Immortality *spoilers*

Stanley

@Stanley Dude, where have I told anyone they are wrong? (Other than correcting you about Barry Gifford having written all of David Lynch’s films)? 😂

I’ve literally posted “if you like it and enjoy it then great”! I think you’ll find it’s other people that keep telling me I’m wrong because I don’t rate it. 

Having completed it I can see why someone would enjoy it. I’m just mystified why it’s getting so much praise such as it being ground breaking, a big leap forward for game stories., and incredibly original etc. I don’t think it’s any of those things if you’ve played Telling Lies/Her Story, or games like Returnal or Silent Hill 2, or have seen David Lynch’s stuff. In fact Silent Hill 2 and Returnal both have clearly been inspired by Lynch but they do their own original thing with the influences. What I’m saying is that this feels like it crosses over a line beyond just being influenced by Lynch and for me ends up feeling phoney. Bit like that Eeries song/vid that knocks off Nirvana (massive understatement). 😂

But anyway, it must be doing something right, because it’s getting people talking about it!

2 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

I’ve played it for a few hours this afternoon and still haven’t seen what happened to Marissa or the end credits. 

Shoujd I be concentrating on the ‘99 film?

It was 6+ hours for me to see the credits so just keep going everywhere. It is a bit luck of the draw, but actually I preferred it being more roundabout as I understood a lot more by the time I got there. 

1 hour ago, CrichStand said:

@Stanley Dude, where have I told anyone they are wrong? (Other than correcting you about Barry Gifford having written all of David Lynch’s films)? 😂

I’ve literally posted “if you like it and enjoy it then great”! I think you’ll find it’s other people that keep telling me I’m wrong because I don’t rate it. 

Having completed it I can see why someone would enjoy it. I’m just mystified why it’s getting so much praise such as it being ground breaking, a big leap forward for game stories., and incredibly original etc. I don’t think it’s any of those things if you’ve played Telling Lies/Her Story, or games like Returnal or Silent Hill 2, or have seen David Lynch’s stuff. In fact Silent Hill 2 and Returnal both have clearly been inspired by Lynch but they do their own original thing with the influences. What I’m saying is that this feels like it crosses over a line beyond just being influenced by Lynch and for me ends up feeling phoney. Bit like that Eeries song/vid that knocks off Nirvana (massive understatement). 😂

But anyway, it must be doing something right, because it’s getting people talking about it!

I didn’t say Barry Gifford wrote all of his films, if it came across that way then I apologise. 

23 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I didn’t say Barry Gifford wrote all of his films, if it came across that way then I apologise. 

No worries dude! Hopefully you didn’t take my response the wrong way either, it was meant as a joke.

Has anyone revealed 100% of the footage? I’m STILL thinking there has to be more to this, even though I’ve seen the credits roll and have got the basic premise. 😂 Watching another 10hrs of footage that doesn’t add anything more would be insane though..........but what if the real game starts here??? 🤣

@Ravern Just watched the “dummy” scene again. It’s not a dummy. It’s a person you can see them breathing and blinking. It looks to me like it then possibly switches to a dummy, as they couldn’t actually set fire to a human in real life! 😂

Found a clip which describes that the entities are soul eaters. Also found a clip where the female entity says she has killed the male entity before, but this time he was angry at her on his return. That it takes them time to return after a heavy death, which backs up my theory. 

So basically the literal take (and there isn’t really any other interpretation after seeing this stuff) on the main story is.......

There are only two immortal Fallen Angels/Soul Eaters left. One male and one female, who devour their hosts and take on their form. They fall out and kill each other a lot. Marissa was devoured by the female Soul Eater at some point. In this form she killed the male Soul Eater, who came back and then killed her. He burnt her body and then the female Soul Eater has been on the other side for a long time after a heavy death. Now she is ready to come back in the body of the player of Immortality.

