Switch 2 - what do you want to see

KRP

6 hours ago, SMD said:

what was wrong with it?

My joycons are still drifting, even the repaired ones and those I bought for $79.99 long after the Nintendo repair program was spun up. The pad which came with my 2008 Jasper 360 is holding up better than 3 sets of joycons.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

That's grit in the dock, not the dock itself. The plastic the dock is made of isn't hard enough to scratch the screen. There's some proof out there with Rockwell Hardness Scale stats if you look.

So glad you're here to carry water for Nintendo, DeKay. 

1 hour ago, Ry said:

I would prefer a new dedicated home console. On par with PS5 and SX in regards to power. 

It just is not going to happen. The disparity between a high end console like that and a handheld would create too big a gulf in software for it to be a consideration, and given that their whole ethos surrounding Switch was to combine their strengths and stop developing for two separate platforms,  something highly unlikely they will turn their backs on.

The best you could hope for is a TV only version similar to what Sony did with the Vita and PSTV, but it wouldn’t be any more powerful because there would be no point, and again something that is unlikely seeing as they have not done it already with Switch. 

14 hours ago, deKay said:

That's grit in the dock, not the dock itself. The plastic the dock is made of isn't hard enough to scratch the screen. There's some proof out there with Rockwell Hardness Scale stats if you look.

13 hours ago, ilpostino said:

So glad you're here to carry water for Nintendo, DeKay. 

🎹 He's just an average fan with an average life. He plays from 9 to 5, hey hell, he pays the price.

They have to update soon as the Steam deck can already emulate it well, and we will see more third party handhelds launch that can emulate it.

Hell, phones will be emulate it.

This is always what happens when Nintendo hold off an upgrade cycle too long - technology moves on to the point that people can easily emulate it on other devices, piracy skyrockets, and they are forced to update the device regardless.

QoL

- OLED screen with HDR.

- Backwards compatibility with next gen updates/boosts to Nintendo titles (that are free lol)

- HD rumble that actually gets used this time

- ‘Proper’ sticks on joycons.

- Joycons that don’t break down so easily

- Shop and news sections baked in that aren’t laggy

- Voice chat on the device

Performance

- Steamdeck level hardware

- 4K Docked using DLSS or whatever it‘a called

- Faster memory

- A lot more memory which developers like I believe 

10 minutes ago, Quest said:

Also wondering this. Things like R4 cards and Wii cfw were a far bigger threat to Nintendo than any emulation.

also two of their most successful consoles of all time in terms of sales and profit...

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

They have to update soon as the Steam deck can already emulate it well, and we will see more third party handhelds launch that can emulate it.

This is always what happens when Nintendo hold off an upgrade cycle too long - technology moves on to the point that people can easily emulate it on other devices, piracy skyrockets, and they are forced to update the device regardless.

I doubt the real level of emulation of piracy here is hardly even noticeable. I don't think online forums or similar are the best place to understand what people are really doing. How many of your average first party Nintendo title buying public do you seriously think own a Steam Deck or anything more than a low powered laptop to do this emulation on or could work out how to? Let alone doing it on a phone and pairing a controller for a properly shit usebiility experience.

3 hours ago, Isaac said:

The only thing that would force Nintendo to do something before they’re ready is if sales slowed down, and that clearly hasn’t happened.

More power (especially for indie game ports), BC, better/more comfortable standard controllers, OLED screen as standard, more original games and fewer ports and sequels (I’ve not really enjoyed Nintendo’s Switch output vs the 3DS).

Bonus points if the system gets a chunk of tablet-like functionality built in.

An Apple Pencil-like stylus would be neat, especially if they could come up with a Wiimote esque input method as an equivalent for use when docked.

All I want is for them to give me exactly the same visuals but at 4k and at 60fps on a TV. 

There’s nothing else I need. As lovely as an oled screen is on a handheld, I’m just not a handheld gamer, so having a lovely natove resolution on my TV/monitor would be smashing please.

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

All I want is for them to give me exactly the same visuals but at 4k and at 60fps on a TV. 

There’s nothing else I need. As lovely as an oled screen is on a handheld, I’m just not a handheld gamer, so having a lovely natove resolution on my TV/monitor would be smashing please.

So at least 10 more years of waiting for you. 

Won’t happen with Nintendo. 

