Best part of a christmas dinner - FIGHT!

MarkN

I'm veggie so fewer options, but even then:

Bread sauce by a country mile. Absolutely love the stuff. Christmas is not christmas without it. I'd imagine there will be calls from the roast potato faction bigging up their corner, and I am bang alongside that and understand where you're coming from (done well they're sublime and I will be aiming for that this year once more). But roasties come second, and bread sauce wins.

Bring it on. ;)

2 hours ago, multi said:

The best part is when it's all over and we can get back to normal mode.

Seriously, fuck Christmas and it's false jollity and all its shitty food.

Ha ha - that's another option. Working in a supermarket I get two days off for Christmas tops. I spend most of Xmas day getting merrily drunk whilst cooking my dinner, and have a whale of a time doing it - usually listening to the greatest hits of Nancy Sinatra, or something equally lovely. Xmas dinner is full of stuff I never usually bother to eat. Stuffing, bread sauce, roast parsnips and spuds, sprouts etc. It takes ages, but I enjoy the hell out of it, and it makes such a change to what I usually eat (one pot meals like veggie chilli, currys etc.). Could not care less for the event itself really, but throw myself at it just for dinner and hope there's something fun on telly to watch when it's finally done.

I think the four month build-up is ridiculous, the re-branding of half the products in the supermarket is farcical, and the outlay on decorations and lighting an absolute nonsense.

But bread sauce is proper nom!

I have always thought bread sauce was an abomination that shouldn't be allowed within 100 paces of a nice roast dinner. It's one of the few relatively common supermarket foods that brings out a physical revulsion if I think of eating it.

As I upped my roast potato game I really do believe that the roast spud is the cornerstone that any good roast dinner sits around. Yukon Golds or specific Harry & Percy roasting spuds give a great golden crunch, King Edwards & Maris Pipers great too but slightly dryer and give a thinner armour plating.

I love everything on the plate for a xmas dinner (stuffing, sausage products, roasted veggies, turkey, cranberry - every scrap of it) but the roastie is the star

Thing is I eat most of the things on a Christmas dinner plate at least a bit during the year anyway. A roast is not an uncommon meal. At least once or twice a month.

But I love bread sauce too. And maybe part of why I love it is so many people these days seem to not really be sure what it is (at least the proper stuff).

Stuffing.    I make a delicious bacon, sausage meat, sage, chestnut, apricot, clementine one that is basically a meal in itself.   The strong flavours compliment everything else on the plate, and makes for an incredible sandwich for the next few days.

I used to think Bread Sauce was an absolute waste of space, but I've recently changed my view on it and realised that it's something that if spiced correctly, brings everything on the plate together.

Honeyed parsnips are probably the best veg on the plate.  

I'm not sure (with acknowledgement that the veggies have an excuse) how anyone can look at a plate with a sausage wrapped in bacon on it and have eyes for anything else.

I'd have a whole plate of them and nothing else, with a pot of cranberry sauce and a pot of gravy for dipping.

• 2 months later...

Bread sauce isn't even on my Christmas food list. Never had it with Christmas dinner in my 48 years. Sell it to me, what's it supposed to be like? I've had it before with roasts in general, and had filed it under "pointless".

My favourite element is the stuffing. Specifically because one of the best meals of Christmas isn't the roast dinner, but sandwiches made with turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and....

SALAD CREAM!

5 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Bread sauce isn't even on my Christmas food list. Never had it with Christmas dinner in my 48 years. Sell it to me, what's it supposed to be like? I've had it before with roasts in general, and had filed it under "pointless".

it's soggy mass of barely liquified lumpy mucus bread with a hint of nutmeg or spice which shouldn't really even be classified as a foodstuff, let alone be anywhere near a great meal like a xmas roast dinner.

5 minutes ago, Gotters said:

it's soggy mass of barely liquified lumpy mucus bread with a hint of nutmeg or spice which shouldn't really even be classified as a foodstuff, let alone be anywhere near a great meal like a xmas roast dinner.

Yeah, I mean - I was holding back really. But that's definitely where I'd put it in my mind.

If there's beef on my Xmas plate, and there will be, then I'll be having Horseradish Sauce anyway.

7 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Bread sauce isn't even on my Christmas food list. Never had it with Christmas dinner in my 48 years. Sell it to me, what's it supposed to be like?

