Show how games have evolved, with 3 games, 20 years apart

Benny

13 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I'd still take Punch-Out over the others, mind. 

And I'll take Pitfall! over any of the Uncharted games and the original Elite over, well, pretty much anything.

And is Red Dead Redemption 2 really an "evolution" of Outlaw, which I presume is a Boot Hill clone?

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

And I'll take Pitfall! over any of the Uncharted games and the original Elite over, well, pretty much anything.

And is Red Dead Redemption 2 really an "evolution" of Outlaw, which I presume is a Boot Hill clone?

It's an evolution of a "cowboy simulator", yes.

1 hour ago, Siri said:

where's the ghosts oh shit oh fuck

Pac-Man (1980)

image.thumb.png.ea6aaf8470163a831bfce8948ce5f64d.png

Luigi's Mansion (2001)

image.png.7dbb7f4b1ca9df88e1fe56a64412fc0e.png

Ghostwire: Tokyo (2022)

image.png.89ddc6a65d19dbdb3e671f7e2c885f13.png

I love ‘oh shit oh fuck’ as a concept 😀

Here's one that's on brand:

Concept: Motorcycles

1985: 

25.jpg?w=630&q=75

Hang-On (arcade)

2002:

36ohp6xjw4uxklel_1624349771.jpeg

GTA: Vice City (various)

2019:

Screen_Shot_2019_02_28_at_5.24.56_PM.0.p

Trials Rising (various)

Spoiler

(17 years between each exactly, fuck your rules Bennyyyyyyyyy)

Almost fits the requirements :) 

And yes Super Monkey Ball is probably worth a mention to fit in-between these games...

Marble Madness  - various  1984

image.thumb.png.d5ead938a2c97032c2802f668daad53d.png

TAMA : Giddy Ball In Adventurous Labyrinth :lol:  ( best name ever )-  Playstation & Saturn  1994

image.png.5899f6c6b431719ab6e6bd851b9f7091.png

image.png.9b256aebea024899e62b454d08e656a0.png

Marble Blast - Various  2002

image.png.4e170bb72716ef2b37944e5729d57c0d.png

Kororinpa ( Marble Mania )  Wii 2006 

image.png.13dab3b7637aa8851c9f9702dde0abd0.png

Marble it up!  sequel to Marble Blast  Various  2018 to present

There are also one or two Marble games released on Steam over the last couple of years,

but they are more " Marble League " / Racing type games.

I really like @Mr. Gerbik's one - it really captures how different that kind of game looked in such incredibly district stages. From 2D, to 3D, to photorealism. What you don't get in just screenshots of course is how drastically controls and interactions changed between them as well.

Loving these, but in nearly all the examples the massive jump is between the first two images, then only a bit if finessing* from the second to the third.

*finessing that's like years and years of work from super-genius-brains in hardware design and engine programming and tool creation and art and design skills, etc.

This is cool. I've been talking about doing a visual evolution of videogames in the mag for about 12 years. The idea was to have an image of a game and then bullet points highlighting what it introduced to the genre in question. I never ran it because I didn't think readers would feel it had any value.

12 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Loving these, but in nearly all the examples the massive jump is between the first two images, then only a bit if finessing* from the second to the third.

*finessing that's like years and years of work from super-genius-brains in hardware design and engine programming and tool creation and art and design skills, etc.

I think this is because the late 80s - 90s was such a ridiculous revolution in tech in so many ways, so the initial 20 year jump looked massive.

Concept: Rogue Group, use your harpoons and tow cables. Go for the legs!

maxresdefault.jpg

The Empire Strikes Back (Atari, 1982)

sote2.jpg

Shadows of the Empire (N64, 1996)

LEGO-Star-Wars-the-Skywalker-Saga-stud-f

Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (everything, 2022)

18 minutes ago, strider said:

This is cool. I've been talking about doing a visual evolution of videogames in the mag for about 12 years. The idea was to have an image of a game and then bullet points highlighting what it introduced to the genre in question. I never ran it because I didn't think readers would feel it had any value.

When the readership figures skyrocket, I will accept cash.

32 minutes ago, strider said:

Oh man, this is absolutely the stuff I pore over. Absolutely my bag when it comes to content!

I assume it's to do with the age I am and being fortunate enough to be around and playing games at start of the videogame hobby (or at least very very close to). Anything and everything that feels like it's pushing a machine, or doing something different with it just fascinates me and never fails to enthuse me!

28 minutes ago, Benny said:

I think this is because the late 80s - 90s was such a ridiculous revolution in tech in so many ways, so the initial 20 year jump looked massive.

Yeah, it's also a matter of timing - because the first proper genre examples happen in the 80s, you're effectively pushed to completely jump the 16 and 32-bit examples where a lot of the gradual steps took place, unless you're able to shoehorn the dawn of computing into it somehow (like the cool skeleton essay).

I'd like to stick in more examples, but then again three steps is pretty succinct for shitposting, so.. yeah.