Women's Football 2022/23

bradigor

It was certainly a spectacle! I did look out for you Brad but I didn't pick you out of the crowd.

That game was quite different to most of the games I've seen Reading play this season - Liverpool came with a plan and executed it really well in the main, I am surprised it ended 3-3 but if there's one thing Reading do have it's tenacity. 

Because of the way Liverpool were set up we got to see a lot more of Reading in possession and some nice individual skills but it really highlighted their lack of cutting edge in attack. Liverpool, by contrast, were clinical with their chances in the box.

Yeah that sums it up. I felt we didn't press your defenders enough and let them hold on to the ball, allowing you to get up the pitch. 

I think a draw suits us both in a way as we move further clear of Leicester but without either being cut adrift. 

We don't always draw but when we do it's 3-3 :lol:

yeah shame we couldn't see you. Hopefully next time.

3 minutes ago, bradigor said:

United look so so good right now. @Gabzydo you think you can realistically win the league this season? 

I am fearful we will be destroyed when we play you. 

I watched the match on Sky, and they look like they can score with every attack.

19 minutes ago, bradigor said:

United look so so good right now. @Gabzydo you think you can realistically win the league this season? 

I am fearful we will be destroyed when we play you. 

They look really good, for sure. Don’t think Liverpool would be destroyed by any means, but confident United could win the league. Toons and Russo so good.

• 1 month later...

Hell of a career. He reasons for it after both heartwarming and heartbreaking. 

Her dad died at the end of the year and doesn't want to carry on without him by her side.

Though actually, interestingly, effectively that's already true. Since at least 2020, the pay for England international appearances has been equal for men and women (about £2k per match). However, all of the men let this be donated to the FA charity, and have done for decades, whereas at least some of the women choose to receive the payments.

Of course, such trifling payments are entirely meaningless to the men in the first place. More equality is always a good thing but it's worth looking at it in perspective.

Certainly, there's a pay disparity in the club game so international pay holds a different relative weight. I feel that it's a statement that indicates equality of importance to the associations responsible, and that's a good message to be putting out.

Fucking embarrassing from the FA today. Pitch inspection at 09:30 and decided the game can go ahead. Get to 6 minutes in and it is called off due to player safety. Turned out both clubs, ground staff, etc all advised the game should be called off at 09:30, but FA insisted it should be played due to TV. absolute joke. 

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Are you going to watch it @bradigor, given the Saudi sponsorship?

It's a minefield at the moment and not sure we have heard the end of what will happen, so not committing either way yet. They are not the only sponsors and only part of the package, so I honestly don't know. 

It is sportwashing and that needs to be stopped but also it is important there are more eyes on the Women's game so I need to consider where I stand when it actually happens.

42 minutes ago, bradigor said:

It's a minefield at the moment and not sure we have heard the end of what will happen, so not committing either way yet. They are not the only sponsors and only part of the package, so I honestly don't know. 

It is sportwashing and that needs to be stopped but also it is important there are more eyes on the Women's game so I need to consider where I stand when it actually happens.

Yeah, the women's game would benefit hugely from another successful tournament and so it is a real shame there is any whiff of controversy around it.

I agree that I don't think the situation is resolved, and there is perhaps an element of the greater good in supporting the women's game being a factor but it is all a bit murky.

Tickets for the Merseyside Derby sorted as Goodison. £40 for 6 tickets is a ridiculous price. Paid that for a single men's ticket back in 2003. Was close to £150 for two of us when I took Lucas a couple of years back.  

Probably my last chance to cross Goodison off the list of grounds visited, as never got there when we lived in Liverpool. 

England will play Haiti in their World Cup opener, they came through by beating Senegal 4-0 and Chile 2-1 in the playoffs. Portugal are also there, and seemed more comfortable in beating Cameroon 2-1 than the scoreline and events suggest, as they still had to rely on a very late penalty to regain the lead after Cameroon scored just before the 90 mintues were up.

The last is Panama, who were a class above Papua New Guinea in a 2-0 win, then beat Paraguay 1-0 in their final. Paraguay had qualified for that by beating Chinese Taipei on penalties. They were trailing 2-0 with ten minutes to go and the Taiwanese looked comfortable, but after Paraguay pulled one back, a Taiwan defender dallied on the ball shortly after the restart and Paraguay nipped in for an equaliser.

Regarding @Gabe's question above, I'll be watching this whereas I wasn't watching the men's last year. Part of this is certainly that it's Ireland's first major tournament and I'd hate to miss it, but there are other differences. One sponsor among many isn't at the same level as hosting, in that the eyes of the world aren't going to be on Saudi Arabia. That's not to deny that it's sportswashing - of course it is - but it's a step removed.

Ultimately, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable watching. I would have with the tournament last year. There are no hard rules I follow.

• 3 weeks later...