The Sandman - Netflix - NO COMIC BOOK CHAT

Thor

I struggle with Neil Gaiman stuff, and I'm struggling with this. None of it really floats my boat. It should, but somehow it doesn't. I quit watching American Gods for that reason. I'm close to quitting this as well.

1 hour ago, Monkeyboy said:

I struggle with Neil Gaiman stuff, and I'm struggling with this. None of it really floats my boat. It should, but somehow it doesn't. I quit watching American Gods for that reason. I'm close to quitting this as well.

American Gods the novel is shite. He's a shite novelist.

Yeah, Thewlis and Richardson were excellent in the early episodes. As I said in the other thread (because no-one is posting in here until recently), I really enjoyed the show, but it does peak at ...

Spoiler

... Death, and Gadling. And while Holbrook was brilliantly watchable as the Corinthian, I felt his menace was reduced as time went on.

And while I liked how the show ultimately ended, the last couple of episodes did feel a bit "Doctor Who" in terms of production and performances; in other words, naff. 

58 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Episode 3 done now, still liking it but come on, man, what are they doing with Constantine? 

Reveal hidden contents

Didn't smoke a single fag. :hmm:

That's because smoking is for stupid cunts. 

Watched the lot including the new bonus episode which was a nice bonus. 

Not perfect but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. It packed a lot in to 10 episodes and I hope they continue to do the books justice. 

Just watched the first episode.

It’s a bit of a mixed bag really. Thought the first couple of minutes were completely unnecessary. Liked a lot of the visuals. 

Some of the acting is fucking atrocious.

But, it’s okay. Not disappointing, but not dying to watch the rest.

Edit: Tell you what though - I'd pay good money to see a Joanna Constantine series with Jenna Coleman in it. She's fantastic in the role. 

4 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

She isn't in the first episode. 

What can I say? It's got better :) . I do think there's far too much in the way of extraneous exposition going on all the time, but it's got enough to keep me going :) 

On 14/08/2022 at 14:49, Monkeyboy said:

Gaiman’s stuff is very hit and miss for me as well but, so far at least, Sandman feels nowhere near as insufferably self satisfied as American Gods did. 

I liked the first episode but the second episode killed any interest I had in watching more. Tonally all over the shop, by turns ludicrously unfunny and crushingly po-faced and melodramatic. Wildly uneven acting. Just an episode of television so bafflingly poor I immediately pledged not to watch another.

Does this pick up as it goes? 3 episodes down and nothing is resonating. I find the concept of 

Spoiler

Jenna Coleman visiting a fucked up hell

quite exciting (assuming it goes that way) and the fact that it is an 18 without any suggestion yet why intrigues me. But it all feels a bit flat so far.