Basically, it’s a load of old cobblers! There are massive plot holes all over the place too. Watched 10hrs of really dull footage for that.

I played some more last and unearthed quite a bit of new footage - it’s honestly massive! 

The thing that gets me with this game is just how creepy it is. It has that thing that Paranormal Activity had, where there’s something a bit evil about it.

I was fucking about with the rewind feature and somehow triggered one of those hidden play backwards bits of footage - in which every time I find it equally very clever and satisfying and also disturbing, and the one started walking towards the camera and then eventually looked straight into it.

It’s that fourth wall breaking, hidden between the cracks thing, and it chills me. 

If ever a game felt ‘haunted’ it’s this one. 

8 hours ago, Stanley said:

I played some more last and unearthed quite a bit of new footage - it’s honestly massive! 

The thing that gets me with this game is just how creepy it is. It has that thing that Paranormal Activity had, where there’s something a bit evil about it.

I was fucking about with the rewind feature and somehow triggered one of those hidden play backwards bits of footage - in which every time I find it equally very clever and satisfying and also disturbing, and the one started walking towards the camera and then eventually looked straight into it.

It’s that fourth wall breaking, hidden between the cracks thing, and it chills me. 

If ever a game felt ‘haunted’ it’s this one. 

Have you watched any David Lynch films? They’re an acquired taste and all of them are great but, if you haven’t seen them I’d recommend Fire Walk With Me, Mulholland Drive, and Inland Empire (probably his least accessible film and not one to jump straight into). They’re like lucid nightmares and capture perfectly what you’re describing there! If they click with you then they really click. There are bits of all 3 of those films that have stuck with me for years, and just thinking about them can give me chills! 

Anyway, back to Immortality!

Can anyone explain why 2 Fallen Angels would use a camcorder to film themselves doing Chartpop dance routines, reciting pretentious monologues or appearing on jaunty chat shows to discuss their lives..........and then insert the footage into reels of film, conveniently signposting it with rumbles so that you know exactly when to rewind to view it, so that 10hrs later after viewing a specific vlog of theirs, they can possess you?

Makes sense! 🤣

Yeah I’m a David Lynch obsessive, and whilst you see Immortality as a rip off or whatever I welcome the influence. 

btw I see the others as literally inhabiting those scenes, rather than being filmed. 

Edit. Just to add to that, there’s a scene in which Marissa says filmmaking is about bouncing light of actors faces and bodies and capturing that emotion, then in turn the light from the projector onto the cinema screen bounces off the audiences faces creating an emotional response. That really resonated with me. I think the angel characters move in and between that light. It’s something that I get from Ari Aster’s films too, probably my favourite current director. 

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Yeah I’m a David Lynch obsessive, and whilst you see Immortality as a rip off or whatever I welcome the influence. 

btw I see the others as literally inhabiting those scenes, rather than being filmed. 

Edit. Just to add to that, there’s a scene in which Marissa says filmmaking is about bouncing light of actors faces and bodies and capturing that emotion, then in turn the light from the projector onto the cinema screen bounces off the audiences faces creating an emotional response. That really resonated with me. I think the angel characters move in and between that light. It’s something that I get from Ari Aster’s films too, probably my favourite current director. 

Cool! What’s your favourite of his?  For me it’s more a case of the David Lynch influence is way too overt and direct and outweighs any originality. The reverse stuff (Twin Peaks/Fire Walk With Me), the film within a film stuff (Inland Empire). The entities that possess people (Twin Peaks/Fire Walk With Me). What happened to Maria Marcel (Laura Palmer - (Twin Peaks/Fire Walk With Me). Alter ego/acting stuff (Mulholland Drive). The rumbling sound to signify unease. (Lynch trademark). The stuff you’re describing above. It’s all Lynch. The list goes on and on. There’s barely anything in it that’s original outside of the clip mechanic and that’s just from Telling Lies and Her Story.

