Commonwealth Games 2022

sprite

Starting this up for a thread about the sports themselves :) 

I’m loving having so much to watch each day, netball is my winner so far having recently got back into it.  Cycling always delivers (though I was confused to see an English tandem pilot for Wales who has also competed for Scotland, I didn’t realise they were cross-country, I wonder what sort of arrangements are in play?) except for the horror crash today :( 

Will be tuning in at 8pm for more netball and I do recommend giving it a go!  It’s a very tactical thing, unlike a lot of other sports the challenge isn’t in necessarily scoring the goal but getting it into the D.  Usually the shooters will score (most sport a 85% scoring average).

We’ve managed the opening ceremony, netball, rugby, weightlifting, triathlon and basketball so far. I think we’re at the bowls and beach volleyball tomorrow. All good fun so far and well organised. 

Brother went to cycling on Friday (24 hours before the serious crash) and the rugby sevens finals yesterday.

Triathlon was absolutely dominated by England, and doing exceptionally well in the gymnastics too.

BBC/iPlayer coverage of some stuff is infuriatingly low effort.

Wanted to watch the Men’s cross-country mountain biking from earlier today. Go on iPlayer and there’s a 4 hour programme that includes it as the last third of the show. Ace! Watch 90 minutes of brilliant racing, then the cunt commentator says (with literally 5 minutes of the race left) they are now fucking off, so to see the very very last bit, please switch to the iPlayer.

I’m on the fucking iPlayer you fucking thundercunt.

And then the programme ends. The event is nowhere else on the iPlayer I can find, only in this “fuck-you” truncated form in the 4-hour replay show.

So I have to go read the final result on a webpage, and miss what must have been a brilliant fight for bronze.

Fuckity bye BBC. If you don’t give a shit, why the fuck should I?

Rant over.

On 01/08/2022 at 22:21, the_debaser said:

Loving the basketball. 3v3 with one basket. Non stop action and great to watch. 

The finals were incredible.

Brilliant to see Katarina Johnson-Thompson defend her heptathlon title.

England needed to win by 14 to avoid Australia in the semi-finals...

Brilliant win from England’s netball team over New Zealand last night, so they play Australia in the semi-finals.

This woman’s road race is piss poor, but not nearly as bad as the shitshow camera coverage. Every camera feed is pixelated or fucked, even the helicopter camera. Deeply fubarred technical effort - very on-brand for the Beeb’s cycling coverage this games.

That bloke that won the 400m was hilarious. He looked dead after the race. Cracking last 100m. 

I used to run 200 and 400m at school for the athletics team. It's probably the most physically brutal distance to run. 

Race walking isn't the purest of sports (by which I mean it's not a competition of a basic skill or ability - fastest over certain distance, furthest throw/jump etc etc) but thats true of many events. Not for me but if people want to watch a race that is cross between endurance and speed tests with a bonus handicap of the manner of movement, good for them.

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

Race walking isn't the purest of sports

The women’s event appeared to be won by the person caught cheating the least. It’s like if in the cycling road race you were enabled to take a short-cut on the circuit, and were only sin-binned for a minute or so if someone spotted you doing it. Wobbly-walking is an absurd ”sport”.

Bronze for the men’s hockey team, and more diving medals for England (plus a gold for Scotland).

While England can’t quite catch Australia in terms of golds, we have won more medals overall.

On 08/08/2022 at 19:15, christaylor said:

No Australia are ahead by 2 overall, still very impressive though. 

Can't believe this is over already been a great couple of weeks having it on in the background while I work. 

Yeah, the Aussies grabbed more on the last day, even with an all-England squash final.

Closing ceremony was brilliant.

On 07/08/2022 at 16:23, SeanR said:

Hockey’s coming home!

too bloody close to home now!

I might have signed up for a back-to-hockey/pick-up-a-stick program at my son’s hockey club. Not that I’ve been influenced by England's recent escapades… :unsure:

anyone else taking up a sport recently, after this summer?