Internet Radio

Vimster

Since working from home I've become a huge fan of internet radio, especially since discovering the Radio Garden website and app (a very reasonable £2.08 when I got it). After initially scouring the planet for interesting radio I settled down to a list of favourites that I'll have on at some point during the day. 

Was curious to find more stations though as I feel there must be so much out there, from full-on commercial to interesting sounds, easily-accessible music to way-out weirdness. 

Here are a few that I regularly tune in to:

Noods Radio - this is probably my favourite, hands down. Based in Bristol, they're guaranteed to have something interesting playing when I tune in. It's basically a load of individuals doing an hour of whatever, whether that be jungle, electronic, soul, random 70s jazz, anything really, although there is a bias towards electronic. 

Sub FM - been going for about 20 years, mainly bass-heavy music including dubstep, drum and bass, bassline/garage. They archive all their shows and it goes back to 2004! 

Melodic Distractions - similar format to Noods, this time based in Liverpool. 

DKFM - shoegaze and dreampop 24 hours a day. 

Chillsky Radio - continuous lo-fi hip-hop, you know, the "chill beats to study to" sort.

NTS 1/2 - more formal, with actual live shows, not 100% my bag (bit too much house at times), but usually something interesting going on. 

Always after more interesting internet radio, not necessarily music either, any good chat would be interesting too. I'm not totally against commercial radio either, and whilst I don't do it often sometimes it's fun to put on some foreign commercial station and try to figure out what the ads are for. 

Yeah, I’d say that NTS is essential listening for anyone with more than a passing interest in music to be honest. There’s such a great selection of shows to listen to. If you don’t fancy the live shows there’s an enormous archive of past shows too, which can be filtered by genre.

2 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

Yeah, I’d say that NTS is essential listening for anyone with more than a passing interest in music to be honest. There’s such a great selection of shows to listen to. If you don’t fancy the live shows there’s an enormous archive of past shows too, which can be filtered by genre.

I’ve been introduced to so much new music on NTS it’s ridiculous. Even new genres of music I was unaware of, it’s just brilliant.

18 hours ago, cubik said:

Soma.fm is my first choice for internet radio. A variety of quality stations, with their electronic options being some of the best. 

Checking some of these out now. n5MD Radio and cliqhop idm are the two I'm enjoying the most so far. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Barnard said:

It's a pain in the arse to play on Alexa though. I have to use Bluetooth.   (Alexa is not flexible or clever at all!)

That's surprising, I thought the Alexa speakers were much more flexible with this sort of thing.

I have Google speakers, and I had managed to create an app for listening to WFMU (from New Jersey), as well as their online archives, but Google have recently announced that they're shutting down "conversational actions" next year, effectively killing any hobbyist apps on the devices.

I was tempted to bin the lot of them (cos Google are pissing me off in more ways than this) and getting Alexas instead, but ...

• 4 weeks later...

It’s such a shame WorldwideFM is pausing in October as that has been amazing. To be honest I’ve no idea how they kept it going this long with no really subscriber model or advertising. I would have happily paid a monthly amount for it. Fortunately the archive is being kept which is enough for a lifetime.

Worldwidefm.net

• 4 weeks later...

Went to listen to some internet radio via Radio Garden app only to be told all stations outside the UK are blocked. Having a read around I found a Reddit post that suspects this is related to a rights issue and that it affects all radio apps. This is sad news and I really hope they can sort it out. Like this country is shit enough as it is already. 

On 21/10/2022 at 14:56, Vimster said:

Went to listen to some internet radio via Radio Garden app only to be told all stations outside the UK are blocked. Having a read around I found a Reddit post that suspects this is related to a rights issue and that it affects all radio apps. This is sad news and I really hope they can sort it out. Like this country is shit enough as it is already. 

It's probably all related to this court ruling from 2019, which did for TuneIn ... so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Hey, on the subject of internet radio we went to a festival in the summer called Watching Trees, the ZOK Consort had heard it being advertised on the Optimo show on NTS and we took a flyer on it. And it was brilliant! There were around 500 people there including crew, we met so many lovely people and I think must have been amongst the only people who there who didn’t know Optimo in some way (it was a 25 year celebration for them).

So hats off to NTS again!

19 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

@ZOK If you haven't already I'd check out John Gomez's breakfast show. I think it's the highlight of their programming at the moment. He also does a monthly one which is amazing.

Yes I’ve listened to him - I think all the breakfast shows are good, I love Flo, Zakia, Macca etc. There’s a guy on Fridays who does a lunch show that is great as well, I can’t remember his name though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...