Don’t think them supernaturally inhabiting scenes makes any sense either. The superimposed stuff works like that, but the rest doesn’t. Soul devouring Fallen Angels that are reciting long monologues explaining the story in detail, doing dance routines, getting dressed up as Marilyn Monroe, appearing on chat shows etc! 😂 It just doesn’t make any sense or work at all! 

Yeah there are some cool bits! I liked the end credits where you slowly reveal her face. And the first time you hit a rewind bit is really creepy. 

My favourite is Blue Velvet, maybe Elephant Man, but I’ll go with BV. I have a real soft spot for Wild At Heart too because I watched it at a film club I used to go to at college, and I remember just talking for hours about it afterwards 

I think it does work that they inhabit the footage, manipulating it, hiding in the cracks and frames, dancing in the light, the film taking on a life of its own, and that for me is where Immortality shines; it’s about the medium of film and the life it takes on, the effect that has on the actors and so on. 

It’s a game best played late at night imo, when you’re a bit drowsy and more susceptible. Sometimes I’ll just mess about with a few seconds of film, slowly backwards and forwards. The images get stuck in your mind. It’s kind of banal and mundane at times but also weirdly captivating and surreal. 

I found the scene where. 

Spoiler

Marissa is shown being burned in a chair. 

That is a strange scene I need to play with some more. 

29 minutes ago, Stanley said:

My favourite is Blue Velvet, maybe Elephant Man, but I’ll go with BV. I have a real soft spot for Wild At Heart too because I watched it at a film club I used to go to at college, and I remember just talking for hours about it afterwards 

I think it does work that they inhabit the footage, manipulating it, hiding in the cracks and frames, dancing in the light, the film taking on a life of its own, and that for me is where Immortality shines; it’s about the medium of film and the life it takes on, the effect that has on the actors and so on. 

It’s a game best played late at night imo, when you’re a bit drowsy and more susceptible. Sometimes I’ll just mess about with a few seconds of film, slowly backwards and forwards. The images get stuck in your mind. It’s kind of banal and mundane at times but also weirdly captivating and surreal. 

I found the scene where. 

Reveal hidden contents

Marissa is shown being burned in a chair. 

That is a strange scene I need to play with some more. 

That’s interesting! They’re great films and I love them too but, I definitely lean more towards his style in the films I mentioned. They’re what I associate him with the most. Maybe that could be something to do with how we see things differently with the originality of Immortality? Maybe!

Wild at Heart was when I first noticed his obsession with the Wizard of Oz! Then years later I remember watching Mulholland Drive and later still Inland Empire and realising they were hugely influenced by the Wizard of Oz too. That sort of points more towards what I was getting at. With those influences it’s not at all obvious to spot. You 100% watching something original and it screams David Lynch but then behind it there’s the Wizard of Oz!!! Then went back to Twin Peaks and sure enough.......little influences from the Wizard of Oz. 😂 Loved that film as a kid so it sort of makes sense why I like Lynch’s stuff so much.

Think that’s one we’re just going to have to disagree on! I think it could work but not really done in this way. I think they should have either focused on an amazing straight story or gone down the batshit, arty, full of metaphors route. Once you hit the straight story there’s no real going back, it destroys the mystery and interpreting stuff.

Yeah, I really like that whole mechanic. It seems like it’s linked to speed as well which made things more interesting in places.

Think that ties into the heavy death thing. She wanted to be gone for a long time, so he had to burn her. There are still quite a few things that don’t make sense but the problem is, I feel the basic plot/premise doesn’t make sense, so there’s not much point in trying to make sense, of something that might not make sense. If that makes sense? 😂

Also going without spoiler tags.

The first clip you see iirc you normally click out of but go to the end and rewind.  She appears and talks about how only certain ways of killing her works.  Fire being one.  Doesn’t mention shooting though.  More on that later.

