Emulation on Steam Deck

Gotters

Couldn't see a folder for this so thought may be worth starting one.

I've mentioned several times in the main mega thread how impressed I am with the deck for emulation.

Got the older consoles running with no problems, PS2 & Gamecube are really impressive.

First I've hit a wall with is the OG Xbox via XEmu and emudeck - got the required bios files and HD images but whenever I try to open a game it says 'please insert an xbox disc' - I think from reading this may be related to the emulator needing games not is iso format but an xiso one. Things trickier for me as all my desktops are mac so can't just pop out the SD card and tinker with it, need to do everything on the deck itself.

Anybody had any joy getting xbox working, not tried but was also thinking about X360 and PS3 and if they are clean or a bit more fiddly ?

I've got a few Xbox games on my Steam Deck (Jet Set Radio Future, Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb and Panzer Dragoon Orta) - all three are ".xiso.iso" format. I'm sure you should be able to find these in a certain online Archive maintained by some kind of Org.

I will warn you - xemu is a bit slow on the deck, although performance has improved a fair bit lately. All 3 games I have are certainly playable, but there's some fair old slowdown in places.

Also, I think any 360 emulation requires windows, right? Might not be worth the effort. 

PS3 emulation is generally further along and probably worth a go. But I hear it gets hot and eats battery. 

An option could be running them from a decent PC and streaming them? 

This was really helpful in explaining how to convert iso to xiso if you need (and I needed):

Don't know what you can do if you have a mac though.

Otherwise @Gotters keep in mind that after inserting the disc by selecting the xiso, you need to select 'reset' in the Xemu menu to actually start the game. This will reboot the Xbox system and launch the game.

I tried Tenchu Return from Darkness but it runs in slow motion :( Couldn't see any rendering options that I could maybe dial down for better performance either.

Cheers, I've watched a few vids on converting the files over but not sure it's worth the faff if the emulation isn't actually that good.

The impressive thing with PS2 & Gamecube so far is how simple it's been to get them setup and play things. Only games I've had issue with on PS2 are the Hot Shot Golf titles, which seem to have some grass rendering issue which means they run like treacle once you get on course, there are patches available for the emu but not looked into those yet as prefer things simple.

Impressed with how well the handling holds up on the original MSR on Dreamcast, Bizarre Creations really did know how to make things feel good.

I wouldn't bother with JSRF. Runs fine until you boost, when it drops into single digit frames.

F Zero GX on the Gamecube does not run well either. The first track might initially seem okay, but it'll be bouncing between 45-60 (based on the Steam frame counter) with music stuttering. Even if you use PowerTools to override SMT it *still* doesn't run locked.

I've watched lots of videos for F Zero GX on the Deck (and other devices) where people only test the first track (also true of Xbox JSRF videos), or describe it as running 'really well' on later levels, and yet if they bother to show any other tracks, zoom in on their FPS counter and it's sub-50.

53 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

What’s the best way to get started as I’ve seen there is emudeck and other options worth considering?

Go watch Retro Game Corps vids on YouTube. 

He does step by step guides and is chilled out and not an annoying cunt. I watch all his vids on emulation and handhelds. 

28 minutes ago, Ry said:

Go watch Retro Game Corps vids on YouTube. 

He does step by step guides and is chilled out and not an annoying cunt. I watch all his vids on emulation and handhelds. 

Seconded. Retro Game Corps is the best for this kind of stuff. He also covers loads of the retro gaming handhelds and how to best set them up. Most of the time he does written guides on his website too which is great.

Emulation on the Deck falls down to three approaches currently. Retrodeck, Emudeck and Batocera. I've only tried emudeck but from what I understand it goes like this

Retrodeck should be available in the Discover app in desktop mode. Download and run that and it's one and done.

Emudeck is more complicated but also seems to be super configurable and tweakable (That I'm aware of).

Batocera is a complete operating system designed for retro gaming. You'd install it on its own microsd card and boot into that instead of steamos.

https://retrodeck.net/

https://batocera.org/

One question I do have. If I have Emudeck installed and then add Retrodeck do they clash at all?

For me, I haven’t quite settled on an emulation method for my Deck. EmuDeck is great and everything but it feels so messy with files all over the place, and I had major issues with saving config in RetroArch with it too, and had to reinstall a few times due to some other config issues.

Been trying RetroDeck for the last couple of weeks and it does seem a lot cleaner. Booted into Paper Mario 2 straight away and it worked without any extra config, and I was just able to enjoy it for an hour or so. Love this.

Batocera sounds great, but the whole switching OSes puts me off (I know it’s holding two buttons, but the waiting around). Will be trying it out soon though.

52 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Has anyone been running a Commodore 64 emulator on it?  I'm getting my annual urge to play Pooyan and Bruce Lee.

The spectrum version of Bruce Lee is the only way to go. 

Although I'm having no joy with Zx Spectrum emulation. When I add the file I get the loading/boot screen but controls don't work and game won't start. 

25 minutes ago, Ry said:

Although I'm having no joy with Zx Spectrum emulation. When I add the file I get the loading/boot screen but controls don't work and game won't start. 

I had these problems on my retro handheld. I can't remember how to do it but in the retroarch menus you need to make some config changes. The first is to assign a button to whichever retroarch function calls the on screen keyboard. Most games are going to need this to do things like choose the controller type (Spectrum side) and often just to start the game. Also you'll need to setup a control config for the joystick itself. Most commonly Kemston or Cursor. I never found a good way of changing these other than manually for whatever the game needed. It's a bit of a mess. For some reason none of this is setup for you in Emudeck (Bizarrely it is in the c64 and Atari ST emulator that I've tried).