My main wish ia full BC with current gen Switch, game progress etc. But likely won’t happen because Nintendo wants all out money and gets away with it. No way they bin console “generations”. Their business model is endless remakes and remasters. Not even a value line of games this gen. 

If they ‘want all our money’ the easiest way to do that is through backwards compatibility with full access to the eshop and recurring subscription billing. I wouldn’t have thought they’d cut off a revenue stream like that now they’ve found their perfect format. Won’t stop them doing away with remakes though either. 

might come across as a bit nintendo defence force but I don't think they're interested in remaking everything endlessly. it was almost free when it was porting NES and SNES games but they've finally figured out how to plug gaps in their release calendar and locking up resources trying to bring the same games over and over again to their platforms is a waste of time and money. they had to make a clean break with the switch and they've done a fair job of making sure that titles are given a new life on the machine from the Wii U and now Wii.

it's much easier for them to release games in a way that upgraded hardware automatically bring performance benefits e.g. the way they use dynamic resolution and how they maintain frame rates is probably them with an eye on the future rather than embracing looser standards. it's frustrating now but being able to put your switch games in your switch 2 and seeing immmediate benefits is probably a payoff worth the annoyance.

i hope.

23 hours ago, Isaac said:

Emulation is a weird one. I’ve been finding that for old simple systems like the snes it works fine, as you would expect. Then when you get to newer systems, like the switch, the games seem to work ok (not great) on the emulators in the initial stages, then work less well as you progress through the games. I guess the first hour or so of games tend to get tested more on these emulators. 

Having just had the experience of picking up my Switch and remembering what a nice small and light portable is really like after so much Steam Deck usage I for one hope that even when they do bump specs for a new model (maybe in a few years, not soon) then they don't think it needs to be bigger. I don't care if other things are more powerful, I need them to stick to a properly good handheld form factor.

1. A super dock with built in dvd drive allowing GameCube, wii and wiiu back compat. 
2. Wiiu mode where the handset functions as the screen controller and the dock still outputs to tv. 
3. built in gameboy player

4. rgb and svideo out on dock for us crt affecionados. 
5. A range of colours at launch. 

40 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Having just had the experience of picking up my Switch and remembering what a nice small and light portable is really like after so much Steam Deck usage I for one hope that even when they do bump specs for a new model (maybe in a few years, not soon) then they don't think it needs to be bigger. I don't care if other things are more powerful, I need them to stick to a properly good handheld form factor.

The Steam Deck is significantly more comfortable to hold than a Switch, unless you add third-party grips to the Switch or something

21 minutes ago, Isaac said:

The Steam Deck is significantly more comfortable to hold than a Switch, unless you add third-party grips to the Switch or something

I think they're both uncomfortable in certain settings. For slightly small man hands.

I find the Switch to be fine generally although over longer sessions I can feel a little cramped on it. But I don't play much action-y stuff so for the most part I am not having to death grip the thing.

The Deck is better ergonomically but also flawed. It's a bit too big. Putting my thumbs on top of the analogue sticks feels slightly too far/high and they're not concave so I'm worried my grip will be lost when pressing to one side for too long. Plus, when held in certain positions the pure weight puts a lot of pressure on the palms which can start to give me pins and needles.

Ergonomics are different for all obviously. But the Deck is massive and heavy. Still wonderful of course but one I feel nervous around in a way I don't with the Switch.

31 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Switch is lighter though isn’t it? And there’s Switch Lite of course. 

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

If they ‘want all our money’ the easiest way to do that is through backwards compatibility with full access to the eshop and recurring subscription billing. I wouldn’t have thought they’d cut off a revenue stream like that now they’ve found their perfect format. Won’t stop them doing away with remakes though either. 

The Netflix model would be an interesting one to deploy. With your TV/Phone/Laptop, it doesn't become a worthless paperweight without a Netflix sub. A new Switch based on that model would. 

So you couldn't do the Netflix Shuffle of catching up on the new stuff and lapsing your sub until something else good comes out. You'd potentially need to stay subscribed to play existing stuff, and remove their impetus to keep content fresh and frequently released. Which isn't exactly a Nintendo strong point anyway.

This is, obviously, all total supposition though. And could be countered by just letting you play games you'd already played. Though then you could just sub for a month and play 2 mins of everything to get them into your library.