What’s your favourite retro game intro (no CGI)

beakbeak

8 hours ago, DarhkFox said:

Probably..

This is what I would say too. Throwing you straight into the game when it looked like it was still part of the intro was crazy at the time. I imagine most people died before they realised.

Puyo Puyo Sun and Flashback are up there for me, the former because it's even more hilariously unhinged than the rest of the series and the latter (Amiga version anyway) for being followed up by some amazing intro music.

Daytona USA intro/attract mode is probably my favourite overall.

Origin were all over this sort of thing but I remember seeing this running with a sound blaster in a PC shop in a small shopping centre off Oxford street - the plaza I think and it just blew me away...

A slightly late game for the thread, but the attract mode is still in-engine:

I couldn't find a decent upload, so did a quick recording myself from G-Darius HD. I've always liked the sudden break from the relative tranquility of the beginning, showing the biomechanical Thiima in 'hibernation' and behaving almost like normal sea life, to the all-hands-on-deck sortie of the protags.

3 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Still sends chills down my spine after nearly 3 decades.

For here; the mighty rule.

Oh man… ff6. I worked in an import shop when this came out. I’d been following how excited superplay were about this game but when I took a copy home to play, I was not prepared at all. I’d never seen a game that was so like a movie before. Incredible.

On 04/09/2022 at 08:10, Soulstar said:

Specifically this version as it’s the one I grew up with originally and contains the dripping blood. 

How come you ended up "growing up" with import SFC games? This was the dream for most. Was your dad a gamer as well, or did you live abroad or something?

Omega Boost on the Ps1 has an amazing FMV intro (though there is a bit of CGI, sorry):

Ghost in the Shell has an amazing anime intro:

Sorry if these are against the intentions of the thread, I just thought they were cool enough to share anyway. 

36 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Always been super impressed by the SNES Winter Gold intro.

Stylised visuals to cover up the lack of polygons. As good as a standard 16-bit cartridge game can pull off from a techincal standpoint?

This was done by the people that did State of the Art/ 9 Fingers demos on Amiga I believe. 

37 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Always been super impressed by the SNES Winter Gold intro.

Stylised visuals to cover up the lack of polygons. As good as a standard 16-bit cartridge game can pull off from a techincal standpoint?

I nearly posted this! It’s kind of insane and it goes on forever! 

These 3, mainly for the music ! Forget about the Zero Wing engrish , that music at 0:57 used to get me proper pumped up as a kiddo 

What a scene setter !

VF3TB using the in engine characters still looks good to this day !

Astonished it wasn't until the second page that we saw Final Fantasy VI/III, surely the best intro in the entire series!

I'm equally astonished at the absence of a particular genre (and the works of a specific developer within that genre) in this thread so far, as to me they provided some of the most memorable, most evocative, and most humorous openings of their era:

(I've excluded Fate of Atlantis's brilliant interactive intro, because, well, it's interactive)

9 hours ago, dataDave said:

How come you ended up "growing up" with import SFC games? This was the dream for most. Was your dad a gamer as well, or did you live abroad or something?

It was because I owned a Super Wildcard 32DX from about 95 and was down to my uncle who had friends that regularly got hold of games which often included imports all on floppy discs. Similarly with the PS1 as well when I went through the chipped era of gaming. 

Back in the late 80’s or something he ran some “word processing” clubs which really were very early swap clubs for the Atari St, one from a pub and one from a church of all places. I was too young to go to those but I think that’s pretty much where the connections came about originally.

He was a gamer and still is to a much lesser extent but he’s the reason I got so into gaming in the first place. 

This one seems a bit quant now but for some reason when I was a kid it scared the shit out of me and seemed really atmospheric:

Some of that art though is in retrospect pretty bad!

On 05/09/2022 at 17:02, Rex Grossman said:

I really think more people remember this intro than remember the game itself.

I've never seen this game until today, but I immediately guessed it was by the State of the Art people. SoftA was the most incredible thing I had seen on my A1200, I'm gobsmacked to see it in a SNES game! Wow!