What's the Switch's signature game?

fat flatulent git

What's the Switch's signature game?  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Assuming I'm in charge and therefore am picking something reflective of the Switch's greatest quality, it'd be a nice split quadrant view of four superior multi-platform indie releases elevated to greater success and enjoyment by their launch on switch. The specific four is hard to choose, though; Celeste and Hollow Knight are clear essentials, but after that things get more arguable; I'd probably pick Paradise Killer and Streets of Rage 4.

2 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Assuming I'm in charge and therefore am picking something reflective of the Switch's greatest quality, it'd be a nice split quadrant view of four superior multi-platform indie releases elevated to greater success and enjoyment by their launch on switch. The specific four is hard to choose, though; Celeste and Hollow Knight are clear essentials, but after that things get more arguable; I'd probably pick Paradise Killer and Streets of Rage 4.

None of those became almost synonymous with the Switch.

We're looking for the equivalent of Tetris or Pokémon on the Gameboy.

14 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Breath of the Wild is a Wii U game.

Yep. Same with MK8, ultimately.

Odyssey was the game I bought a Switch for, bought on launch and didn't stop playing until I clocked it, so that's my pick.

2 minutes ago, Popo said:

It’s Mariocars, you fools. By unit sales, there are more copies of it out there than Switches. 

46.8m copies of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, 113.5m Switches.

AC is 39m

Smash is 29m

BOTW is 27m

Pokemon S/S is 25m

Mario Odyssey is 24m

6 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Surely at this point right now it's Splatoon 3? What we old folk consider a proper game is not necessarily relevant. That game be doing crazy among the youths!

Among the youth it is Fortnite surely? 

I think it’s got to be BOTW.  Mario Odyssey and Animal Crossing are strong contenders and Mario Kart is Mario Kart but those games were all just refinements of an existing formula whereas BOTW broke new ground in a spectacular and successful way. It’s going to be the game people remember the Switch for in twenty years time. 

1 hour ago, ChewMagma said:

I would definitely not pick anything that wasn't a console exclusive, but Wiper is gonna Wiper I guess.

I mean, 50% of people have picked Breath of the Wild so far, and Tetris has been repeatedly flagged up as the Gameboy's signature game, so platform exclusivity is clearly not a key criterion. I don't try to assume what other people will consider to be the most iconic game for a system, because I generally can't predict other people's preferences, but for me personally the games I most associate with the Switch are those I listed (and if pressed to pick just one, I'd go with Hollow Knight). Much as I'd certainly pick Persona 4 for the Vita, and Wipeout or Tomb Raider for the PS1, despite none of those being exclusives either!