Tango and Cash

Thread Owner

The often forgotten buddy movie..with Stallone and Russell as cops who have been framed and must not only escape prison but bring the fight to unlikely drug lord Jack Palance.

It’s actually pretty great and quite funny at times.  Quotable (he thinks he’s Rambo, bad cop worse cop, fubar), Brion James  and his purposely terrible cockney accent and nearly ever actor you’ll recognise in one way or another. 

It's an absolute bloody mess. The plot makes no sense whatsoever, every actor is clearly just doing their own thing, the tone whiplashes from scene to scene and even within scenes, Stallone's idea of being intelligent is to wear glasses.

I love it.  It's so stupid and so much fun.  And has the coolest RV in movies until that one at the end of Bulletproof Monk.

Sounds like a good time for a Tango & Cash and Bulletproof Monk double bill. Aside from the RV awesomeness, they also share some incredible bad guy British accents.

Tango & Cash was a 15 in the cinema when it came out, then an 18 on video. I remember this clearly, as my buddy refused to lie about his age to go see that film (we were maybe 13 at the time?) and then when we went to see something else the lady at the kiosk insisted we pay adult prices because we looked old enough to be 15. I had to wait until it was out on video. Worth it.

There's a probably a thread in which Tango and Cash and Bulletproof Monk both fit - objectively 6/10, three star out of five movies but have that indescribable something that makes them much more fun than they ought to be.  Mediocre but immensely watchable.

How do people get jobs as Hollywood screenwriters? I'd imagine you'd have to have some degree of talent. But then again Tango and Cash is proof that perhaps you don't. It's a bad, bad film. One that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. 

It's entertaining in the same way Plan Nine is entertaining I suppose. And on the 80s homoerotic scale, I'd rate it Tom of Finland.  Just under Maplethorpe which is top of the scale. 

5 minutes ago, mash said:

How do people get jobs as Hollywood screenwriters? I'd imagine you'd have to have some degree of talent. But then again Tango and Cash is proof that perhaps you don't. It's a bad, bad film. One that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. 

The WIki page describes the chaos - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tango_%26_Cash#Post-production

Studios getting in the way, producers getting in the way, Stallone getting in the way...