Retro game prices on ebay

dvdx2

I sold most of my retro stuff about 10years ago, but recently I have been trying to build up a small collection of Japanese retro games for some of the older systems. Have to say the prices are making it pretty difficult. 

here’s what I mean

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165559382640?hash=item268c1bb270:g:i7oAAOSw6hViwV1B&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoJ0NDDFfg8NhRNI0JND4sLg8cjUmcEBs%2FJd1KiHMRw3tqKDXas5wMFRg8HBAp4uF9Ts2kY26yXsOBKwddGagzK8DqxBGfd8Rze3%2B%2FHQkuxa8k6gLtMaZwcsKcJLQd5T0gbe4hUPKkZ6f057SufQRQaDymaP2WfKFEhZQGB0bCKJnrGJoP%2FJn2IPfDjc5VV59SGnUyKI8HIw04st3kYz5vZE%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5TjmdbuYA

do you think this bubble will burst, or it’s the new norm?

I’m pretty sure it’s here to stay. If you’re after Japanese games I’ve found the cheapest way now is to get on a proxy buying service, save up a few hundred quid so you can bundle all the shipping together then just go wild on YAJ or Mercari Japan. You’ll end up paying VAT on what you buy when you get it shipped, but I find it’s still far cheaper than buying in the UK. Just check before you buy against eBay though, there are exceptions where the price of the game hasn’t caught up in Europe to a spike in Japan. 

14 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

If you’re after Japanese games I’ve found the cheapest way now is to get on a proxy buying service, save up a few hundred quid so you can bundle all the shipping together then just go wild on YAJ or Mercari Japan.

Is there a thread in the trading folder set up by @Treble which is doing exactly that?

A friend made an interesting point to me recently. Most retro games currently are going to certain age brackets, once those people either stop caring about gaming or pass away will younger generations want those games? Maybe, but certainly there is a lot of nostalgia for say Silent Hill which future generations won't have, or if there is remakes for example. So prices may start going down, look at Star Wars toys or nostalgia, it's a certain generation that loves the original trilogy, another that loves the prequels and so on, but the oldest generation still around who had access to original Star Wars stuff doesn't really care for it. Disney has done a fine job in keeping interest going for that franchise at least.

Also look at a lot of facebook groups or even youtubers, they collect for the sake of collecting. They don't enjoy the games, just the hunt or at the very least, the boxes. With a recession perhaps people will sell off their copies of Moho on Dreamcast because it's a crap game worth a fortune than sit in povity looking at the box on the shelf. Certainly some games like Pokemon are stupidly priced and they sold millions upon millions of copies, why is the price so high? Shenmue was worth nearly £100 a few years back, but has now fallen back down to around £20-£30. So i don't think games will always stay high or continue to grow, but it may take a lot of time for prices of certain games to drop back down.

This subject is right up my alley and something I rage about a lot. However, although I agree that rising prices are here to stay, one thing is very clear, at least imo. That is, that there are a LOT of speculators moving into video games who are actively trying to influence the market. By that I mean, there are sellers purposely buying up games with the express intention to then re auction them for vastly inflated prices. And by inflated I mean 5x to 6x or more the 'actual' real world price. I won't name them but if you frequent eBay a lot you'll know the ones I mean. Some people will say, well what's the 'actual' price anyway? To which I'd answer, the real price is an auction, simple as that. But what these speculators are doing are offering 'just over' amounts to grab items and effectively take them off the market. I'm sure of it. The effect then is that people doing a quick check of X game's worth see the stupid price it's going for in bins and assume that that is now the market price! Anyway, it's fucking despicable and ruining the hobby. Sorry for the rant!:wacko:

58 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Is there a thread in the trading folder set up by @Treble which is doing exactly that?

There is, I don’t know if Treble has it running now, but I’ve been doing it myself for years. It’s not quite the saving you used to get, but it’s definitely cheaper for a lot of stuff.

The real price isn’t necessarily an auction, because it largely depends on who is watching it.

I’ve seen things not sell and then on relisting go for more than the starting price because people have spotted it and then bid against each other to get it.

Likewise however, just because someone once bought a game for £100 doesn’t mean that’s what it’s worth. Just means that one person was prepared to pay that for it.

The scary thing, as mentioned, is people buying stuff up and then artificially inflating the price. Old games ARE a limited quantity and if someone has bought up a load and is trying to sell them for a high price then it’s just f**king everything up as people use eBay as a guide when they price stuff. I was at a retro fair the other week and the main stall was a guy with a tonne of stuff and an iPad. Basically everyone who asked the price of something, the guy looked it up on eBay and gave a relative price. Now this shit, really fcuks me off.

I actually watch quite a lot of stuff on eBay as I want to get an idea how good a price is by how fast it sells.

