Jump to content

IMMORTALITY


bradigor
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Outlast 2 is a straight up masterpiece. It’s not really like the first one either, it’s a lot more fucked up. 

 

Still found it dull and lacking any of the fear it tried to create. 

 

It's a me problem 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

 

Still found it dull and lacking any of the fear it tried to create. 

 

It's a me problem 

Btw let us know when your Sam Barlow interview is ready can’t wait to see it, there’s another one with him I watched recently I’ll post it up later when I get time, really interesting guy :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I'm starting to lose interest in this a little, but I still think some of the arguments against it in here are incredibly reductive. There's definitely more to the experience than randomly watching scenes from three movies out of sequence, and it does make effective use of its mechanics to tell a story. 

 

I'm at the point now though where I think I've seen enough to get it, and while the credits haven't rolled I don't feel I need to see anything more. I think there's one major plot point I think I'm missing, so I'll probably play a bit here and there until it pops up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've went back and found more footage and the story is pretty much complete for me (although still have lots of footage to find according the the achievements).

 

For me it's the perfect gamepass experience as it was interesting to try out and has lead to some very interesting discussion on the forum, but it's a game that I have no interest in going back into once I'm done with it.

 

I'm genuinely puzzled by the huge review scores it seems to be gathering, as I see it more of an interesting curiosity then a landmark moment in media (like it's getting hailed as by certain journalists). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

I think I'm starting to lose interest in this a little, but I still think some of the arguments against it in here are incredibly reductive. There's definitely more to the experience than randomly watching scenes from three movies out of sequence, and it does make effective use of its mechanics to tell a story. 

 

I'm at the point now though where I think I've seen enough to get it, and while the credits haven't rolled I don't feel I need to see anything more. I think there's one major plot point I think I'm missing, so I'll probably play a bit here and there until it pops up.

Whilst I imagine you can get to the credits via random clicking, you can logic it out. I worked it out away from the game, and then was delighted when it worked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crikey, I’m surprised to see so many people down on this “game” in here. In that regard,  I think Popo nails it, if you are expecting a traditional game or even puzzle game then you will be disappointed. I was thinking the same thing after about an hour, but after that point I was won over by the films being depicted and the behind the scenes footage. 

 

Personally, I really enjoyed the Ambrosio and Minsky films, I thought they were superbly acted and the mysteries unfolded in a pleasing way in my play through (particularly Ambrosio). The films also, to my eye, perfectly captured the style of the films they are paying homage to, without ever (imo) falling into cheap parody. 
 

I also really enjoyed those moments where a director or actor would try another take with a slightly different look on their face and then seeing how that could change the scene or meaning, it opens up such an interesting perspective that I would never consider when watching a normal film. 
 

Because on an base level I simply liked watching the footage, I didn’t really mind watching more of it, even when the purpose or structure wasn’t clear to me. I was happy to just let the films wash over me. 
 

I am not sure I got much further in exploring the themes than the detractors in here, but I definitely was compelled enough to start making some general notes, which I don’t think I have ever done while playing a game  

There’s other stuff I liked but I think I am still processing it all. 

 

It’s a ten for me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

About 45 mins in and its off to a slow start, although that's partly my own fault for watching the full clips, and of course the things I decide to click on. It's a neat idea to use visuals rather than words to hop around. No intrigue yet and what's weird is the game doesn't start with any direction or hook which I think is a bad idea especially for newcomers to this genre. Fortunately I like Barlows games, I think Her Story is superb and Telling Lies was decent. So I'll stick with it given the praise and prepare to get wowed later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

About 45 mins in and its off to a slow start, although that's partly my own fault for watching the full clips, and of course the things I decide to click on. It's a neat idea to use visuals rather than words to hop around. No intrigue yet and what's weird is the game doesn't start with any direction or hook which I think is a bad idea especially for newcomers to this genre. Fortunately I like Barlows games, I think Her Story is superb and Telling Lies was decent. So I'll stick with it given the praise and prepare to get wowed later.

Read the “about” page on the title screen. Seems a bit mad it wasn’t the first thing you see when you load the game up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Read the “about” page on the title screen. Seems a bit mad it wasn’t the first thing you see when you load the game up. 

Oh, will do. Not an issue though regardless. I've been playing since my last post and got into it now. It's fun to untangle the plots of the films, the characters connections and the more you do, the more little questions get raised. This is very similar to how Telling Lies structure played out, although the problem with that was the clips were far too long and there was a lot of tedium if you watched them fully. These short clips suit the format much better. I was wrong in my statement that there's no bigger threads to pull on initially (ignoring the About section, which I'll check out). In one of the first few clips (an interview one), an accident is mentioned which is a big question to eventually answer.

 

I think I'm going to start taking notes because all the names get overwhelming. That was one of the good things about the last games, if you needed a recap you could just type in a relevant keyword and refresh yourself on the topic or name.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was thinking about the changes needed for this to interest me, and it's probably as simple as an outside world to complement its crate-digging.

 

So even if you spent most of your time in an archive room, you'd be able to switch back to its virtual realworld to test out theories. With an online computer it could all happen in one room. I'm just not interested in sifting tons of footage that lacks verifiable investigative rewards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you spoiler it for those with no interest in playing?