In another scene she describes how she can hibernate and wake up.  She talks at one point about how she found someone once she woke once and “devoured” them.  It’s not said explicitly, but it’s hinted as though it could have been Marissa.  There’s wording that makes it sound like somebody who had been abused too.

Short (as much as I can make it) version from what I can see, she had a nap, awoke, “became” Marissa who was young and naive and had been taken advantage of.  Something about movies and the idea of creating something lasting called to her during her experience as Marissa, but ultimately she was treated like trash by the director of the first movie.  But she used it to try and create the second movie, which she co wrote.  That’s a direct parallel of her experience on the first movie, with the artist character it’s titled after a direct parallel to the director of the first movie.  As the director wanted to “sculpt” her, the artist continually draws over her portrait to refine her to what he wants, among other bits.  The second being as at this point taken the part of her co actor, Carl greenwood.  At some point late in filming, she shoots him, in reality killing the actor but also killing the beings though he gets reborn somehow into someone else, which we see through another clip.  The reason she did this is because he saw her becoming increasingly invested in that world that over theirs, and he made he choose, she shot it to free herself from him.  However, that closed the film down, and she ultimately did feel bad over her actions.

Im taking the time passing as her hibernating which is why she hasn’t aged.  She wakes up and the director from the first film has apologised and if I remember given her footage that had previously been hidden? Can’t remember how it’s phrased, one of the issues is that going back to look at the “hidden”footage is difficult.  She decides to make another film basically to tell her story before she kills herself with fire, which is done by the other being.

Im not 100% on this, but from the conversation she has about how to kill her that I mentioned, it could be that dying by fire was done to end her immortality as dying through other means allows her to revive, though she considers the work on film as a way of also achieving that.  She says in one of the hidden bits that she’s tired of going on (or something similar- again, hard to go back and find) which could mean that she’s tired of immortality.  Also we see the gunshot kill the other one and when he “dies” he ends up as that woman.  But she only mentions drowning as a method that “doesn’t work” so it could be that she’ll revive in some way too.  To me that kind of makes more sense - that she ends her physical form to be immortal in media.  But I fully accept I could have read something wrong or missed something.

@George Clooney

The male and female entities are Fallen Angels or could possibly be based around Baal/Marduk/Nimrod and Semiramis, seeing as that’s who all our governments, celebrities and shit are totally fucking obsessed with. 😂 Oh, what a surprise the games made by Half Mermaid (Semiramis) and their logo looks a lot like an inverted cross/crucifixion. And they just happen to be making a game with these themes. 🤣

The entities claim Jesus never existed. They were the ones that invented “the Greatest Story Ever Told” - the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, in order to elevate humanity to their level. They claim to have played out the roles of Adam and Eve and Jesus etc themselves. The male entity hates humans, the female entity is fascinated by them. Their aim is to enlighten humans and thus turn them away from God. They try to do this by influencing humans and corrupting them through stories.

The female entity and the male entity keep killing one another through time and returning back to life and seeking one another out as they are the last of their kind. The female entity burned the male entity at the stake sometime in the past causing him to have a “heavy death” and be on the other side for longer.

What happened to Marissa?

The female entity possesses Marissa. The male entity returns in Carl in New York. Marissa/FE is fascinated with John. She plots to kill the ME with him as he tells her John and humans will only disappoint her. They shoot Carl/ME on set whilst filming.

John is scared of her after she killed Carl/ME. They discuss this and whether the ME is actually dead. By doing this John disappoints her just like the ME said he would do. Marissa/FE then kills John and possesses him.

This is where I need some help.

The FE appears as John in public 2 years later, saying that Marissa has exited from the limelight and doesn’t want to be a celebrity, after the “on set accident” in which Carl was killed. However, in 1999 John is alive and well again and the FE is now back in Marissa. 

