 

Just now, Timmo said:

We're the highest scorers in the tournament and I don't think it matters. He's our best creator. 

For sure. It’s fantastic that we’re not solely reliant on him, I’m just willing him on to break Rooney’s scoring record. Two to go :)

2 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Yeah, the way England are playing at the moment reminds me of that purple patch we had when we beat Spain 3-2 and had a few other notable results by having the wingers run off Kane, who provided through balls for them. His passing is a huge part of his game, and the first goal came from him dropping deep and playing a nice ball to Bellingham.

1 minute ago, feltmonkey said:

Yeah, the way England are playing at the moment reminds me of that purple patch we had when we beat Spain 3-2 and had a few other notable results by having the wingers run off Kane, who provided through balls for them. His passing is a huge part of his game, and the first goal came from him dropping deep and playing a nice ball to Bellingham.

Yeah, they’re playing an inverted front three it seems, with the two wide players ahead of Kane rather than him taking point.

In all honesty, very pleased with that. And the quarter final is going to be fucking HUGE. Just say you wanted to win the whole thing, right. And you wanted the absolute best journey so you could tell footballing folk tales for years to come. I mean, a saturday night quarter final against the world champions is pretty much the way to go right?! :omg:

Incidentally, Netherlands v. Argentina could be pretty tasty as well. Genuinely feel quite privileged to have seen Bergkamp's beauty live in '98 (worth a watch just for the incredible Dutch commentary at the very least):

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

What an idiot.

When we went long and won second balls, we were great.

We need to do that against France. Put it up top. Kane's a fantastic target man.

I think the idiot is someone who quite doesn't understand the nuance of what I was saying.

The 'old school manager' nod is the less thoughtful, rough and ready "yeah go on lads then have some pints" types that is prime big sam and Redknapp territory. No nuance (irony?).

In Southgate we have someone who has shown care and understanding for the players and has fostered a team spirit without the laddish behaviour that was rife in the past.

Progressive, not set in their ways.

Nothing to do with tactics.

You're quite right though all the goals tonight came from those long balls we smashed up the pitch.

Hey Big Sam has got the best England record, bring him back! Yeah England Booiiss on tour!

Tchouameni, Camavinga & Rabiot aren’t bad players to bring in for Pogba and Kante.  You’d think Tchouameni would be starting regardless of injuries to others based on the past couple of seasons.  

England will be underdogs but we do have a fighting chance.  We’ve got a good squad, a strong bench and Southgate isn’t afraid to turn this into a snooze fest if it means shithousing his way to a victory. It’s a 60/40 game to France. 

Our first 11 is better than theirs. They have a true match winner though. If Mbappe performs they win, otherwise England go through. They have an error-prone Lloris, a CB as RB, possibly no LB available and so on. 

However, a French supporter could point to our obvious deficiencies. The bookies won’t have much between it. 

Looking at the data England have been clinical so far, which is a nice way of saying over-scoring their chances against the xG. Tournaments are obviously short so that could possibly continue as you get runs like this, and before the tournament we'd been pretty terrible hardly scoring at all. 

That said they haven't been lucky to win, as simply aren't giving much up defensively, we've 'won' every match on xG, so whilst fortunate to not concede on occasions not lucky to get thru. 

France on the other hand actually 'lost' on xG to Poland yesterday but highlighted how quality forwards turn results. Giroud won't be running away from Maguire or Stones but he's so under appreciated as a clever technical forward, and then you've got the speedsters either side cutting in off of him.

I suspect safety first Southgate will switch to a back 5 for Saturday, though not sure how much added security you actually get with a pairing of Dier/Stones/Maguire.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

I suspect safety first Southgate will switch to a back 5 for Saturday, though not sure how much added security you actually get with a pairing of Dier/Stones/Maguire.

Based on previous games I think it will likely be Walker/Stones/Maguire, with Trippier and Shaw as the wing backs. 

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

France on the other hand actually 'lost' on xG to Poland yesterday but highlighted how quality forwards turn results. Giroud won't be running away from Maguire or Stones but he's so under appreciated as a clever technical forward, and then you've got the speedsters either side cutting in off of him.

I would imagine both Mbappe's goals were fairly low xG chances (which as you say, is what separates him from most players in world football), whereas Poland had that one they really should have scored at 0-0, where the bloke hit it straight at Lloris under very little pressure.

If we do switch to a back 5 it'll be Trippier coming in at RWB as @Gigawatt says, but personally I wouldn't do it. Walker/Henderson/Saka is a pretty defensively solid lot of players to have down that flank, and if you switch to a back 5 then you're a) inhibiting Bellingham by asking him to take more defensive responsibility, and b) potentially giving Griezmann more time and space to get the ball into Mbappe in the first place. I would definitely stick with the same XI.

Thought last night was incredibly promising and it really does show what a good side we've got - some top quality players actually playing to their potential.

Dumbfounded just how little respect Southgate gets though - he got the personnel and the tactics spot on again yesterday, was justified in who he left out and has made the most out of some difficult decisions.

Yet if we're not 2 up after half an hour, the doom merchants come out of the woodwork.

Ironically, the difficulties we had in that opening period echo the complaints - just a lack of patience.  We seemed desperate to get the ball forward, but Senegal weren't allowing our midfield any space at all to receive, meaning our centre halves cheaply gave away possession.  Nothing wrong with keeping a hold of it across the backline and slowing the game down, because whenever we did get it in the midfield, the change of pace in attack was frightening and we always looked dangerous.

Sure enough, when we got Bellingham on the ball, things happened and we made the breakthrough, after that there was only ever one winner.

The USA match was very frustrating and too conservative (which as it stands hasn't done any damage to our tournament whatsoever), but aside from that I think Southgate has got everything right so far.  Of course, the next test is a far, far bigger one that we've had so far and we will have to be at our very best to win, but I don't see why we can't play at our highest standard when the character and confidence is clearly so high in the camp.  Hopefully France and their pesky #10 can have an off day.

22 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Yet if we're not 2 up after half an hour, the doom merchants come out of the woodwork.

Ironically, the difficulties we had in that opening period echo the complaints - just a lack of patience.  We seemed desperate to get the ball forward, but Senegal weren't allowing our midfield any space at all to receive, meaning our centre halves cheaply gave away possession.  Nothing wrong with keeping a hold of it across the backline and slowing the game down, because whenever we did get it in the midfield, the change of pace in attack was frightening and we always looked dangerous.

It wasn't that, though - we were playing terribly for the first 35 minutes. Just awkward little passing triangles in our own half, very little movement ahead so we gave the ball away cheaply, often everything done at walking pace. And we had a couple of awful 'switching off' moments where dodgy passes led to Senegal getting in, and they were unlucky not to score. Whenever Senegal got the ball, they looked far more incisive than us in that first period. But the first goal changed everything, and from then on we looked great. Amazing what a bit of confidence can do at the very point where the other team feels hard done by. 

My problem with the first 35 was that we were always passing to the player immediately ahead, and when we got to the half way line the press made us have to pass backwards again. So many times! We needed to miss a man out, which as soon as we started doing, we had much more joy. The way to beat the press is for someone to beat a man after receiving the ball to draw out another opponent, or to bypass the nearest player and play a medium or long ball. When the tactics changed after the goal, everything changed.