World Cup Qatar 2022 - Desert Strike

Boothjan

Can't say I'm thrilled about the fact this competition is happening - doesn't feel right to be on the eve of a World Cup, regardless of the morality of where it's being held etc etc.

Anyway - it's happening, and I'm hoping what happens on the pitch is more like Germany 2006 compared to South Africa 2010 (my god that was a shite tournament).

Who are your tips to win the thing?  I don't think there are any outstanding favourites this time.  France will do well but have suffered a lot of injuries in the build up.  Argentina and Brazil look MUCH stronger this time out, The Netherlands have a lot of talent, I'd like to see Portugal do well (as a Wolves fan, obvs), and fuck knows what England will turn up!

Also hope Wales have a good tournament (aside from their game against England, of course).

Boycotting this tournament as it should not be happening so will not watch it and avoid it s much s possible - pleased Spurs have a bit of a break so hopefully can have a few players recover from injury but more likely will pick up a few….

Fuck this tournament and fuck FIFA tho 🤬

Well I'm excited for a month of top football. I expect to see England falling flat on their faces again and a non-European winner for the first time in 20 years. All the games are at normal times for us in the UK so I've booked the Iran game off work. My excitement for England will as ever be minimal at first and grow depending on how far we go. However I do think Argentina or Brazil will win it.

3 minutes ago, Seanfl9 said:

I will be there, wrongly, I know. A couple of friends and I made a pact that we'd go to every international tournament from 2016 onwards.

Nice. New Zealand and Papua New Guinea in the 2016 OCF Nations Cup final was a cracker. Wish I could have been there.

Having a World Cup starting in a little under two weeks, a week after a fairly run-of-the-mill set of domestic fixtures just doesn’t feel right, without everything else attached to this tournament. Totally understand plenty not wanting to watch or be involved. Will be interesting to see how the tournament grabs the public in what is already a busy time of year (the local Sainsbury’s has a pretty token shelf with Panini albums and packs of Budweiser… go football!) especially as a lot of the communal aspects of summer tournaments will be impacted. Guess that will very much depend on England’s fortunes.

As with every World Cup since 2006 I’ll be watching as a neutral. Brazil have an embarrassingly good squad and are probably ‘due’ a win but there’s a half-dozen sides alongside them who could challenge. Will try and meet up with a few mates for some random games in a pub with awful food. Feel like the magic of a World Cup might be elusive for this one though, and we’ll get a functional tournament with a lack of flair.

Can't say I'm that hyped for it, World Cup is for those warm summer days, beer gardens and BBQs etc so that's missing for a start and just gets worse when you look into all the corruption,  exploitation and death from the nation hosting it all. Plus nae Scotland but that's just World Cup tradition. 

I'll still likely watch the odd game depending on KO times but won't be going out my way to watch them and there'll be no wall planner this time. 

ABE obviously and really hope for something as hilariously satisfying as the Euro's final. 

I'll be watching. I'm not happy about it being in Qatar but sadly this is the way football has been going for a long time.

I'll just enjoy the novelty of having a world cup occurring while I also put my Christmas tree up.

I'm expecting England to go out in the first knockout round.

Obviously Southgate won't pick anything like this squad, but with the players available I think this is about as good as England can get:

GK

Pickford, Ramsdale, Pope

DF

Walker*, Stones, Dier, White, Maguire, Trippier, Alexander-Arnold, Shaw, Tomori

MF

Rice, Phillips*, Bellingham, Henderson, Mount, Eze, Maddison

FW

Kane, Saka, Foden, Rashford, Grealish, Toney, Wilson

* If still injured, Guehi for Walker and Ward-Prowse for Phillips

edit: forgot Sterling, he's in shit form but I guess you have to put him in there for one of Toney or Wilson. Toney more of a like-for-like Kane replacement, Wilson more of a tactical Plan B. Take your pick.

I think England's only hope is to grind out some good old fashioned stodgy tournament football and hope Kane drags us through. Looking at that rogues gallery at the back there's only a handful of players there in any sort of form and two of them might not even go. Remove the players Southgate won't pick and there's zero pace to call on too. Big AC has hit his straps recently, maybe he's the wildcard this nation deserves. Let's go all in.

43 minutes ago, Hamus said:

FIFA wins, Qatar wins! Let's support because we all want to watch some entertainment!

I mean we all presumably watch the premier league and that is increasingly a propaganda tool. I just hope my own club never gets sold to a country as that would be my personal tipping point. 

We all have our own personal tipping points, but there's no need for the whataboutery. The Premier League and the Qatar World Cup are not the same thing, and being comfortable with watching one doesn't mean you must be ok with the other.

I wasn't exactly using some obtuse whataboutery though - it's two football competitions both with very dubious people involved. I think it's easier to write off watching the world cup as it seems like club allegiance is stronger. 

Overall I just wish football wasn't in the state it's in. 

I didn't say it was obtuse, but it's still whataboutery, and I don't think you can really reduce the concerns about the Qatar World Cup to the mere involvement of "dubious people." Football certainly is in a terrible state. Some aspects are worse than others and you don't have to either accept everything, or accept nothing.

It probably is easier for most to write off the World Cup because they prefer club football. And while that certainly wouldn't be the case for me, I know it's an easier choice to make when Ireland haven't qualified, but then Ireland never qualify and I still habitually take two weeks off work just to watch the tournament. I won't this time.

Whether it's hard or easy to do so, it doesn't change the reasons why people are choosing not to watch, and I think reducing it to those terms or comparing it to watching the Premier League is being dismissive of the concerns. Enjoy the World Cup if you can. Not everyone will.

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I mean we all presumably watch the premier league and that is increasingly a propaganda tool. I just hope my own club never gets sold to a country as that would be my personal tipping point. 

Are we the baddies?

6 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

We might be? It's hard to say. It was a lot easier when clubs weren't owned by countries. 

Bring back Oyston! Good, British stock. Business man.

1 minute ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I wasn't advocating that we should allow rapists to own clubs either. 

Oof I didn't realise that. I just thought he was a corrupt businessman. Sorry to anyone who read that!