IGNORED

Turn your Quest 2 VR Headset into a fantastic Emulation Machine! Now with Outrun 2

dumpster

It’s a pitty that your pc doesn’t run pcvr great as what you are looking for is new retro arcade neon on steam - it allows you to create a virtual arcade (with light gun cabinets etc..) can be fiddley to set up but once done it’s amazing 🙂 always brings me back to my teenage years when I fire it up (this is quick vid of one of my setups) 

On 30/07/2022 at 22:08, papalazarou said:

It’s a pitty that your pc doesn’t run pcvr great as what you are looking for is new retro arcade neon on steam - it allows you to create a virtual arcade (with light gun cabinets etc..) can be fiddley to set up but once done it’s amazing 🙂 always brings me back to my teenage years when I fire it up (this is quick vid of one of my setups) 

I did try this a while ago but Time Crisis ran very slowly for some reason. It could've been the image I downloaded as I couldn't get my head round setting it up on my own!

Well, as an update for the "no PC required" approach, for the life of me I can't work out how to do the old Playstation method where you put a second controller on the floor as your reload pedal.  Because that's the solution. Point Black is playing really well (although I could do with a bigger screen), but Time Crisis just needs a reload method that doesn't involve continually aiming the other Oculus controller at the screen.  The solution is to have a Bluetooth controller as pad two, have that in your left hand and press the reload button.  Other hand has the Oculus controller as your gun. 

• 2 weeks later...

So if you load ePSXE on the Oculus (sideload it via sidequest), then start the app, use one controller to drag the corner of the window before loading a game, you can make the screen as massive as you like.  Point Blank is amazing.  Note that the emulator crashes if you resize the window while the game is playing so resize your emulator then load the game.

I tried Emu VR and got frustrated at having to set up a TV and plug wires in - also you end up playing the game on a TV.

Here's Point Blank on ePSXE.  This video seems to be filmed inside a ball, but in real life it is a flat screen in the air in front of you.There's proper audio in real life too.

You can see in this, if you  look to the left, the A and B buttons on the gun are there and you can use the other controller to point to them.  if I can remap these to a controller button in the left hand, I've cracked it.  

• dumpster changed the title to Turn your Quest 2 VR Headset into a fantastic Emulation Machine! (edit - Was Quest and Time Crisis)
On 31/07/2022 at 10:44, papalazarou said:

You can also side load the android game pass app and cloud play 🙂 (connect your Xbox controller via Bluetooth) 

How would one go about getting the APK for the proper legit app without risk of hacked stuff or anything?

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

How would one go about getting the APK for the proper legit app without risk of hacked stuff or anything?

I got the version I’m using of apkpure - not sure how you would get a copy of Google play 

• dumpster changed the title to Turn your Quest 2 VR Headset into a fantastic Emulation Machine! Now with Outrun2.added.
On 31/07/2022 at 04:58, dumpster said:

It's not real stereoscopic 3D yet, but the effect is like playing on  a theme park ride cinema (think Simpsons/Back to the Future at Universal), not 3D but a curved screen filling your field of vision.)

Outrun 2 on PSP is incredible in VR.  The power slides are superb and I get no motion sick ess whatsoever - and I would usually get about 10 minutes into Driveclub on PSVR before quitting...   Outrun 2 in VR.  Let me repeat that.  IT IS OUTRUN 2 IN VR.

you got me intrigued despite owning none of the hardware required for this, but these two sentences appear to contradict each other. I mean, it’s not VR if it’s just like looking at a big curved screen, is it?

9 minutes ago, Darwock said:

you got me intrigued despite owning none of the hardware required for this, but these two sentences appear to contradict each other. I mean, it’s not VR if it’s just like looking at a big curved screen, is it?

It's very early days and you have to remember that the game may not be drawing the world that you wouldn't be able to see on screen on the PSP.  In Outrun 2 you can select the in car view, and you get the bonnet and some dashboard.  But if you look around you can't see the whole car or the woman.  When you go around a hairpin bend you see the road drawing to the side of you because you can turn your head and look over to a place that hasn't been drawn on screen.  But you can look around.  You can look up and see how the trees just stop because no-one drew them.  And it feels 3D because the virtual curved screen is bigger than your own field of vision.  

It is janky, you're in a world that was never created to be viewed from any angle but it's still pretty incredible.

• dumpster changed the title to Turn your Quest 2 VR Headset into a fantastic Emulation Machine! Now with Outrun 2

Interesting, I might charge up my original Quest and have a go :)

We did some tests in VR with All-Star Transformed and whilst you wouldn't think it would work letting you look around from a third person camera, it actually played and felt pretty good. Having the car as a reference point helps with motion sickness, sort of like those 3D cinema rides where you chase a spaceship through an asteroid field! It was deeply unpleasant when we tried it with a cockpit cam. Feel sick just thinking about it 

PSP OutRun2 I'm surprised it works with as if you look away from the car as we had to cull a lot scenery if it's not in view. That might be fixable if they are overriding the main camera as in theory you could tell it not to cull anything you're now looking at. It's one of the reason there is no rear view mirror, once you've driven past something it ceases to exist :)

Is there any downsides to activating dev mode and side loading eg. Getting an account banned or losing access to the store etc?

