Have you left anything from your gaming collection to somebody in your will?

acidbearboy

Just had a will writing appointment and one of the questions asked was if I/we would like to leave any items of monetary or sentimental value to somebody specific rather than lumping everything into the estate. I just wondered if anybody here had anything listed in their will to go to a certain friend or family member, or perhaps even a charity or preservation group?

Yes, I’ve kind of grouped various collections of stuff to go to different people, with a note for them to keep/eBay/give away as they fit, so they don’t have to feel lumbered with it if they don’t want it.

part of the reason being that I don’t want my partner stuck with the decision making and also because I hope they will get enjoyment out of the stuff.

Anyway I feel much happier knowing that if should all get taken care of if needed. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Google document for my wife to be opened in the event she outlives me.

It goes into detail of which games she should sell privately as opposed to the majority which can just go as a joblot to a second hand shop.

The jewel in the crown is two copies of Yoshi No Cookie Oven de Kurupo, which is up there with the rarest of Superfamicom games.

That should net her several thousand.  I'm not sure she'll bother about, say, the Saturn shmups and NGPC collection.

In an earlier will my collection was split between family and friends, as I knew the other half would charity shop it, first chance she got...

However, that prior to birth of my son.

Now it'll be his to do with as he see fit. No clauses or covenants.

23 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

We've had the talk and given I'm now in the "death cleaning" phase of my life I'm going to start looking at selling anything I haven't used for ten years and am unlikely to use in the next ten so as not to burden my partner with getting rid.

Maybe just call it "de-cluttering" to avoid being a downer?

On 06/11/2022 at 10:57, fat flatulent git said:

That should net her several thousand

Any concerns that the bottom will fall out of the market as we age?

A large part of me thinks that the current rare / expensive video games are so as we are of the age that we wanted to play those things, or they were rarities in our time, say SNES - Saturn eras.

As time goes on, I wonder if we'll see SNES prices start to dive, and PS2, 3, 4... era prices rise instead

48 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Maybe just call it "de-cluttering" to avoid being a downer?

I should have quoted the original article where I first heard about it. https://www.metafilter.com/169893/Save-your-favourite-dildo-but-throw-away-the-other-15

Magnusson says that the process isn’t just for those contemplating making a visit to the great wine bar in the sky. It’s for all ages. “My motto is, if you don’t love it, lose it. If you don’t use it, lose it,” Magnusson tells me. (She loves a motto, the book is full of them. My favourite, when discussing how to deal with your secret vices, is this gem: “Save your favourite dildo, but throw away the other 15!”)

Mind you without fail as soon as I get rid of some old stuff my mother will turn up with something to offload on me that takes up that exact amount of space.

1 hour ago, Corranga said:

Any concerns that the bottom will fall out of the market as we age?

A large part of me thinks that the current rare / expensive video games are so as we are of the age that we wanted to play those things, or they were rarities in our time, say SNES - Saturn eras.

As time goes on, I wonder if we'll see SNES prices start to dive, and PS2, 3, 4... era prices rise instead

That's always possible.  It's a working document, not set in stone.  I keep an eye myself on prices of retro games.  Right now I'm taking enough pleasure in the ownership of them, but I might sell them in the future.  They are very rare indeed, so it's always going to be worth a private sale rather than as part of a a joblot to the local second hand shop.

For me, my intention is to sell most of my collection when my children reach 18 with the plan to give them half each to invest in something, whether it's towards education, towards starting up a business, property (if it's even affordable then) but I would have some say on what it is invested in. It will be money they have never had or known they were getting so they won't miss it if it does not bare fruit but also might really benefit them.

I have a fair idea of what it's worth today and image if I carry on as I am they will have a fair chunk each I imagine plus it will be sold up at a point where the above concern about prices bottoming out is still a way off.

Adam Buxton on some podcast or other talked about how, when you lose a parent you start to think about all the crap you own and what to do with it.  You start to realise that everything you buy becomes junk for someone else to deal with when you're gone.  

