Shows with different opening and closing themes

MarkN

I've been watching re-runs of The Sweeney on ITV4 whilst I have a late lunch on my time off. One of the things that was always obvious, but needed picking apart is that the closing theme tune is a melancholy, thoughtful version of the rambunctious opening theme. It's really effective. The opening is right up in your grill (it's an absolute corker to be honest). The closer is more like, well, it's done now, but something probably went very wrong and now time to reflect.

This must have been done elsewhere, would like to see examples, basically.

(As an aside re-watching The Sweeney as a 50 year old is ace - you just get to see so many folk that popped up in all the programs you grew up watching. I saw Ford Prefect in an episode a week or two ago, and I really hope the episode where Janet Ellis turns up wearing a WW2 German soldiers helmet is shown soon (I saw this one at random maybe twenty years ago, and it stuck with me - Janet Ellis from Blue Peter in a German Helmet in bed with John Thaw - it changes a young man, let me tell you). I see Brian Blessed and June Brown in the credits in this video. There was a chap in today's episode that must have had "hard case" written on his CV for 70's tv shows. Don't know his name but I recognise him as being a bastard in so many things. Lovely stuff.)

Edit (you might need to rewind - I think I've pasted in a time stamp again :( )

Oh boy. Bottom was so very good, and that outro is ace. I think this is really important  (for me at least) - the whole package is key. The intro, the outro, the credits - people remember them when done well.

You can do them piss-poor and go home early, or you can do them well and be remembered.

7 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Red Dwarf, obviously, especially with the more dramatic intro of the early seasons. compared to the song at the end.

Then Bottom. A more sombre opening then the a banging end theme that really brings the show to a close.

The end credits to Bottom has been my ringtone for so long, I automatically looked at my phone when I played that :) 

38 minutes ago, Danster said:

The end credits to Bottom has been my ringtone for so long, I automatically looked at my phone when I played that :) 

Trouble is, it's hard to listen to it without having an image in your head of Richie being comically kicked in the nuts or something.

8 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Red Dwarf, obviously

They are the same tune, so does it still count? It was the first thing that popped into my head, anyway.

Thinking about it, the more upbeat intro from Series III onwards is mostly different. Like if played by a band and the guitarist just went off on his own.

The one that immediately jumped out at me because they were so completely different is Stingray.

Edit:  I just noticed while watching the Aqua Marina end credits, that the fish swimming around her in the underwater shots were straight out of a tropical fish tank.  There were Guppies, Swordtails the lot.🤣🤣🤣

Attack on Titan do it every season. Each season is a different intro and outro song so won't link them all, but they usually start each episode with something loud and metal then close with a piano piece.

This is the latest season

Intro

Outro

Yep, it's very unusual for anime not to have different opening and closing themes (and it's also common for them to change said themes each season, or even half-season).

Of course, anime being the low-hanging fruit of this genre isn't about to stop me posting a personal favourite combo: 

Just glorious cheese from start to finish.

On 06/10/2022 at 08:40, ZOK said:

Another anime of course…and like evo, both bangers with different moods:

Opening:

Closing:

Well, that's made my decision about what to watch this evening. It's been a little while since I watched through Bebop and it's movie.

15 hours ago, Quest said:

Somewhere I have the mini-CD single release of those two: 

O1CN01tar65G1NtfWdkrC5l_!!2208174791628.thumb.jpeg.b651164b39f06e33a5bb0fb594118e61.jpeg

Got nothing that plays those tiny CDs these days, sadly. 

Always glad to meet another connoisseur! 

20221008_232112_copy_765x1196.thumb.jpg.f00305edbe124b822a24b3064ced5d6c.jpg