 

(Thought better of my last sentence and removed it, since it really doesn't matter if something has a defined end or not. Again, it's the loop of gaining insights I can't 'use' that puts me off, as per my conditioning of gaming's appeal versus noninteractive media.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Escape said:

Can you spoiler it for those with no interest in playing?

 

(Thought better of my last sentence and removed it, since it really doesn't matter if something has a defined end or not. Again, it's the loop of gaining insights I can't 'use' that puts me off, as per my conditioning of gaming's appeal versus noninteractive media.)

There’s a whole spoiler thread with theories and interpretations. There’s also bags of room for interpretation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Maybe with the meaning behind what happened, but the actual 'what happened' is all there.

Would you post your thoughts in the spoiler thread? I’d be interested to see what you think, there’s already some good stuff in there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shouldn't really put the boot in, I've seen the hullabaloo around this from a distance, watched the trailer and some gameplay footage and come to the conclusion it's a modern day Nightrap without the salubrious undertones.

 

I'm showing my age, it's not for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've played about an hour of this, and so far I'm finding it intriguing, although having read people complain about the "match cut" mechanic being flaky/weird/inconsistent/unpredictable, I did an experiment and selected the same object in the same scene at the same time-stamp three times just to see what happened.

 

I got sent to three different other scenes, which does seem like a bad choice to me, game design-wise, as it does kind of make things random. Reduces my confidence that there's any way to pick up a thread and try to follow it.

 

Also, I've experienced the 'thing' that I think everyone's working hard not to spoil, but I've also noticed a couple of other bits of oddness where I'm not sure if it's a bug, or something significant:

 

Sometimes when I watch a clip, there's non-diegetic music playing over it, and sometimes (on the same clip) the music isn't there.

Sometimes when I skip to the beginning or end of a clip, my controller vibrates constantly, throughout the whole clip, if I then watch it. Other times it doesn't (again, this happens on the same clip).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Scribblor said:

Sometimes when I skip to the beginning or end of a clip, my controller vibrates constantly, throughout the whole clip, if I then watch it. Other times it doesn't (again, this happens on the same clip).

 

This one is a bug that seems to affect new clips - if you get rumbling at the start, just back out and go back in and if the rumble is not supposed to be there it will disappear. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We put this on the other night to have a look at, and as others have said, it's just like a bit of a video editing session that feels a tiny bit twin peaks-y. I've not felt much inclination to take a second look, but my keenness at the IDEA of trying something different makes me want to go back. But in practice, eh, maybe later. 

 

Has anyone who felt like similarly gone back and felt glad they did, or is it a case of if not captivated early on, you're unlikely to get much from it later? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can someone point me in the right direction with clip 26b in 2OE?

Spoiler

Towards the end of the clip when the actors are on the floor, I get the rumbling and music to suggest that I should be able to reverse it to see the weird stuff but I can’t seem to get it to trigger. It’s worked on every other clip like this so I’m not sure what I’m missing. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Transient Curse said:

We put this on the other night to have a look at, and as others have said, it's just like a bit of a video editing session that feels a tiny bit twin peaks-y. I've not felt much inclination to take a second look, but my keenness at the IDEA of trying something different makes me want to go back. But in practice, eh, maybe later. 

 

Has anyone who felt like similarly gone back and felt glad they did, or is it a case of if not captivated early on, you're unlikely to get much from it later? 

Stick with it. Early on I was rather non-plussed, and found the footage I was watching wholly uninteresting. Then it 'clicks' and it becomes wholly captivating. At least, it did for me. This game is definitely not for everyone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Pungee said:

Can someone point me in the right direction with clip 26b in 2OE?

  Hide contents

Towards the end of the clip when the actors are on the floor, I get the rumbling and music to suggest that I should be able to reverse it to see the weird stuff but I can’t seem to get it to trigger. It’s worked on every other clip like this so I’m not sure what I’m missing. 

 

Spoiler

You're not watching long enough in reverse, let it play out as you see Merissa get back up. It's only a small thing in that clip mind you.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Scribblor said:

Reduces my confidence that there's any way to pick up a thread and try to follow it

This is the main problem I have with it. With Her Story, you could go down a bit of a rabbit hole with related search terms. Ultimately, although I liked the mechanic, I didn’t like the content. Perhaps I just feel a necessity for there to be a direction of travel (more than just a more complete picture of the stories). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've not been following the thread as people have been in here posting open spoilers, but I have a purely technical question:

 

I am playing the Game Pass version on PC - is there a way to turn on V-sync? I didn't see an option in the menu, and the screen tearing is making the video look absolutely atrocious. Which considering that's the whole content it would be good to be able to sort it out before I continue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Benny said:

I've not been following the thread as people have been in here posting open spoilers, but I have a purely technical question:

 

I am playing the Game Pass version on PC - is there a way to turn on V-sync? I didn't see an option in the menu, and the screen tearing is making the video look absolutely atrocious. Which considering that's the whole content it would be good to be able to sort it out before I continue.

If you have an Nvidia card you can force it from the Nvidia settings per application 3D settings. This worked for me, and I assume there's an AMD equivalent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.