Elevator Action Returns S-Tribute - PS4/Xbox/Switch/Steam - December 1st

Quest

7 minutes ago, Gotters said:

CE2ED848-6038-4123-B1D2-D0E502324144.thumb.jpeg.6927aad010ce526c03156280ce37b0c2.jpeg

sweet, Taito Legends 2 on PS2

Unfortunately not a great way to play and is fairly botched - this Saturn port will be a lot better!

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/elevator-action-returns/

Elevator Action Returns also appears in Taito Legends 2 for the PC, PS2, and Xbox in American and European territories, while Japan would see it on Taito Memories Vol. 1 for the PS2. The emulation on the American and European PS2 version is a bit off, since the rapid fire on the machine gun just doesn’t work, and adds in a bit of extra slowdown. By comparison, the Japanese PS2 version has a bit of slowdown, too, but the machine gun functions correctly. The Xbox and PC versions have other glitches, like lights that don’t go out when you shoot them. These all display with blurry, filtered visuals instead of the crisp 240p of the Saturn port.

This is good news. This is one of the PCB's I was really sad to see go when I sold a load of arcade stuff. My second ever arcade 1CC. Hopefully we're not going to victims of double digit frames of lag on this one, you do need to be surprisingly precise in parts on EAR.

1 hour ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Elevator Action Returns is such a great (relatively) hidden classic. The excellent Cleopatra Fortune arriving in November too:

ININ have been doing physical releases of the other Taito ports so good chance on these two aswell.

This is the one that has me really excited! Excellent little puzzler

2 hours ago, phillv85 said:

This is good news. This is one of the PCB's I was really sad to see go when I sold a load of arcade stuff. My second ever arcade 1CC. Hopefully we're not going to victims of double digit frames of lag on this one, you do need to be surprisingly precise in parts on EAR.

My god 1CC ing this is somthing to me indeed, the end section of the airport level just eats my lives :D

25 minutes ago, merrychan said:

My god 1CC ing this is somthing to me indeed, the end section of the airport level just eats my lives :D

The bit where the flying bastards come in? Just camp in the bottom right corner and grenade them to death, works best with Jad as his grenades are proximity.

On 04/11/2022 at 08:23, Siri said:

I want it, but the reviews on their earlier port of Layer Section & Galactic Attack has me a bit concerned about the quality of the port. I'll wait until I hear that it's good before buying - I already have the game on the Egret Mini, so there's at least some solace in that.

Hide contents

Where's my Rolling Thunder anthology for PC, Namco?

Yeah, this is one of my favourite games, but it's hard to really get behind a bunch of awkward, fudgy ports of titles that have worked well in MAME for 25 years. Everything announced as an S-Tribute game should have had a Hamster ACA release instead, and I hope this doesn't preclude some of them from eventually receiving that treatment...

(Thankfully, the Ray'z Chronology has us covered for a solid Rayforce port.) :)

• 4 weeks later...

PSA:  This is out now. 

picked it up on Switch last night. Seems tickety boo. I’m going to stick my fingers in my ears and go LALALALALA when it inevitably has 2 minutes of input lag. 

Though, it does seem a bit of a rip off at double the price when there’s not much else here compared to Arcade Archives releases. However I do like the extra bits of presentation like EAR borders etc etc. 

edit: especially when Metal Black got an Arc Arch release a week or so ago for £6.29

edit2:  BUT!!!! It DOES have the OG Elevator Action in there, which is a separate Arc Arch release so…..

Stream of consciousness over. 

Occasionally, this port will start up running much more slowly than it should. The issue is fixed by turning the game off and starting it again. This was no big deal for me, but I've just discovered that it can also slow down mid-game after a good start (and stay that way), which renders the port too unpredictable to play seriously in its current state, unfortunately.

(Until now, I'd been impressed with how little it felt like a kludgy port-of-a-port. It feels identical to the Saturn version when it's running well!)

If anyone is holding off buying this, it’s on the Xbox Iceland store (not the frozen food shop).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-is/p/elevator-action-returns-s-tribute/9p2r96pgmstr?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

You don’t need a VPN for this one. It’s 1399kr which works out around £8. You can use the payment card that’s associated with your Uk account.

On 08/12/2022 at 22:43, Klatrymadon said:

Occasionally, this port will start up running much more slowly than it should. The issue is fixed by turning the game off and starting it again. This was no big deal for me, but I've just discovered that it can also slow down mid-game after a good start (and stay that way), which renders the port too unpredictable to play seriously in its current state, unfortunately.

(Until now, I'd been impressed with how little it felt like a kludgy port-of-a-port. It feels identical to the Saturn version when it's running well!)

noticed the Switch version updated t’other day. Haven’t hunted for patch notes to see if this was resolved. 

edit: possibly not, though at least they’re addressing issues. 

https://city-connection.co.jp/s-tribute/taito/en/note/20221208001/