1 hour ago, S0L said:

Interesting, I might charge up my original Quest and have a go :)

We did some tests in VR with All-Star Transformed and whilst you wouldn't think it would work letting you look around from a third person camera, it actually played and felt pretty good. Having the car as a reference point helps with motion sickness, sort of like those 3D cinema rides where you chase a spaceship through an asteroid field! It was deeply unpleasant when we tried it with a cockpit cam. Feel sick just thinking about it 

You always tell us these exciting things you tried out and it hurts so much that they won’t become reality 😂

I just want more Transformed honestly.

33 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Is there any downsides to activating dev mode and side loading eg. Getting an account banned or losing access to the store etc?

You always tell us these exciting things you tried out and it hurts so much that they won’t become reality 😂

From what I can see there's no issue with activating dev mode.  Worst case scenario is that they notice you aren't developing and change it back, but I don't see that happening. 

51 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Sorry! If it helps I'd like to make more Transformed but I'm locked into the current gig for a number of years.

We try all sorts of things out when we get new tech to play with, at that point we'd be given some Oculas Rifts and told to have a tinker. One of the guys had the Transformed source code and it was relatively easy to hook it into the camera. It was quite strange to suddenly be in those worlds. Like OutRun though there are bits we just didn't need to build as you normally can't see them so it would have been quite some work to fill in the gaps.

That and initial attempts with cockpit cam and even third person cameras with a wide field of view didn't half make you feel sick. Nothing but respect for people who develop in VR full time. 

It's really interesting to hear that, from a developer too.

As I said earlier I struggled with DriveClub VR, always feeling motion sick.  Quest 2 doesn't give me that same feeling and I'm not sure why.  Resident Evil 4 is fine for me with all smoothest movement turned on, but it took me a long time to get to that stage in Resi7 on PSVR, and if I don't use the PSVR for a while I seem to lose the tolerance.

The other thing that impressed me is how much the game just works out of the box in this state. Don't get me wrong, it's flickery, buggy, you can look around at parts of the world that don't exist. But that's because someone took an existing emulator and bolted on VR support. Then I chose a game that was never designed to be played in VR and saw what happened.   It makes me think that the Quest version of Resident Evil 4 was probably the existing Android version.  Step one, change the viewpont to where Leon's head would be.  Step 2, well that's the game all finished, now to play test it to death.  Like, 90% of the work is gameplay and control, because the game is already done.  I know it's not that straightforward in real life, but I find it fascinating how game code written in 2006 works at all in VR.

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

I’d just be happy to play OR2 on a massive cinema screen using my quest, I assume that’s possible?

Yep just sideload PPSSPP and the game iso.  Or do the guide for the VR version and switch the VR setting off.

5 hours ago, S0L said:

Most of the time taking something and moving it over to a new platform isn't the time consuming bit, it's making sure it all works, is polished and hits an expected level of quality for the target platform.

I found a video of this running on a PC VR setup, using the same emulator. Like so...

Let's assume that this wasn't a camera override in an emulator but we were doing it for real. We'd of course fix the culling so you could look around yourself (including behind you). But then you'd need too...

• Fix the HUD, right now it's off the screen somewhere you can't see it. Knowing how much time you have left is kinda important, plus you lilkely want the rev counter and speedo to decide when to shift with manual gears.
  • Decide what to do about the cockpit camera, as we'd need to model more of the car for every vehicle so it's not just floating there in space.
  • As side effect, decide if we render Jennifer and Clarissa, they'd likely need higher LOD models so they don't have sharp knees.
  • Then do we add in details to the dashboards so you can see your speed etc?
  • What about controls, we'll need to support the Quest controllers, but we'll need to tune them so the handling is correct.
  • And then menu's, we'll need to make sure you can access settings and the like...
  • Also audio, we'll likely need to do 3D spatialised audio so when you turn your head it reflects the orientation.
  • Then we likely need to make sure you can suspend/resume it on the hardware and support any other requirements.
  • Any other QoL changes (i.e allow graphical settings or even a performance/quality mode).
  • And it's got to run well, clearly whatever was running this in that linked video was struggling. VR needs you to render everything twice as it's effectively 3D, depending on hardware, that means perf and optimisation work.
  • Bug fix it till it's shippable :)

Finger in the air this stuff is what takes a chunk of time, so even if you start with a 'finished' game and are migrating it, there is a minimum of about 3 to 6 months work. 

It's very rare to move something over quickly and easily, even if you start with something that's shipped.

If you print out this post, you could use it as a checklist, ticking the items off one at a time over the next three to six months. It is very generous of you to share your confirmed plans in this way and we appreciate it.  Best of luck with the conversion.  

Most of games dev is write list, print off list, strike things out, rewrite list and repeat till you run out of time :)

I keep telling the brass we should revisit OutRun for the SUMO 20th anniversary...