Sport - get involved!

SeanR

Picked up my golf clubs again this summer. Been on the range, and had a couple of rounds. The most recent one a few twilight holes, but the course was understandably parched everywhere except the greens.

Been enjoyable though. 28 handicap, would like to surpass the 18 I reached in my 20s within a couple of years. May join a club next year to stay regular.

7 hours ago, SeanR said:

I’ve done something silly:

I’ve taken up field hockey.

image.thumb.jpg.22feff15158594c6a95b16b70d0aea99.jpg

what sports to we, as a forum, participate in, and how’s it going?

Hockey was a bit of thing in our family, my mum played for Leicestershire mixed team and my aunty got a medal from the Queen for service to hockey. My other aunty's and cousin both played aswell.

As for participation ive been doing BJJ  for almost 6 years

I'd love to play cricket but, as a mid-40s unfit man who has never picked up a bat outside of playing in the park 30 years ago, opportunities aren't really around. I'd like to even just muck around in the nets, to be honest.

I did also look at the man vs fat football thing (which I think is subsidised?) but there's nothing near me.

So, er, nothing.

On 21/08/2022 at 19:42, Gabe said:

I'd love to play cricket but, as a mid-40s unfit man who has never picked up a bat outside of playing in the park 30 years ago, opportunities aren't really around. I'd like to even just muck around in the nets, to be honest.

On sundays I used to watch people play cricket in Duthie Park, Aberdeen and they basically fit your discription of yourself.

As for nets I wish there were places, a driving range almost, like the batting cages available in America for cricket or baseball that'd be great fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Went and watched a friend's daughter play in a kids tournament today.

They were the only all girl's team there and within their age range there was only one other girl (7-9yo).

They didn't win a match but credit to them they kept playing. The last two matches I'd picked out a girl on their team who was the smallest and usually brought on when one of the other girls needed a rest and then was left in defence.

I stood behind the goal and was shouting to her who to watch and shouting encouragement whenever she did anything positive. In the last match she was making some good challenges and clearances, so I gave her a fist bump after the match and told her she did well. 

I'm not one of the coaches but I can see why people do it

Week three: batteries that last, 4k videos that get corrupted if they’re too large.

got the expansion strap for my groin protector, so that’s handy as I made a save with my crotch. 

I need to be more agile. I’m mobile, but once I’m out…

final session this Friday, which includes discussions about where we go from here.

the boy had his first U16 session today. Stick-free. More of a chat about aims, and goals, and housekeeping, and about being wary of visiting teams bringing umpires. Not giving them excuses to pull the cards out every opportunity, and how being hairy little fur balls, brimming with testosterone, could play directly into their hands…

Oh, and I fucked my right arm. But in a good way. I can now rotate it 

quarter past 9 (palm down)

Half past 12

Quarter to 3 (palm up)

whereas before it was stopping around ten past 7. Which was making donating blood painful.

On 04/09/2022 at 22:29, wev said:

Went and watched a friend's daughter play in a kids tournament today.

They were the only all girl's team there and within their age range there was only one other girl (7-9yo).

They didn't win a match but credit to them they kept playing. The last two matches I'd picked out a girl on their team who was the smallest and usually brought on when one of the other girls needed a rest and then was left in defence.

I stood behind the goal and was shouting to her who to watch and shouting encouragement whenever she did anything positive. In the last match she was making some good challenges and clearances, so I gave her a fist bump after the match and told her she did well. 

I'm not one of the coaches but I can see why people do it

That's great to hear :)

4th week. Relied on the boy to film my final session, so obviously I’ve got nothing to show for it…

3x15 minute thirds.
1st 1-1
2nd 1-1
3rd 0-0

So ending 2-2, it went to flicks:

Non-bibs.xoo 
Bibs……….xox

Non-bibs win 2-1 on flicks.

I was playing for the non-bibs.

I won my first penalty shootout at hockey.

I’m going again tonight!

image.thumb.png.a4f992142b47cc409dbc48a477b8d645.png

Had my first proper club training session tonight. Lots of nervous energy that I tried to channel into a good set. But I’m still ball following and losing my awareness of the goal mouth. 

Managed to do my pads by myself though. Happy with that.

No photos or video, because this is serious business.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Made myself available for my first match this coming Saturday.

couple of things. They asked me. It’s “away”, but local-ish, I think that’s why I have a spot. Should be confirmed this time tomorrow.

also Open trials for England O35s. There’s a paper-sift first:

1A0FAAA7-1337-4F11-8021-F6E1F14F5DB2.jpeg.acf5b63d809c0a00ae2b9c44a3a76fa9.jpeg

they won’t let just anyone try out, but I reckon an x-factor style sob story could get my kicker in the door…

Game was cancelled. Understandable, as it’s half-term for many.

in other news I liked the club-loaned helmet so much I bought my own one, second-hand (right).

