Once popular games which no one seems to give a shit about

JamesC

11 minutes ago, electricmastro said:

Or Penguin chocolate biscuits like in Robocod.

tJWrCAK.jpg

🤪 I love those Penquin levels in Robocod. They don't just stick in a couple of Penquin discretely around a confectionery themed level, as you might expect, they just spam fucking Penquins absolutely everywhere! 😆

16 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Also: Lemmings. Huge at the time. Loads of computer and console conversions. You’d think it’d be as ubiquitous as modern remakes of Tetris, but I’m not even sure if there has been any Lemmings games after Lemmings 3D on the PC and PlayStation. Perhaps the gameplay concept is often too ‘fiddly’ for more casual gamers? Or the IP owners can’t be bothered to produce anything new, leading to people forgetting about the series?

I think it's been victim to a couple of effects. First, there was a period where everything has to successfully get a 3D version or it was in deep trouble. Lemmings didn't really make the jump so it remained a 2D game in an era that that was a Bad Thing, messing no sequel for years. 

Secondly it's owned by Sony, the corporation well known to its devotion to its old properties. They don't give sequels to their old internally developed stuff, so an old British property has no chance. 

There's also the question of what you do for a sequel to Lemmings, beyond new abilities. It's close to being a complete game.

Yeah Lemmings is pretty much perfect, adding many new skills would be detrimental in my opinion. 

Does anyone care about Duke Nukem anymore? I know we got Forever which was pretty poor, I feel that’s killed Duke off for a long while. Unless there’s something going on I’m not aware of.

9 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Yeah, with Lemmings even being on 3DO and CD-i, as if being a standard game to have when wanting to go into the gaming industry. People tried things like Adventures of Lomax and Lemmings Touch, but it seems it was really after Lemmings 3D that Lemmings entered this uncertainty of what exactly to do with it. I think that if a really passionate and imaginative team got to make a Lemmings game today with enough backing, something special could be created, but alas Lemmings mostly remains dormant.

I would suspect that the failed transition to 3D is part of the problem with Lemmings. It reviewed so poorly, though I did a load of the QA on it and quite liked it at the time, that it was effectively dead at that point.

I would say, as well, that the original 2D incarnations probably went as far as they could. Theres a bit of a limit to what can be done with the original "jobs" when it comes to puzzles and Tribes all felt a little forced where there was a puzzle where a job was the solution, sort of thing. 

There's a small but active community around NeoLemmix, a modern(ish) PC Lemmings engine that plays all the old level packs. It adds a few features that make it much less of a frustrating old-school experience, without spoiling the core appeal.

49 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Castlevania 64

See, I played the original Castlevania 64 to completion a year back and it's nowhere near as bad as I remember it being (I wrote a quote scathing piece about it in the mag about 16 years ago. I may have to rectify that.

17 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Japanese and American consoles have been preserved by that retro attention so much more than British/European stuff. It’s a huge shame. 

But part of that, is that Amiga etc platformers are pretty trash with hindsight. Up for jump killed them. 

For me it’s K240, Sim City on asteroids with fleet combat and crucially missle strikes. A fantastic game that would work brilliantly with todays tech. But just forgotten. 

As a ZX Spectrum and Atari ST owner in the 80's who had to absolutely suffer through the endless trash on those plaforms (apart from the Lucasarts gold) and look on with envy at the console owners playing their arcade-style classics, I almost hate that stuff now rather than feel nostagic towards it. 

Obviously other feel different, but eurgh. I don't even want that stuff in my sight. 

The MiSTer is a great platform for the preservation of this stuff though. 

I have always wanted to play the Indiana Jones and the Temple of doom game again...didn't have enough money to give it a decent go down in blackpool when I was a teen, does anyone know if this ever got ported anywhere?

I think it had an awful conversion on the spectrum many moons ago.

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

I would say, as well, that the original 2D incarnations probably went as far as they could. Theres a bit of a limit to what can be done with the original "jobs" when it comes to puzzles and Tribes all felt a little forced where there was a puzzle where a job was the solution, sort of thing. 

