Emulation on Quest 2 - now with Ridge Racer in real 3DVR....

dumpster

• 2 weeks later...

Version 18 of the PSP emulator is out.  Seems to have better tracking and more compatibility.

Ghouls and Ghosts allows you to turn your head to the right and see the whole level sprawling out in front of you.  The viewpoint for the game is just weird.  But if you turn VR off it looks incredible on the big screen, genuinely.  Give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/09/2022 at 21:41, dumpster said:

In fact, just playing PSP games on a cinema screen is worth the price of entry.  If the games work in VR that's even better.

How are you playing in big screen? I have the standard PPSSPP app installed and working but its on a small screen.  Same for EPSXE (I cant seem to drag the screen to increase it).  

I have not worked out yet how to download the PPSSPP VR apk ! 

59 minutes ago, Parappa said:

How are you playing in big screen? I have the standard PPSSPP app installed and working but its on a small screen.  Same for EPSXE (I cant seem to drag the screen to increase it).  

I have not worked out yet how to download the PPSSPP VR apk ! 

Get it from the google drive link earlier in the thread.  Then there's a VR setting that you simply turn off or on.  When it's off you get a big screen. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well today is a good day. Version 26 of the emulator is out and it's a major update. 

The PSP emulator in the first post has been updated a few times since I started the thread and I tried the latest version tonight.  There are a few improvements.  Like... Major improvements.

First of all, the weird flickering is gone.  You can play Outrun 2, Ridge Racer etc and the graphics are clear.  Play the game in VR mode and turn off the HUD and you have an amazing Ridge Racer game, fully playable.  But there's more.

It's only in fucking 3D now isn't it! 

Yes, go into the VR menu in Settings and you'll find stereoscopic 3d.  It varies from game to game but Ridge Racer 2 is absolutely amazing.  Switch upscale to 4x or less and it's silky smooth, VR and full 3D.  It's close to perfect, although graphics that are not drawn in areas you're not supposed to see.  It's like playing Daytona on Saturn with the pop up.  But it's fully VR and in 3D. 

Outstanding! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/11/2022 at 12:16, Floex said:

Really wanna give this a go! Is it possible to get this going on a Mac? Don’t have a PC 😭

Yes, because you only need a computer to download the files, see the OP.  The emulator is an APK for Android (The Quest is an android device). There is a mac version of Sidequest. 

The latest PPSSPP update version 33 (Google drive link in OP) has 3d stereoscopic view in big screen mode now and it's another game changer, now you have the choice of big screen, big screen in 3d, VR or VR in 3D.  Ace Combat doesn't work in VR because the PSP only draws the scenery you'd see on a regular PSP with nothing below you or off to the sides.  But if you use the 3D Bigscreen you only get to see the graphics you'd normally see , so there's no graphical issues. And the 3D really enhances it all.

Ridge Racer is amazing in VR but if you turn your head to the side you might see the mountains disappearing because you shouldn't be able to see that area.  But it's so good in 3DVR I can overlook it.  But if that bothers you, play it on the big screen, it now runs absolutely perfectly but still in 3D. I recommend pressing the left stick to turn off the HUD.  Also if you use the behind the car view you get a black bar at the bottom of the screen.  But what kind of savage plays Ridge Racer like that anyway. 

Split Second on the PSP was uplayable in VR but really shines in Big screen 3D, with tyres flying overhead, explosions and whatnot.  You have to play the in car view (that black bar appears again on the external view) but it's great fun.

However I find it won't start Outrun 2 at all any more.  So more incentive for @S0L to knock a version up in his garage anonymously.  

definitely worth a play with this, it's my favourite thing on the headset.  Some games are finicky, some don't work at all, but those that do.... It's extraordinary .

8 hours ago, Parappa said:

I tried Ridge the other day and while broken in so many ways (and it should be) it's a nuts experience. It's like been in a PS1 game.

Was it smooth for you? I had to talk a couple of friends through the process, upscale to 4x, change a couple of settings to make it perfect.

7 hours ago, dumpster said:

Was it smooth for you? I had to talk a couple of friends through the process, upscale to 4x, change a couple of settings to make it perfect.

Yeah very smooth with the settings you advise in the OP. Also surprised how good drifting was with the oculus controls.

Split Second is incredible. Like it was made for VR.  There's a strange compatibility issue (same as Ridge Racer but more intrusive) where an external car view draws a black square behind the car, completely obscuring it.  If you do the interior view it's fine and there's minimal graphical issues.  But played on a 3D big screen (so not true VR) it's a riot.  Loving it.