The ME has now returned and possessed Amy. Any/ME is poisoning Marissa with poison laced fruit (Adam and Eve/forbidden fruit/tree of knowledge/enlightenment - the original story told). We see Marissa/FE collapse after using the olive from her drink. The FE asks the ME to burn her as she burned him as it means she will have a “heavy death” and be on the other side for a long time. We see Amy/ME set Marissa/FE on fire. The FE then makes it clear she’s going to possess the player, which was discussed by the ME and FE in an earlier scene. It also implies that millions of players will learn the story and be influenced and “possessed” by her. She is a part of you now.

Think that’s pretty much it, at least going on what I’ve seen, still loads of footage I haven’t watched. Oh and the backwards talking, and things being reversed is a part of Satanic ceremonies and Witchcraft, so that all ties in.

8 hours ago, CrichStand said:

That’s interesting! They’re great films and I love them too but, I definitely lean more towards his style in the films I mentioned. They’re what I associate him with the most. Maybe that could be something to do with how we see things differently with the originality of Immortality? Maybe!

Wild at Heart was when I first noticed his obsession with the Wizard of Oz! Then years later I remember watching Mulholland Drive and later still Inland Empire and realising they were hugely influenced by the Wizard of Oz too. That sort of points more towards what I was getting at. With those influences it’s not at all obvious to spot. You 100% watching something original and it screams David Lynch but then behind it there’s the Wizard of Oz!!! Then went back to Twin Peaks and sure enough.......little influences from the Wizard of Oz. 😂 Loved that film as a kid so it sort of makes sense why I like Lynch’s stuff so much.

Think that’s one we’re just going to have to disagree on! I think it could work but not really done in this way. I think they should have either focused on an amazing straight story or gone down the batshit, arty, full of metaphors route. Once you hit the straight story there’s no real going back, it destroys the mystery and interpreting stuff.

Yeah, I really like that whole mechanic. It seems like it’s linked to speed as well which made things more interesting in places.

Think that ties into the heavy death thing. She wanted to be gone for a long time, so he had to burn her. There are still quite a few things that don’t make sense but the problem is, I feel the basic plot/premise doesn’t make sense, so there’s not much point in trying to make sense, of something that might not make sense. If that makes sense? 😂

The triptych of Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire is hard to beat and I can understand why they’d be your favourites along with Twin Peaks, and also their influence on Immortality is obvious- but I have no problem with it, it’s not often we get that in a videogame, and I think being able to manipulate the footage yourself is what lends it it’s originality. 

One of my favourite films is Sunset Boulevard, and also one of Lynch’s, and I can see the influence of that here too, perhaps with other Billy Wilder films. And there’s a bit of Hitchcock, quite a lot in fact, not to mention all the Giallo stuff. I love all that so straight away I was into Immortality. 

Also yesterday, I had a quick scan through for a few bits and revealed a bit more footage.  There was a scene from Two Of Everything where it’s her in the black wig standing in front of a mirror taking some directions, but when you get the rewind bit - it’s a completely new character.  She’s got dark hair and wearing a bunch of necklaces that look vaguely pagan, but she basically looks sad and doesn’t say anything.  Never seen her anywhere else and no mention of anything that I can think relates to her - anyone else seen this? I’ve only just woken up so I’ll recheck the game in a bit for some more details.

2 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Also yesterday, I had a quick scan through for a few bits and revealed a bit more footage.  There was a scene from Two Of Everything where it’s her in the black wig standing in front of a mirror taking some directions, but when you get the rewind bit - it’s a completely new character.  She’s got dark hair and wearing a bunch of necklaces that look vaguely pagan, but she basically looks sad and doesn’t say anything.  Never seen her anywhere else and no mention of anything that I can think relates to her - anyone else seen this? I’ve only just woken up so I’ll recheck the game in a bit for some more details.

I’ve found some other characters in the black and white footage, not the usual woman and man.

45 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Intriguing. Have you got the 2OE scene number?