Agree. The first sequels to Lemmings (Oh No! More Lemmings and the Xmas version) were just the same game with significantly higher difficulty, and  Lemmings 2… It felt like as if a Tetris sequel had been Hatris, Welltris, Tetris Flash and Bombliss thrown into a blender. Lemmings 2 needed the approach that Advance Wars 2 later did, and just some new skills added as balance tweaks, rather than reinventing the wheel. IMO.

1 hour ago, strider said:

See, I played the original Castlevania 64 to completion a year back and it's nowhere near as bad as I remember it being (I wrote a quote scathing piece about it in the mag about 16 years ago. I may have to rectify that.

I bought Castlevania 64 during the short period I owned the machine and really enjoyed it. I had no idea it had a bad reputation and it seemed to play well enough and was good fun as far as I was concerned. I played it lots and it was good value for money. 

If I compare it to Blast Corps, which I bought because of a glowing review, Castlevania would come out on top. 

Blast Corps was a decent game but I'd play it for 10-20 minutes, get bored and put something else on. It was an arcade game and I never felt like I got my £40 worth. 

4 hours ago, papalazarou said:

the dizzy games - back in my way younger years of gaming a new dizzy game was always a big thing

dizzy.jpg

To be fair… They aren’t objectively good games. Something you’d try enjoy to get value from your £2.99 pocket money purchase, but in 2022, if you can emulate so many superb classic games, why suffer the frustration of Dizzy?

58 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

To be fair… They aren’t objectively good games. Something you’d try enjoy to get value from your £2.99 pocket money purchase, but in 2022, if you can emulate so many superb classic games, why suffer the frustration of Dizzy?

Oh I agree I’ve been building an emulation library lately and dizzy / treasure island dizzy was the first games I tried and they were frustrating as hell to play … but back in the day they were essential must own spectrum games 

3 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Taiko Drum Master games used to be crazy popular on here, and now no-one seems to give two shits about them.

Considering they’re easy to get hold of on Switch, Xbox and PlayStation I feel as if these have broken into the mainstream now.

3 hours ago, papalazarou said:

Oh I agree I’ve been building an emulation library lately and dizzy / treasure island dizzy was the first games I tried and they were frustrating as hell to play … but back in the day they were essential must own spectrum games 

I know, I had the first three on my Speccy as a child. :) I did enjoy Fantasy World Dizzy enormously at that age, playing it for many hours. IIRC it was the last Spectrum game I ever had bought for me before we upgraded to an Amiga 500. Still, there's nothing wrong we looking back at games we played in childhood and admitting that they weren't particularly good, whether due to having a narrow frame of reference in our young age, improvements in games design over the decades, or both.

7 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Taiko Drum Master games used to be crazy popular on here, and now no-one seems to give two shits about them.

I think it's starting to gain a little more fanfare in recent years. I presume 2004's Taiko Drum Master didn't sell as well in the US as hoped, which is why there wasn't more willingness to localize more games until Drum 'n' Fun on Switch. I presume that did well enough to justify more localization, because the US and Europe have been seeing more Taiko games ever since.

POOC1UE.png

Going on from series like Earthworm Jim and Gex, in general, I’ve noticed several game franchises that haven’t had a new game in years actually. F-Zero might be in demand the most, but Nintendo still doesn’t bother, so I wonder how many still care about these at large beyond niche interest:

Thunder Force:
Thunder Force (1983) - Thunder Force VI (2008)

Excite:
Excitebike (1984) - Excitebike: World Rally (2009)

Punch-Out!!:
Punch-Out!! (1984) - Doc Louis's Punch-Out!! (2009)

Adventures of Lolo:
Eggerland Mystery (1985) - Revival! Eggerland (2000)

Gradius:
Gradius (1985) - Gradius ARC (2010)

Rolling Thunder:
Rolling Thunder (1986) - Rolling Thunder 3 (1993)

