Rumbleverse (f2p beat em up battle royale)

MattKB

Anyone playing this? I wasn’t sure at first but there’s a lot of strategy to had found. 

Essentially a 40 player battle royale, only you are punching and grappling across a city. You learn moves by reading comics, and you’re encouraged to get into combat by being awarded with perks. 

https://www.rumbleverse.com/en

Seems to have been quite well but quietly received. It did fall over the other week when a few streamers with big audiences were broadcasting but seems to have recovered nicely now. 

I haven’t played it but I’ve heard about it on podcasts, and watched gameplay footage online, and despite having a bit of an ugly aesthetic, the actual gameplay loop sounds kind of decent. I understand that it’s being developed by Iron Galaxy Studios, and even though they don’t always have hits, they did work on a bunch of Killer Instinct seasonal stuff, so I’m always interested in their projects related to fighting games. Using the wrestling ring as the premise for the Battle Royale death zone is a neat idea, and there are interesting touches like damage modifiers based on height (e.g. an elbow drop from the top of a skyscraper on someone running on the street) and your boring gun pickups in other games being replaced by pickups that are essentially melee-based, like special moves in fighting games. And I think there are super arts performed after building enough meter, because of course they are. There's also a system where you unlock perks after dealing a certain amount of damage - not in a combo, but generally. So with each hit you land you fill up a little meter, and every time it fills it will give you something and reset. This means that hit-and-run is kind of viable, rather than just going for KOs immediately.

It all sounds like what you would get if you wanted a BR game developed by fighting game enthusiasts… but the universal feel I’ve seen is that the aesthetic isn’t great. It’s trying for the cartoony mobile game look in a bid to appeal to the masses, and so there’s a bit of a barrier to get over before you’re able to try the gameplay. I’ve avoided a lot of online games because my connection hasn’t always been the best, but I would definitely like to try it out - in terms of creating an original concept, it seems like a much more interesting premise than Warner Smash Bros., at least.

35 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I understand that it’s being developed by Iron Galaxy Studios, and even though they don’t always have hits, they did work on a bunch of Killer Instinct seasonal stuff, so I’m always interested in their projects related to fighting games.

Ahh, no wonder all the fighting game streamers and YouTubers did sponsored content on this! Most seem to enjoy the footsies and combo aspect of the game. I have to admit to being a little curious about Rumbleverse but would rather spend my time playing actual fighting games if I’m taking the time to go online at the moment!

Also I've seen more than one comment or video make comparisons to Hulk: Ultimate Destruction in terms of climbing all over the place, which is surely a good thing. :P "What if H:UD but fighting game?"

1 hour ago, imp said:

Ahh, no wonder all the fighting game streamers and YouTubers did sponsored content on this! Most seem to enjoy the footsies and combo aspect of the game. I have to admit to being a little curious about Rumbleverse but would rather spend my time playing actual fighting games if I’m taking the time to go online at the moment!

Yes and yes. I think I've seen Sajam, Esteban, Maximilian etc. all getting in there :D but I have a lot of things vying for my time right now, so I'll wait on it.

Wasn’t enjoying this at first but stuck with it for an hour or so and really started to get into it. Not sure if the game will maintain any long term interest but it is a fun little diversion.

Suplexing somebody off the top of a massive skyscraper is pretty damn satisfying.