Your final days of gaming - what do you play?

Gabe

For whatever reason, your gameplaying days are about to end. In 500 hours, to be exact. The reason why doesn't matter, that's the rule of thread, deal with it :P

Given that, what do you play to fill your gaming time? Here are some rules:

• You can play whatever you want within that time, but to put some structure around it, the time each game takes to finish should be taken from https://howlongtobeat.com/
  • You must choose one of the three completion categories they use (main story, story + extras, completionist) and you can use different things for different games
  • For games without an actual end (i.e. Football Manager, score-attack games or MMOs) you can pick your own times - but those are the only exceptions
  • You can pick any game from any system, there are no restrictions based on what you currently own or anything
  • If you want to write a little bit about your choices, great! If you also indicate which of the three categorisations you used to complete it, that's helpful too 

This thread may well instantly die, but I think it could be a fun thought-experiement.

For me, based on a very quick think, I reckon I would go for the following to start (I will come back and edit this later):

Cyberpunk (main+extra, 59.5 hours) I do already own this (but on Stadia, which just seems to run badly for me), but am intending to get it on PC to then be able to enjoy with some shinies on.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey (main+extra, 83.5 hours) I also own this, but having only completed Origins fairly recently, I need a bit of time before doing similar all over again (albeit in a setting more to my liking than Egypt)

The Witcher 3 (main story, 55.5 hours) Mainly because everybody seems to love this - though I couldn't commit the 126 hours suggested for the main+extra, that's a lot of time spent in a world with pretty so-so combat.

Total hours (so far): 198.5 (!)

IF you play about 4 or 5hrs a week, each year gives you 200 to 260hrs to play with, each decade maye 2500hrs.

If your about 40 you've got about 7500hrs left.

But for my last 500? Whatever just been released. Let's get an idea of where it's going after I'm out of games.

If it was this year? I would try and finish Sekiro, Outer Wilds, and The Witness.

I’m not going to put the hours down as the times listed there bare little resemblance to how long I take to complete games. I’m clearly not very good. However…

1. I’d complete my current run through of The Last of Us Part 1 Remake. 

2. I’d do a fresh run through of Super Mario World, getting all 96 Exits. 

3. I’d play through Zelda: A Link to the Past again. 

4. Spend a good few hours going through Bare Knuckle / Streets of Rage I & II trying for 1 credit completes on each. 

5. See if I can finally get the 1 credit complete on Gate of Thunder on PC Engine CD. I get right near the end of the final level on 1 life and then it goes to shit every single time currently. 

6. A run through of F-Zero GX on GameCube, probably on normal. I don’t need the stress of the harder difficulties in my last hours. 

I’m sure there are more if add to the list as I think about them but I’d also spend a good amount of time playing Tetris, Puzzle Bobble and Super Street Fighter II.

If it counts I’d waste a lot of the time I have left to play reading about games and watching YouTube videos about them, much like I do now no doubt. 

I probably wouldn't finish anything. I've never finished much in my gaming career so far so no reason to change that. There's no way I'm spending more than 10 hours on anything I suspect. If a game hasn't shown me all it has in that time it was too long.

I'd sample new things for the most part exactly as I do today. Varied and oddball as can be ideally. I want to experience more mechanics, visual styles, graphical effects, and story telling techniques (through gameplay not cut scenes).

So that it's 500 hours wouldn't bother me.

I'm assuming the 500hrs already accounts for life stuff. Maybe the timer only starts ticking whilst the console is turned on or Steam is launched. ;) 

My original shortlist had my usual RPG favourites and things, but now I'm wondering if I should spend the hours trying more unknowns - the entire GC/Wii/WiiU/PS3/Xbone/3DS libraries I never touched, for instance... 🤔

3 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I'm assuming the 500hrs already accounts for life stuff. Maybe the timer only starts ticking whilst the console is turned on or Steam is launched. ;) 

Yeah, I thought I'd been clearer that you specifically have 500 hours of gaming time (no life stuff to distract from it), but re-reading the post I suppose you could interpret it like @Monkeyspill but I'm not sure why you would.

So yes, it's 500 hours of gaming, split over whatever hypothetical period you want, though it really doesn't matter.

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

500 hours?

assasins creed odyssey 

for 500 hours.

6 hours ago, Gabe said:
  • You must choose one of the three completion categories they use (main story, story + extras, completionist) and you can use different things for different games
  • For games without an actual end (i.e. Football Manager, score-attack games or MMOs) you can pick your own times - but those are the only exceptions

:quote:

If I'm not gaming any more (for some reason) and 500 hours is it for my gaming career then I'll play the old stuff that got me into games in the first place. Don't want to come to the end and go "well that was unexpectedly crap".

So: Super Metroid. Black and white Link's Awakening. SMB3. Resident Evil 1-4. Street Fighter II Turbo. OoT and Majora's Mask. Pokemon Silver. Star Fox. Metroid Prime.

Old games also have the benefit of not being bloated, so you can get through far more of them.

16 hours ago, Gabe said:

Cyberpunk (main+extra, 59.5 hours) I do already own this (but on Stadia, which just seems to run badly for me), but am intending to get it on PC to then be able to enjoy with some shinies on.

And mods, hopefully (?).