Rygar:
Rygar (1986) - Rygar: The Battle of Argus (2008)

Adventure Island:
Adventure Island (1986) - Adventure Island: The Beginning (2009)

OutRun:
OutRun (1986) - OutRun Online Arcade (2009)

After Burner:
After Burner (1987) - After Burner: Black Falcon (2007)

Shinobi:
Shinobi (1987) - Shinobi (2011)

Splatterhouse:
Splatterhouse (1988) - Splatterhouse (2010)

Bonk:
Bonk's Adventure (1989) - Bonk's Return (2006)

Final Fight:
Final Fight (1989) - Final Fight: Streetwise (2006)

Golden Axe:
Golden Axe (1989) - Golden Axe: Beast Rider (2008)

F-Zero:
F-Zero (1990) - F-Zero Climax (2004)

Pilotwings:
Pilotwings (1990) - Pilotwings Resort (2011)

Oasis:
Defenders of Oasis (1992) - The Legend of Oasis (1996)

Wave Race:
Wave Race (1992) - Wave Race: Blue Storm (2001)

Lunar:
Lunar: The Silver Star (1992) - Lunar: Dragon Song (2005)

Top Gear:
Top Gear (1992) - Top Gear: Downforce (2008)

Lufia:
Lufia & the Fortress of Doom (1993) - Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals (2010)

22 hours ago, Phantoon said:

I think it's been victim to a couple of effects. First, there was a period where everything has to successfully get a 3D version or it was in deep trouble. Lemmings didn't really make the jump so it remained a 2D game in an era that that was a Bad Thing, messing no sequel for years. 

Secondly it's owned by Sony, the corporation well known to its devotion to its old properties. They don't give sequels to their old internally developed stuff, so an old British property has no chance. 

There's also the question of what you do for a sequel to Lemmings, beyond new abilities. It's close to being a complete game.

A modern Lemmings would be awesome, you could have a proper physics engine with materials and make it more intuitive. That way you could have more creative puzzles/exits then just release it with a level editor and regular updates, thanks.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is Twisted Metal. Popular on the PS1, but I think the last time it was on my radar in any way was when Twisted Metal Black on PS2 had to be edited because of the 9/11 attacks. It's had games released since then, but the most recent one was in 2012.

... but apparently the series still lives, just not in game form! A TV series adaptation has recently been filming, with Anthony Mackie, Neve Campbell, Thomas Haden Church and Will Arnett. :blink2:

22 hours ago, phillv85 said:

Does anyone care about Duke Nukem anymore? I know we got Forever which was pretty poor, I feel that’s killed Duke off for a long while. Unless there’s something going on I’m not aware of.

There is if you count mods:

14 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Going on from series like Earthworm Jim and Gex, in general, I’ve noticed several game franchises that haven’t had a new game in years actually. F-Zero might be in demand the most, but Nintendo still doesn’t bother, so I wonder how many still care about these at large beyond niche interest:

Nintendo should be banned from using anything F-Zero in Smash/Mario Kart until they commit to a new game. It’s been 20yrs! I think Nintendo can scrub it from being part of their stable of franchises now.

The meat of F-Zero, beyond clearing the Master cups and unlocking everything of course, is in time trialing. I personally don’t think there’s any market for something so niche.

Online vs. would have to be a 40-man knockout, or even an F-Zero 99 type affair which has been mentioned here a lot. Regular GP would become stale very, very quickly without a ton of gimmickry and rubber-banding (or potentially skill-based rubber-banding in the form of riding long trails of slipstream). I know it’s a different game, but MK8 without weapons is a total snooze fest - and I guess F-Zero would be even worse with its more intricate race lines and drifting systems, once someone’s out in front there’d be no pulling them back.

F-Zero GX is my favourite racer of all time, with X and Maximum Velocity not far behind. Obviously I’m no video game director, but if you were to put me in that position with infinite funding and no limit to creative freedom I’d have no idea how to go about even starting. It’s a lot more complicated than just dumping a GX remaster with online modes.