Also by default retroarch won't save config changes for you automatically. You'll either need to find the save option in the often incomprehensible menus or find the "Auto save on quit) option which might actually be more dangerous :)

The worst offense by Emudeck by a long shot is not including by default the Singe emulator for laserdisc games. It's bizarre. There's a linux version and you can definitely add it yourself.

9 hours ago, Ry said:

I’m with you on this, mainly I’d say as I still hold the teenager me deeply held hatred of the C64 (which I didn’t own) and love for the Sinclair machines (which I had at least 3 of).

Didn't get onto the Commodore train until the Amiga, then my hatred switched to Atari ST.

On 10/10/2022 at 17:32, Gotters said:

Cheers, I've watched a few vids on converting the files over but not sure it's worth the faff if the emulation isn't actually that good.

The impressive thing with PS2 & Gamecube so far is how simple it's been to get them setup and play things. Only games I've had issue with on PS2 are the Hot Shot Golf titles, which seem to have some grass rendering issue which means they run like treacle once you get on course, there are patches available for the emu but not looked into those yet as prefer things simple.

Impressed with how well the handling holds up on the original MSR on Dreamcast, Bizarre Creations really did know how to make things feel good.

If you change the rendering to software, from Vulcan etc then it works brilliantly. 

I've assigned the right touch pad click as a hotkey to Toggle Software Rendering. Works very well. 

37 minutes ago, Spleen said:

If you change the rendering to software, from Vulcan etc then it works brilliantly. 

I've assigned the right touch pad click as a hotkey to Toggle Software Rendering. Works very well. 

that worked a charm, hot shots fore is now fine looking.

i opened ps2 emulator up and changed setting before then opening game so suspect i’ve made a global change on that rendering thing, are game specific setups possible as i suspect vulcan was making other games look better ?

I just setup Primehack tonight with the Wii version of the trilogy. I've never played the games before but this is really good. Default control scheme is presetup when installing via Emudeck.

Also Bruce Lee was better on the c64

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

that worked a charm, hot shots fore is now fine looking.

i opened ps2 emulator up and changed setting before then opening game so suspect i’ve made a global change on that rendering thing, are game specific setups possible as i suspect vulcan was making other games look better ?

I'm unsure really, that's why I put the toggle on a hot key, Vulcan does seem to make games look better. 

I have run emudeck, had to reinstall it at one point but on the whole it's been relatively simple and pain free. Have been emulating my gamecube stuff so far but I do have a couple of PS1 & PS2 titles to try out. I picked them up in the summer when I was getting a bit mad buying new stuff and haven't gotten round to trying them, it's much easier to game on the deck than sitting at my desk with the kids about so imagine they will get a lot of game time this way.

Have started with fire emblem on the cube and it really does play extremely well. I can't say I have been beyond that yet but I did pick up a few Saturn games over the summer as well that I haven't gotten round to trying so might see how they do on the deck, is retroarch the best option for Saturn stuff?

21 hours ago, Spleen said:

I'm unsure really, that's why I put the toggle on a hot key, Vulcan does seem to make games look better. 

so I've put the rendering toggle on a hotkey on the back by opening up the emulator in desktop mode and choosing that

I go back into steam mode and open up a game but the hotkey doesn't do anything - anything obvious you can think I'm doing wrong ?

ta for the help, got Hot Shots working just want to streamline turning on/off the rendering if possible.

Tried Batocera on a spare SD card and I love almost everything about it - looks slick, I love that’s it’s separate from the main OS, and there’s certainly scope for it to be perfectly setup for the Deck.

However, it doesn’t seem to have a standby mode. Pressing sleep puts the Deck into standby, but when you press it again it boots into SteamOS. So I guess you need to remember to hold the buttons to get the boot menu up each time? Seems far too fiddly, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

What are some great pick-up-and-play games for the 360/Dreamcast/PS2 era?

Want some arcade racers on my steam deck but not sure what to try.

There are a LOT. 

A few arcade racers (just the main ones that come to mind).

PS2:

Ridge Racer 5 

Battle Gear 2 and 3 

Burnout 2 (and the rest I suppose)

Shox Rally (a surprisingly good game)

Outrun 2

The King of Route 66

Motorstorm Arctic Edge

Sega Rally 95

Splashdown Rides Gone Wild

PS3/360:

Daytona USA

Outrun 2 online

Sega Rally Online Arcade (not Revo)

Ridge Racer 6(360) 7 (PS3)

Blur

Split Second (Also on steam)

Pure (Also on steam)

GTI Club

Motorstorm games (PS3)

Sonic etc etc Transformed (Also on Steam and highly recommended over the console versions).

I've got so much running well that I've given up on the Xbox at present, saw a good vid showing how emulation is getting there on it and the 360 but not quite there yet for a lot of games.

Not touched PS3 but its starting to get into the territory of too recent for me, similar with Wii U.

Did get the Wii emu running first time and got Little Kings Story running, which I recall really liking when it came out.

GBA also running first time and nicely, so got a couple of old commuting faves on there, forgot how bastard hard Kuru Kuru Kururin is.

I've stuck all the roms onto a 128gb card, which surprise surprise I've almost filled. Got a bargain 256gb card from the prime sale. Without a PC can I just move the entire contents of the smaller card onto the main steam deck drive then stick in and format the new card and move it all back ? Hoping emu deck will pick it all up seamlessly.