It's fantastic. It's a thick, hearty, mildly onion-y sauce, spiced gently with nutmeg and cloves. It's mainly made of breadcrumbs, and is subtle and understated, which is a blessed relief given that most Christmas food is highly-flavoured (sweet, spicy, rich - frequently all 3 together).

FWIW, the (joint) second best bit of Christmas dinner is the stuffing, also onion-y, mildly-flavoured (but with herbs rather than spices), and also largely made of breadcrumbs. The two things are very similar, really.

Best part of Christmas dinner is all of it but reheated in the oven the next evening in a big dish of gravy.  Never normally get to have that though as typically everyone wants something 'not roast' on Boxing Day or we are off visiting family that day.

I often do a similar next day thing after a weekend roast too

44 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’ve never even heard of bread sauce. 

We don’t do Christmas but I think I might do a roast on the weekend and experiment with the bread sauce. What’s your recipe, MarkN?

Sadly I just use a packet mix. That would be my advice as a way in.

My mum makes it from scratch. It seems to be a really simple one though.

Hot damn, you might have just sent down a challenge though. I might have to try to do this from scratch this year. I've got a couple of packets of ready mix lined up for the day, and beyond, but I don't like not knowing stuff. And this sounds like something I can have a proper go at. Something to have a pop at when I'm getting squiffy on Christmas Eve (once the sprouts have been dealt with).

16 hours ago, MarkN said:

It's fantastic. It's a thick, hearty, mildly onion-y sauce, spiced gently with nutmeg and cloves. It's mainly made of breadcrumbs, and is subtle and understated, which is a blessed relief given that most Christmas food is highly-flavoured (sweet, spicy, rich - frequently all 3 together).

I mean, it doesn't sound disgusting when described like that - but equally I'm not sure I want nutmeg near my roast dinner, and I certainly don't want cloves, which I associate with toothache.

Either way, I really think you may have oversold its billing, as it clearly very much is still Christmas without bread sauce, given the amount of people in here saying "lolwhut?", and the existence of several components far more associated with the BIG DAY. If you'd said it's not Christmas without turkey you'd get the odd person saying "goose!" but generally speaking you'd be right.

Honestly I enjoy the satellite meals of Christmas more than the main event. Boxing day cold meat, mash and pickles. Bubble and Squeak brunch with a fried egg. The improvised pie you make from chunks of leftover ham and turkey. Turkey curry. Love all that stuff.

11 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’ve never even heard of bread sauce. 

We don’t do Christmas but I think I might do a roast on the weekend and experiment with the bread sauce. What’s your recipe, MarkN?

11 hours ago, MarkN said:

Sadly I just use a packet mix. That would be my advice as a way in.

My mum makes it from scratch. It seems to be a really simple one though.

Hot damn, you might have just sent down a challenge though. I might have to try to do this from scratch this year. I've got a couple of packets of ready mix lined up for the day, and beyond, but I don't like not knowing stuff. And this sounds like something I can have a proper go at. Something to have a pop at when I'm getting squiffy on Christmas Eve (once the sprouts have been dealt with).

I roughly use this one:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/traditional-bread-sauce

Milk (optionally a little cream for extra richness) with some aromatics (peppercorns, cloves, bay leaves)

Bring to a simmer

Take off heat and leave for 30 mins

Sieve out the aromatics.

Stir in breadcrumbs and warm again (use milk to adjust texture to taste - I quite like thick and gloopy but others like more saucy)

Touch of butter and grated nutmeg

My mum would put in half an onion and stick the cloves into it during the infusing phase

A literal hug in a bowl.

There is nothing better with roast chicken*

* It even makes turkey an acceptable meat (but still worse than almost all others)

7 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Thanks, both. Given I’ve never done a traditional roast before, I might focus on the other bits and phone it in with a mix on this occasion - will also hopefully give me a rough idea of what we’re aiming for on subsequent occasions. What’s your packet mix of choice, @MarkN?

I just use the supermarket's own one when I use mix.

Mix is good for quick and simple. Compared to most homemade I'd say it's a far bit more saucy. Which isn't really surprising given it's a packet of powder you add to milk and heat.

I'd also throw stuffing the mix. Nothing too complex, sage and onion stuffing mix with sausage meat.. nice and crispy on the top. Also beautiful in the later inevitable turkey sandwich. As a close runner up and maybe unpopular but it's the sprout!