In the case of the the original post, £160 for Elemental Master is too much and I personally think it will just sit there (unless someone cracks). I say too much, I would still expect EM to be around the £100 mark, which isn’t exactly cheap.

Ive had some games from amazon japan cheaper than/not available on ebay, might be worth a look. Probably not as good a selection as the proxy thing though as a lot of sellers seem to have international sales disabled or something.

16 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

This subject is right up my alley and something I rage about a lot. However, although I agree that rising prices are here to stay, one thing is very clear, at least imo. That is, that there are a LOT of speculators moving into video games who are actively trying to influence the market. By that I mean, there are sellers purposely buying up games with the express intention to then re auction them for vastly inflated prices. And by inflated I mean 5x to 6x or more the 'actual' real world price. I won't name them but if you frequent eBay a lot you'll know the ones I mean. Some people will say, well what's the 'actual' price anyway? To which I'd answer, the real price is an auction, simple as that. But what these speculators are doing are offering 'just over' amounts to grab items and effectively take them off the market. I'm sure of it. The effect then is that people doing a quick check of X game's worth see the stupid price it's going for in bins and assume that that is now the market price! Anyway, it's fucking despicable and ruining the hobby. Sorry for the rant!:wacko:

You have to be an idiot to go by BIN prices though, as for years there's been people who are happy just to list things (maybe even things they have no real interest in selling) at ridiculous prices, just in case someone rich come along who is desperate to relive one particular game from their youth. 

I buy old games mags and the same thing happens there. People list old issues of magazines for 20-40 quid, and a quick check of sold prices shows you that no one has ever paid more that 5-10 quid for those magazines. 

25 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Yeah it’s not about the actual game anymore and just about the physical item. 

which is absurd when all it is is a pcb and few easily replicatable chips. 

I think also because of the investment too due to online influences.

Some sellers definitely get the whole games-as-an-investment thing mixed in with just buying games normally, deliberately or otherwise. Doesn't even have to be sealed. And maybe some collectors get sucked in feeling like if they don't grab it now it'll just go up. It depends on why they're selling/buying, and as has been said it's not so much about playing the games but owning them, being able to put them with the rest on the shelf. That'll create a vortex of prices.

It's fair to say there are a lot of scalpers and greedy people out there right now. Next few years might be interesting not sure the market will hold up with everything going on. General rule of thumb if everyone wants £200+ and you have 10+ copies sitting on ebay for months it ain't worth the price.

Really ebay should starting have a price drop system where price drop automatically after awhile, if the item doesn't sell. You can still get bargain, but yeah ebay really is a premium sale website, where you can expect to pay through the nose for an item.

16 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

If I was the sort of person who wanted a wall of desirable boxes behind me on a YouTube video I'd just buy repro boxes and stream from FPGA.

but what happens if you receive a legal bill for £500?

4 minutes ago, yakumo said:

I don't get this Sean?

someone tried to make a begging video for a $500 legal fee pertaining to copyright and licensing of photos, while standing in front of several grands worth of video games.

Never buy BIN, that system has ruined selling on eBay, it’s just full of people selling games for multiple times their auction prices. As was said the auction price is the true value of a game. 

I’ve been out of retro buying since the 360 came out and I sold my collection as I was happy enough with XBLA. Back then the majority of retro wasn’t valued by most, I built my collection in places like gamestation. Buying Saturn and Dreamcast games for less than a fiver that now goes for ridiculous cash. Makes me wish I hung on to them, especially the AES stuff. 

Refound a passion for old Sega consoles for the last year (MD and DC) mostly driven by the homebrew scenes on the systems which had made me want to go back to the games I love on them. Wouldn’t touch the MD prices, got a cart which has all MD games across all regions on it, when I pay for a Megadrive game it’s for a new homebrew release.  I’ve been dabbling with mostly Japanese  Dreamcast games while not as bad as the MD is massively inflated by sellers. I’ve got most my games on auction when it looked reasonable, recently picked up NTSC-J copies of DOA 2 for £8, Guilty Gear x £13, Daytona £15, all cheap as imo. However the majority of Dreamcast games are sold by sellers who value them far far greater and are distorting the market.  

One thing I’ve found odd since returning to retro is how inflated PAL games are. I’m used to them being in the past being looked down upon as an inferior product, but PAL Saturn and Dreamcast games are going for stupid money. 

i'm pretty sure it's the same speculator market that's hit almost all retro stuff, look at the price of toys and collectibles online these days. people are trading on nostalgia and using it to drive up the price of scare items.

the thing is that a lot of it feels like manipulation because its mostly a handful of people with deep pockets buying up collections then promoting the nostalgia online to stir up a frenzy again.

this means that even if the people who actually have nostalgia don't really want to get back into collecting this stuff, it still creates a feeling of FOMO for younger people looking to get into 'classic' items.

you'd hope that the bubble would burst but i think preservation efforts like accurate emulation and re-releases are more likely to allow people to (re) experience these older games.

