IGNORED

The Sandman - Netflix - NO COMIC BOOK CHAT

Thor

No comic Spoilers please.

After the problems in the The Boys thread (in fairness the spoilers were mild, but a spoiler is a spoiler), combined with the discourse in the other thread regarding changes from the books, I feel it's best for anyone watching this who has not read the books to just post here about the show, secure in the knowledge that nothing from future books will openly be talked about.

However, the key difference between The Sandman and The Boys is that The Sandman isn't a weekly show; Season 1 is all available now. With that in mind, please be mindful that everyone will watch at their own pace, and spoiler tag any detailed chat/major plot points with a prefix of which episode it relates to. 

Looking forward to digging into this tonight! :) 

Nah, this isn’t for me. Magic, and all that. I just can’t engage with it. 

…but my husband is really into it, so it looks like I’ll be watching along anyway. 

Really enjoyed the first episode. 

Despite being a comic book reader The Sandman isn’t something I’ve ever read or know anything at all about. I wasn’t sure at first as it all felt a bit Sunday evening BBC / Harry Potter which is a massive turn off for me, but I’m definitely glad I stuck with it. Looking forward to watching more over the weekend. 

3 minutes ago, SuperFamiTom said:

Really enjoyed the first episode. 

Despite being a comic book reader The Sandman isn’t something I’ve ever read or know anything at all about. I wasn’t sure at first as it all felt a bit Sunday evening BBC / Harry Potter which is a massive turn off for me, but I’m definitely glad I stuck with it. Looking forward to watching more over the weekend. 

Okay I know this is the no comics chat thread but I really just need to say, you really bloody need to read the comic, its like seminal stuff.

Anyway kids going to bed now, wine poured and ready to see my favourite piece of literature realised on the screen.  Hoping I can carry the non comic reading Mrs Dream with me for the duration....

10 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Okay I know this is the no comics chat thread but I really just need to say, you really bloody need to read the comic, its like seminal stuff.

Oh for sure. I know it’s a massive glaring hole for me. I’m hoping that when I have look at Amazon Comics tomorrow they’ll see me right with the digital editions being on sale. 

I'm 4 episodes in now, and liking it but not loving it.  Episode 3 was a highlight so far, but 2 was fun also.  The main character's thing of being all dark and mysterious just makes him come across as monotonous a lot of the time, but the supporting cast are entertaining (particularly

Spoiler

Constantine

in ep#3).

Will definitely watch to the end, but after all the great reviews I'm feeling slightly disappointed so far.

What's with that game with the devil that seems like the easiest thing to win. 

"I'm a wolf."

"Oh yeah? Well, I'm a wolf with machine guns, a nuclear bomb and a magic device that means you can't get any better than this. I win."

Should have gone with Twister.

21 hours ago, Jimmyzilla said:

I like Patton Oswalt but his voice is just too distinctive to be in all of these kind of shows...

Missed opportunity.

Enjoyed this, though it definitely peaked too early. Episodes 5 and 6 are leagues ahead of the others, leaving me feeling a bit underwhelmed by the end. Bring on season 2.

5 hours ago, James Lyon said:

What's with that game with the devil that seems like the easiest thing to win. 

"I'm a wolf."

"Oh yeah? Well, I'm a wolf with machine guns, a nuclear bomb and a magic device that means you can't get any better than this. I win."

Should have gone with Twister.

Or Battleships.

Finished. As soon as the David Thewlis story finished it turned to shit. 

There's no consistent tone to it either. I mean, it's ok but also a fucking mess. 

6/10

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

27 minutes ago, Ry said:

Finished. As soon as the David Thewlis story finished it turned to shit. 

There's no consistent tone to it either. I mean, it's ok but also a fucking mess. 

6/10

You are at the start of a story. It is not a mess. 

1 minute ago, cassidy said:

You are at the start of a story. It is not a mess. 

Well this season of television I just watched was a bit of a mess. 

Im not thinking ahead. I know nothing of the comic. 

Opinions.  Gotta love em. 😀

One thing about not thinking ahead. 

I always think ahead and try to work out where the story is going?  What this characters motivation is? Why is this happening?  Why are they doing that? 

Fuck all to do with having read the comic tbh. Its how I consume stories in any medium.  

9 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Opinions.  Gotta love em. 😀

One thing about not thinking ahead. 

I always think ahead and try to work out where the story is going?  What this characters motivation is? Why is this happening?  Why are they doing that? 

Fuck all to do with having read the comic tbh. Its how I consume stories in any medium.  

See I like good writing and acting held together by a cohesive tone when watching a film or show. 

There's so much stupid shit I struggled to switch off my brain. 

I didn't hate the show. Really enjoyed the first half. Then it fell away for me 6/10 seems fair. Will watch the second season. 

Spoiler

The serial killer convention. Those were nightmare entities, right? No way they can be humans. That would be daft beyond measure. 

No they are literal serial killers.  Only the Corinthian was made by dream. And I love that juxtaposition tbh. 

But again. You can not like it and I can love it.   I'm not coming into the show unbiased and Im very happy with it. 

Enjoying this, doesn't seem to go the extra mile but it's really not bad.

What spoils it a bit is seeing Morpheus pulling the Magnum Opus all the time. Just me?

GettyImages-1195887867.thumb.jpeg.e8313f55ba2aed925fae20589a15b8fc.jpeg