2 hours ago, chamberlago said:

I believe that scene is 67A

It is.  I didn’t notice first time (just rechecked) that you can rewind within it too.  First you get a black male appear, then the female being we’ve seen before appears and says she can’t remember all the faces, so I’d assume that means they’re people that she has taken the personality of before.

Apparently some of the rewind scenes have other scenes hidden within them - and one has 5 hidden scenes, each buried Russian-doll style in the other hidden scene.

Big props to @George Clooney and @CrichStand for their detailed analysis of what is going on though. I haven't completed it (only seen about 50 clips) but it the basic mystery hasn't grabbed me enough to want to continue - I was taken out of it pretty much straight away when Marissa appeared in 1999 looking exactly the same as 1968 and nobody mentioned it in any behind the scenes footage (does it ever get mentioned by people?), so this thread has been fun to read where it goes.

Nothing I uncovered made any reference of the actress having not aged in the interim 30 years or so but after I saw the credits roll I’d lost interest in the story and wasn’t going hunting as I fear hunting for deeper meaning is a waste of my time and energy. 

I read that as a commentary on how women are perceived and expected to look in movies; forever young, otherwise they are just forgotten, but also how Marissa had made some kind of Faustian pact. 

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

Apparently some of the rewind scenes have other scenes hidden within them - and one has 5 hidden scenes, each buried Russian-doll style in the other hidden scene.

Big props to @George Clooney and @CrichStand for their detailed analysis of what is going on though. I haven't completed it (only seen about 50 clips) but it the basic mystery hasn't grabbed me enough to want to continue - I was taken out of it pretty much straight away when Marissa appeared in 1999 looking exactly the same as 1968 and nobody mentioned it in any behind the scenes footage (does it ever get mentioned by people?), so this thread has been fun to read where it goes.

No worries mate, appreciate you taking the time to post that! 👍🏻

Yeah, a lot of the rewind scenes have multiple rewinds in them. Some of them go into depth explaining things such as how they are Fallen Angels/Immortal beings. 

I agree with you, that there is a fair bit of stuff that just doesn’t make sense. Not because there’s more to it but because it appears there are plot holes. 

I mean, like you say, why did no one question that she didn’t age and apparently neither did John?  Why were none of the deaths investigated properly? How would people have just accepted that Marissa had retired from acting and not questioned her disappearance? Why would Fallen Angels insert all this bullshit into film footage in the first place? 😂 

Better way of looking at this game. It’s pushing an Occult agenda that’s very much real. Government’s turn people away from the truth and God by distracting, controlling and influencing them through music, art, film, games, social media, fear etc. Look around you! It’s everywhere! This has been going on since Nimrod the One Eyed King of Babylon (the rebellious one), who created the original Tyrannical Government and defied God. This game itself is inverting the truth, promoting the occult through its story, planting this stuff in people’s heads and ultimately influencing people........and it’s all wrapped up in a shallow distraction. The game is even telling you that’s exactly what they do, whilst doing it! 😂

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Are you saying Sam Barlow is a Satanist, then? 

Is Sam Barlowe a Satanist? No idea. Does he know a lot about the Occult and its something he’s heavily into? It certainly appears so. 

Dunno really. What I do know, is that I wouldn’t call my company Half Mermaid (Semiramis), have a logo that looks anything like an inverted cross/crucifixion and then make a game hugely and accurately modelled around the Occult that denies Jesus Christ ever existed, shows his mother being called a prostitute and then stabbed repeatedly in graphic detail, completely inverts the teachings of the Bible and is rammed with blasphemous content.  People might start to get the wrong idea from somewhere! 🤣

8 hours ago, George Clooney said:

It is.  I didn’t notice first time (just rechecked) that you can rewind within it too.  First you get a black male appear, then the female being we’ve seen before appears and says she can’t remember all the faces, so I’d assume that means they’re people that she has taken the personality of before.

I've seen the credits, but I'm not able to do this on mine. Rewinding toward the end of that scene I get a glimpse of what looks like Amy Archer, but that's all I get.