I feel sad about a book my Dad made. He bought CDs full of midi files and keyboard styles for pennies off eBay and categorised them by styles, voices, usability and so on.  But, like many people do, he made folders called new, best, use this one, and so on. After years of effort the hard drive in the workstation has thousands of files on and theres a big folder with printed spreadsheets of the music, the instruments, the styles, years worth of work... And yet it's a filing system only he understood. I have the workstation with all the music on, but without the filing system it's just a load of eBay CDs.  But with the book it makes sense... If you were my dad. So I keep the book because it has sentimental value even though it might as well be in a different language.  

If I found out I had a year to live, I'd go through the whole house, selling, sorting and doing whatever I could to make things easy for those left behind.  Sentimental feelings are important, but if you're married to a non-gamer who will take it all to the charity shop, you really need to put something in place to help if you're suddenly not there.

As I near my 50s this is something I have been thinking about a lot. What to do with my rooms of gaming stuff. I currently live alone, and have never had children. According to an app I use to catalogue my games it sits around the £silly money mark over about 1900 games. (I don't actually believe the prices listed though). And then there's my cupboards full of hardware I don't have catalogued. I often think about making a start on selling it all. But where do I start? Low value stuff, High value stuff. Would I want to play something I have sold? But if I die my sister would likely be left with clearing my house and she wouldn't have a clue. 

As for the original question I don't have a will yet (Something else I have been thinking about). But there isn't anyone in my circle of friends or family that would appreciate or even understand any of my collection. 

55 minutes ago, chipsgravy said:

As I near my 50s this is something I have been thinking about a lot. What to do with my rooms of gaming stuff. I currently live alone, and have never had children. According to an app I use to catalogue my games it sits around the £silly money mark over about 1900 games. (I don't actually believe the prices listed though). And then there's my cupboards full of hardware I don't have catalogued. I often think about making a start on selling it all. But where do I start? Low value stuff, High value stuff. Would I want to play something I have sold? But if I die my sister would likely be left with clearing my house and she wouldn't have a clue. 

As for the original question I don't have a will yet (Something else I have been thinking about). But there isn't anyone in my circle of friends or family that would appreciate or even understand any of my collection. 

Just sell it all and go on some amazing holidays. 

1 hour ago, chipsgravy said:

According to an app I use to catalogue my games it sits around the £silly money mark over about 1900 games. (I don't actually believe the prices listed though).

Thread drift, but maybe doesn't warrant a thread of it's own... I presume we're talking Gameye?

Mine has 1070 entries and an estimation over £45k which is laughable.  I think, for me anyway, it's in part because it prices using eBay data from the US, and adding US versions seems to be much, much easier than UK / PAL ones which makes up most of my collection.  I think it may also take the highest eBay prices, some of which may well be crazy / fake too?  Top of my collection apparently is Pokemon Box for Gamecube with a listed value of £1,380. 

Do we think it's worth buying all of those 50 quid copies on eBay then? ;)

50 minutes ago, Corranga said:

Thread drift, but maybe doesn't warrant a thread of it's own... I presume we're talking Gameye?

Mine has 1070 entries and an estimation over £45k which is laughable.  I think, for me anyway, it's in part because it prices using eBay data from the US, and adding US versions seems to be much, much easier than UK / PAL ones which makes up most of my collection.  I think it may also take the highest eBay prices, some of which may well be crazy / fake too?  Top of my collection apparently is Pokemon Box for Gamecube with a listed value of £1,380. 

Do we think it's worth buying all of those 50 quid copies on eBay then? ;)

I use CLZ Games app, as it seems to have most region games. But yea it pulls the prices from Price Charting which seems to be confused. It thinks my standard PAL Saturn Daytona USA CCE is worth £4171.00, maybe the USA Netlink version shares the same barcode??

So back on topic it's not feasable to print that list off and give it to my sister and tell her this is what you should be getting for everything.

3 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I don't really care, biggest concern is finding some nuke option for the PC. Christ, don't want some of the special folders getting discovered 🤣

🤷‍♂️ 

"Oh wow, I think I'll just delete that!"

"It's what he would have wanted"