I thought that the prices for things like Japanese Saturn, Famicon, AES and PC Engine software was going nuts in the late 00s nevermind  now. Predicted that the advent of virtual consoles and XBLS would burst the bubble. If anything it’s inflated it. WTF is going on with a Jaguar prices? You couldn’t give those away 20yrs ago. 

If there’s a retro system that’s pretty sane atm PS2 would be the place to get a nice collection of classics without spending a bomb. 

I wonder if we'll see more people settling for high quality reproduction boxes and manuals. The vitriol towards repro boxes online seems to be along the lines of "what if a collector buys one by mistake or an unscrupulous person sells it while claiming it's real?". It's all from the perspective of the collector and their precious investment.

I wonder if at some stage the general mood will swing towards "I would like a box and manual for my loose cart as that experience has a different feel than loading a rom on an everdrive/mister and why exactly should I give a shit about how the proliferation of reproduction cardboard packaging might influence some collector's financial investment?".

I also wonder how much of the retro CIB collecting going on today is based on interest in games and not just financial investment fomo.

A lot of people happen to want to get back into (having previously cashed out on) retro by buying the same few semi obscure shmups and expensive "rare" boxed games.

If you need the CIB original for all the retro games that just happen to be rather expensive in 2022 it's going to cost money, just like getting into any other collector scene infested with dealers/flippers where people buy rare/coveted items to show them off on a shelf/resell for more when the price inflates even more. 

On 25/09/2022 at 17:49, Ketchup said:

A friend made an interesting point to me recently. Most retro games currently are going to certain age brackets, once those people either stop caring about gaming or pass away will younger generations want those games? Maybe, but certainly there is a lot of nostalgia for say Silent Hill which future generations won't have, or if there is remakes for example. So prices may start going down, look at Star Wars toys or nostalgia, it's a certain generation that loves the original trilogy, another that loves the prequels and so on, but the oldest generation still around who had access to original Star Wars stuff doesn't really care for it. Disney has done a fine job in keeping interest going for that franchise at least.

Also look at a lot of facebook groups or even youtubers, they collect for the sake of collecting. They don't enjoy the games, just the hunt or at the very least, the boxes. With a recession perhaps people will sell off their copies of Moho on Dreamcast because it's a crap game worth a fortune than sit in povity looking at the box on the shelf. Certainly some games like Pokemon are stupidly priced and they sold millions upon millions of copies, why is the price so high? Shenmue was worth nearly £100 a few years back, but has now fallen back down to around £20-£30. So i don't think games will always stay high or continue to grow, but it may take a lot of time for prices of certain games to drop back down.

I was thinking about this, this morning.

I was generally in full agreement with the age bracket idea but thinking about it now, I’m not so sure.

I’m a self confessed Bargain Hunt addict and watch it regularly. When you look at ‘antiques’ the people buying them have no nostalgia for the item. They’re buying them due to rarity, condition, popularity, maker etc. no one is buying a Victorian silver tea spoon for £100 because they’re nostalgic for it. If the same happens with games, and there’s no reason why not, then it won’t matter if you have nostalgia for the item or not.

I still think it will affect prices but there will still be a value there.

They also have things like ‘made in the style of’, which I guess you could link to remakes, reproductions etc. which again have a value but not as much as the original.

Yeah there will always be people fascinated with history or older versions of things. I guess this is where games are different though. That spoon is still a spoon at the end of the day. Where as a copy of Silent Hill or some random Nes game will just get worse and worse by age. Potentially they won't have any use either due to bit rot or machines dying. Where as that spoon will always look and work like a spoon.

I guess also with games if you want it to just play, there are many other options to purchase or gain access to where as actual antiques have that physical property you can't just replace without the object being different.

So i don't think in 40 years these games will be worthless again but perhaps less people will be wanting them on their shelves maybe.

I think there are similarities with the comics market.

If you want to read the first appearance of Spider-Man, it's easily available online or in any number of cheap reprints. That doesn't stop Amazing Fantasy #15 being worth tens of thousands of pounds. 

People aren't buying Amazing Fantasy #15 because they have a particular nostalgia for that comic but because they have a love of the character or of the work of Steve Ditko and / or Stan Lee (or possibily because they're just speculating).

Even then though, I think it's generally an older market who have a desire to own physical media. Younger people seem more interested in the content and less bothered about what medium it's in.

Regarding the age bracket theory I agree with this because you see it for other types of collectibles.

Does anyone know if there any consoles that have peaked a few years ago and come back down? I’m thinking maybe old stuff before my time like Atari 2600 or Colecovision games for example where people who played on these consoles are mostly 50+ now and have really given up on nostalgia