New Naked Gun

JohnC

Talks are underway for another Naked Gun. The Ed Helms one never happened. This would star Liam Neeson, likely as the son of Frank Drebin rather than stepping into Drebin's shoes. It's got the writers and director of the recent Chip 'n Dale movie attached.

https://deadline.com/2022/10/naked-gun-paramount-liam-neeson-lonely-islands-akiva-schaffer-1235144065/

1 hour ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Does Liam Neeson do comedy? I’ve only ever seen him punch people. And wolves.

He was Good Cop / Bad Cop in the Lego Movie; I watched that the other day and thought that Liam Neeson should do more comedy, he was really great in the role. 

Not sure about doing more Naked Gun, admittedly. That seemed like the classic situation of the right people working on the right film at the right time. It doesn’t feel like something you could recreate; this feels more akin to Steve Martin making another Pink Panther film. 

It'd be interesting to see what the writers think a Naked Gun style film looks like in the 2020s, as the type of humour we see these days has changed a lot. Even the original films were very different to those around it at the time and felt like they were in their own bubble.

4 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Does Liam Neeson do comedy? I’ve only ever seen him punch people. And wolves.

you mean the movie with the wolves wasn't meant to be a comedy???!?? Next you'll be telling me DARKMAN was played straight.

He played himself on an episode of Atlanta recent where he was pretty funny. 

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Talks are underway for another Naked Gun. The Ed Helms one never happened. This would star Liam Neeson, likely as the son of Frank Drebin rather than stepping into Drebin's shoes. It's got the writers and director of the recent Chip 'n Dale movie attached.

https://deadline.com/2022/10/naked-gun-paramount-liam-neeson-lonely-islands-akiva-schaffer-1235144065/

Please No.gif

The director is the guy from the Lonely Island who also directed Hot Rod and Pop Star: Never Stop Never Stopping, which was one of the funniest films of the past decade. I am dubious whether reviving the Naked Gun is a good idea, but that guy has a pretty solid comedy CV.  

Chip and Dale did a good job of modernising a franchise, and Popstar is gloriously irrelevant, so there’s enough pedigree behind the production.

Think Liam Neeson is a good choice for Drebin Jr too. Colour me optimistic this will be a bit of a treat.

What will be hardest to reproduce will be the slapstick elements of the originals. Leslie Nielson was fantastic at physical comedy and everything else tbh. Those are big shoes to fill. I like the team behind this and Liam Neeson though so I've got my fingers crossed. Police Squad and especially the first Naked Gun are still hilarious and favourites for me if I'm feeling down. 

On 14/10/2022 at 11:03, Gabe said:

It'd be interesting to see what the writers think a Naked Gun style film looks like in the 2020s, as the type of humour we see these days has changed a lot. Even the original films were very different to those around it at the time and felt like they were in their own bubble.

Closest thing I can think of is Danger 5, sort of. Although that goes completely bananas in ways Naked Gun never quite did.

On 15/10/2022 at 17:11, HarMGM said:

Closest thing I can think of is Danger 5, sort of. Although that goes completely bananas in ways Naked Gun never quite did.

Angie Tribeca tried the spoof detective thing a few years back. They got two seasons out of it, the second season littered with big name cameos. It had some good gags in there but overall more misses than hits.