7A14DFEF-3E93-4BE0-9FDA-76393781BEF7.thumb.jpeg.31cbe2d14908498e5a3b232f8b9a7540.jpeg

Little more understated than the amazing spider-man lookalike. Better condition too, for one thing the cage is still symmetrical.

On 30/09/2022 at 23:12, SeanR said:

I’m not just a member of a club now, I’ve been placed in a squad.

a squad! I’m available for matches and everything!

:blah:

It's a great feeling to be part of something like this, comeraderie. My family was a bit of a hockey family, with my mum playing for Leicestershire mixed team amongst others and my auntie getting a medal from the Queen for services to hockey aswell as carrying the Olympic torch.

Many years ago I played tennis to county standard. My little boy has just started tennis lessons and I try and help him by doing some training with him at the weekend. It's nice to be back on the court. While he was taking a break for a drink I practiced some serves and it appears that I've still got it.

I bought a new helmet (left), because it was cheap. Stupidly cheap. Cheaper than the 2nd-hand one. 

despite being near identical in design, and also labelled “LARGE”, it’s a completely different shape. 

D8BC57E2-A14B-4DCA-9CA3-A9C3AB3664D9.thumb.jpeg.74171ae70e3e9115db61e31188ff9c88.jpeg

And is thus a more difficult fit, with the glasses. Not impossible. But stupidly snug.

still, it fits the boy, he likes it, and that saves me the £300-£400 pounds for his desired replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m sitting in the car while the boy takes his first steps on the club’s Young Leaders course: Coaching, Umpiring, and First Aid. 

Not just to help out the club, but I think it’ll add useful skills that he’ll be able to take advantage of outside hockey too.

My lad had a great weekend of football. Scored five goals for his school in a 10-1 win over a rival school, and then scored all three in a 3-0 win in a ‘fun’ match they played straight afterwards where he and a team mate were swapped over to the other school’s team. Then today he scored another three in an 8-2 win for his Saturday team.

But in the school match he got fouled quite badly by one of the opposition, who slid in on him with one foot raised over the top of the ball and studs up, and caught him right on the knee. When I collected him he had a massive plaster over his kneecap, and he said it was the fourth one they’d put on because blood had soaked through the first three. You could see blood coming through the fourth one too, but I didn’t see his knee until he had a shower after today’s match, and I was genuinely shocked. Firstly at the damage the other kid did, and also thinking about how lucky my lad was that his leg hadn’t been planted when the other kid tagged him. He also had a large graze on his elbow from a second high tackle from the same kid.

Spoilered for mild gore. Bear in mind, this is an Under-8s match, not teenagers or anything like that.

Spoiler

799558AE-FE3E-4253-AF3A-5CDB603C77A9.jpeg

14 hours ago, Jammy said:

My lad had a great weekend of football. Scored five goals for his school in a 10-1 win over a rival school, and then scored all three in a 3-0 win in a ‘fun’ match they played straight afterwards where he and a team mate were swapped over to the other school’s team. Then today he scored another three in an 8-2 win for his Saturday team.

But in the school match he got fouled quite badly by one of the opposition, who slid in on him with one foot raised over the top of the ball and studs up, and caught him right on the knee. When I collected him he had a massive plaster over his kneecap, and he said it was the fourth one they’d put on because blood had soaked through the first three. You could see blood coming through the fourth one too, but I didn’t see his knee until he had a shower after today’s match, and I was genuinely shocked. Firstly at the damage the other kid did, and also thinking about how lucky my lad was that his leg hadn’t been planted when the other kid tagged him. He also had a large graze on his elbow from a second high tackle from the same kid.

Spoilered for mild gore. Bear in mind, this is an Under-8s match, not teenagers or anything like that.

Reveal hidden contents

799558AE-FE3E-4253-AF3A-5CDB603C77A9.jpeg

I don’t have kids, so apologies if this is a daft question, but do they even have red cards at that age group?

Hope your lad is okay, amazing scoring efforts before the injury :)

1 hour ago, glb said:

I don’t have kids, so apologies if this is a daft question, but do they even have red cards at that age group?

Hope your lad is okay, amazing scoring efforts before the injury :)

Not a daft question at all - no, they don’t have red or yellow cards at this level. Usually the ref will have a quiet word with the coach and the player will get taken off. That tackle was during his five goal game on Friday, and he scored both hat-tricks after that so don’t think it’s done him any real harm luckily :)

1 minute ago, Jammy said:

Not a daft question at all - no, they don’t have red or yellow cards at this level. Usually the ref will have a quiet word with the coach and the player will get taken off. That tackle was during his five goal game on Friday, and he scored both hat-tricks after that so don’t think it’s done him any real harm luckily :)

Ah, misread when the injury occurred. Good stuff, that he dusted himself off and kept scoring is quality.

And makes sense on the cards/punishment, thank you for clarifying.