1B4F0523-2608-4CE0-845F-F4EC429CA569.jpeg

3AC4F4A3-764F-4139-9463-8CDFF05EC4EF.jpeg

See, you do this...

1 hour ago, strider said:

the making of mega lo mania

BEST GAME EVAR. But then you be trollin':

1 hour ago, strider said:

Making of BioShock

Time to just call the magazine "Gamer" amirite?

;)

1 hour ago, deKay said:

See, you do this...

BEST GAME EVAR. But then you be trollin':

Time to just call the magazine "Gamer" amirite?

;)

We had a big discussion about whether BioShock is or isn’t retro and then we realised how much it would wind you up so we commissioned it. If you look hard enough you’ll find a reference to 3D Death Chase as well 😂

For some reason I can accept Bioshock being in without blinking, but the mention of Mario Kart DS was today's daily occurrence of realising how old I am.

I didn't realise it was ever controversial to like DKC. I feel so edgy, and more importantly, right.

DKC is one of those games I want to like but just can't get on with. I always thought the graphical style was pretty ugly and I find it ungainly to control. A play on a demo machine in (I think) Woolworths was enough to convince me not to buy it at the time, despite the hype. 

I gave it another go when I got the SNES mini but after 10 minutes of frustration I turned it off and never went back. 

I'll have to try it again. I want to like it, because I have a lot of good will towards Rare and I think it does have plenty of character,despite being pretty fugly. 

10 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Not only do I think they are still good games I think k they’ve aged particularly gracefully from an aesthetic perspective. I was surprised by that when I replayed the first 2 a few years back.

As much as I love the graphical style of DKC in motion it looks awful from a screenshot point of view. That’s why we used Returns artwork for the covers. I love the pace and flow of the first game.

55 minutes ago, JamesC said:

DKC is one of those games I want to like but just can't get on with. I always thought the graphical style was pretty ugly and I find it ungainly to control. A play on a demo machine in (I think) Woolworths was enough to convince me not to buy it at the time, despite the hype. 

I gave it another go when I got the SNES mini but after 10 minutes of frustration I turned it off and never went back. 

I'll have to try it again. I want to like it, because I have a lot of good will towards Rare and I think it does have plenty of character,despite being pretty fugly. 

DKC and its sequels felt imprecise to control when you were playing on original hardware through a CRT and using a wired controller; I imagine that they feel even worse to play on a laggy Super NES Mini through a modern flat panel TV. :( 

6 hours ago, JamesC said:

What, from the get go you were experiencing frustration?

It gets really tough later on, with large gaps between save points. The second game is pure fucking nails.

I don't really have anything negative to say about the controls. They're very responsive and have a good momentum to them with a small number of tricks you can master. Make sure you're one of those people that plays with your thumb constantly holding 'Y'. These are games best suited for those types of players. The challenge I find is with really cheeky enemy placement/movement and platform positioning. From a design perspective these are easily Rare's most Nintendo-like games, alongside Banjo, I think. The music is some of the very best on the SNES. The graphics are a product of their time I suppose, yet they're still charming enough if you have fond memories of them. DKC2 looks a lot better on some stages.

21 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

DKC and its sequels felt imprecise to control when you were playing on original hardware through a CRT and using a wired controller; I imagine that they feel even worse to play on a laggy Super NES Mini through a modern flat panel TV. :( 

The snes mini is super laggy? Really? I genuinely hadn’t noticed and I’ve played it a shit ton. Maybe I’m just super laggy these days 

1 hour ago, beakbeak said:

The snes mini is super laggy? Really? I genuinely hadn’t noticed and I’ve played it a shit ton. Maybe I’m just super laggy these days 

It's not that bad. The output is delayed by 3-5 frames depending on how good your TV is at game mode. It's quite easily the best, cheapest, and most convenient option before you start having to look at FPGA solutions which go into the multiple hundreds. Even at that stage you're still looking at up to two frames of delay from your TV no matter how good it is.

1 hour ago, dataDave said:

It's not that bad. The output is delayed by 3-5 frames depending on how good your TV is at game mode. It's quite easily the best, cheapest, and most convenient option before you start having to look at FPGA solutions which go into the multiple hundreds. Even at that stage you're still looking at up to two frames of delay from your TV no matter how good it is.

I just tested the snes mini Mario world and then my super famicom with the original cart and there’s nothing in it as far as I can tell. Could be me. I’m no spring chicken! 

46 minutes ago, beakbeak said:

I just tested the snes mini Mario world and then my super famicom with the original cart and there’s nothing in it as far as I can tell. Could be me. I’m no spring chicken! 

On the same TV? There's probably a one or two frame difference in that case. Three frames and above is when I can start to feel any delay.

If you tried the SNES on a CRT you might find it to feel ever so slightly more responsive.

I've said this many a time, but Super Mario World is my #1 game for benchmarking latency. That and arcade/CPS-1 Final Fight. When both of those feel right I know that absolutely everything else is good to go.

8 hours ago, dataDave said:

On the same TV? There's probably a one or two frame difference in that case. Three frames and above is when I can start to feel any delay.

If you tried the SNES on a CRT you might find it to feel ever so slightly more responsive.

I've said this many a time, but Super Mario World is my #1 game for benchmarking latency. That and arcade/CPS-1 Final Fight. When both of those feel right I know that absolutely everything else is good to go.

It’s probably my shitty old LCD tv. I shouldn’t be allowed to own a super famicom with an SD2SNES really. Not without a CRT. 

2 hours ago, beakbeak said:

It’s probably my shitty old LCD tv. I shouldn’t be allowed to own a super famicom with an SD2SNES really. Not without a CRT. 

I’m not so sure the decent upscalers are worth it if you only have the one console (and an LCD you’re not happy with).

Definitely try to find an old RGB SCART capable set if you have the space. 👍