IGNORED

The big systems you've never used

As a kinda companion thread to the "What consoles just didn't click with you" thread (which is what made me think about this), are there any of the "big" consoles or micros have you never, or almost never, played on / used?

I think we'd need to stick to the bigger systems, since there were loads of obscure micros about in the 80s and almost no-one had access to consoles like the NeoGeo or Jaguar. And did anyone have an MSX?

Considering my age, probably the biggest omission for me is the Spectrum family. One of my cousins had one, as did the lad who lived on the corner of our road, but I don't remember ever actually playing on them. We had Commodores, as did most of our mates, and the Speccy always seemed like a poor alternative. This is one of the few "I wish back then I'd got a ..." I have, but only alongside my C64, not instead of.

Similarly, anything Amstrad. A mate who lived down the road had a CPC, with a green screen monitor, but we never played on it. And I don't think I've even seen another one.

Atari ST. A mate in school had one, because his brother was into making music so wouldn't let us touch it, and a family friend also had one. But he was very much one of those "no you can't play on it, but you can watch me play on it" types. Everyone else we knew who had a 16 bit micro had an Amiga. They were basically the same, games wise anyway. So I don't feel like I've missed much.

When it comes to consoles, I've never touched the two 8 bit biggies. The same family friend who had the ST got a Master System and, again, wouldn't let us actually play on it. But I think that's the only time I've even seen one. And, now I think about it, I literally don't think I've ever seen a NES. Consoles just weren't a thing as far as I was concerned right up until Street Fighter II on the SNES. I'd occasionally see them advertised in done of the American comic books my brother got, but no one I knew had one right up until the early - mid 90s. The guy who had the Master System only had it when we had a Mega Drive. Everyone just had micros up to that point.

In handhelds, I don't remember having played a GBA or anything post original DS (well, DS Lite). 

Any big gaps in your gaming history?

Apart from the Atari 2600 & Gameboy I didn’t do console gaming up until the original PlayStation. Mates had them so I had access to the likes of the Master System, Megadrive & SNES but I was always more into the home micro’s up until time to in-connect the A1200.

I finally got around to trying a Jaguar at EGX 2016, via some Tempest 2000 available on a small CRT setup. Really, I just wanted to try the controller... and yes, it's probably the worst peripheral I've held. The thing is so massive and there's no real shape for your palms to fit into so you need a minute just to work out a comfortable means of holding it. It makes the OG Xbox controller seem fine.

I have tons of gaps because I'm not the sort who buys all of the consoles for each generation, but emulation has helped with a lot of things. We never owned a SNES, or Saturn, or N64, or any number of the crappy CD-based things in the fifth generation. (I did buy the SNES Classic Mini though :D )

(EDIT: oh yeah, I skipped the Gamecube. I had an Xbox 1 during the sixth gen and later picked up a PS2 when they were cheap, but I didn't feel like I was missing out on too many GC things - Monkey Ball, Viewtiful Joe and Resi were eventually multiformat... I also skipped the Wii and WiiU because I was keener on the games available on the other machines. I still need to play Bayo 2 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions though!)

Is the 3DS retro yet? I remember holding off from buying one for months. I was convinced that they'd release a better model revision - or announce a price cut - the second I buy the current model, and it took me forever until I could try one for myself and see the 3D effect. I'll probably get a cheap used one eventually (not right now as I'm budgeting my gaming spends several months ahead) but it was a bit of a slip-up.

The Amiga - I don’t think I’ve even seen o e in the flesh. 

Jaguar - Because it looked shite. 

A friend of a friend had a Neo Geo back when they were new. We each had a SNES and rented most of the games we played. I didn’t quite connect the dots on the price of the console back then and just how the hell he was able to afford it. I’ve lost touch with the friend now so I can’t ask!

I didn't own a Saturn until years after the thing was dead and buried, and when I did pick one up with about 20 games every single one of them was terrible*. There were at least 2 "Actua" sports titles in there which gives you some idea of the quality I was dealing with. The only game I've ever completed on it is Shining Force 3 (which was great and wasn't part of the bundle of 20), everything else I tried I played for a few minutes and got bored. That includes Nights, which I only had the disc for and couldn't make head nor tale of. 

I still have the Saturn in a box somewhere but no longer have any urge to play it, or a TV that I can connect it to, so I'm not sure why I'm keeping hold of it.

*Just checked and actually Sega Rally is in there so there was at least one good game in that 20.

I own almost every console from the NES onwards, but I never had any of the home computers as a kid and also needed a line to draw when it came to collecting. Unsurprisingly that line came at home computers so I've missed out on huge amounts from that side. 

I've never used a Spectrum, C64, Amstrad CPC and have very little experience with the Amiga and Atari lines where I have played on them a bit at mates' houses. I do have the console versions of some of the computers (XEGS, CD32, GX4000 etc.) so I have played some of the games that way, but computers (asides from PC) have always been a gap in my experience.

From a console perspective the only 'big' one I've missed is the Xbox One. I actually had one pre-ordered but when they came out with that Kinect fuckery I cancelled it and ordered a PS4. I never got an Xbox One the end, but with most games being multiplatform and now having an Xbox SX I can go back and play the handful of games I missed.

I avoided all the home computers and early Atari machines.

There was things flying around with my friends and I wanted a games machine but it was on seeing the NES that I thought to myself “that’s it, that’s what I want.”

Actually one of the big sellers for me was the control pad. I saw the controller and had an instant realisation that this was something that would allow me to ‘play games properly’ compared to the likes of keys and joysticks.

I don't think I've ever played on an Atari ST. If we are including more obscure consoles, Atari 5200. Can't think of any others unless we include modern consoles, in which case I've never played on a Switch.

I never touched an Apple computer until I did an illustration degree in the late 90s, well, I did have a brief go on a Mac Classic in my art foundation year. Basically I've never used an Apple II or similar, not even seen one in real life. They weren't that popular in the UK, certainly compared to the US.

The Atari ST was just a shit Amiga, to be blunt. To be slightly less blunt, it was Amiga with jerky horizontal scrolling and a sound chip that had a slightly shrill 8-bit quality to it. I had an ST, and then later on got an Amiga and there was just no comparison - they were effectively the same computer with almost entirely the same range of games, except the Amiga version was almost always a bit better.

The hardware looked quite nice - those diagonal function keys! That mad polygonal mouse! - but if you've only seen or used an Amiga, you're missing out on very little. About the only selling point if you weren't a professional musician was the Super / Power Pack bundles, which came with a crazy number of games.

I had an MSX! It was a decent system. 

I've never played a number of Nintendo other than a NES and SNES. Those are the big ones for me. No real interest in what Nintendo offer being the reason. 

14 minutes ago, K said:

The Atari ST was just a shit Amiga, to be blunt. To be slightly less blunt, it was Amiga with jerky horizontal scrolling and a sound chip that had a slightly shrill 8-bit quality to it. I had an ST, and then later on got an Amiga and there was just no comparison - they were effectively the same computer with almost entirely the same range of games, except the Amiga version was almost always a bit better.

The hardware looked quite nice - those diagonal function keys! That mad polygonal mouse! - but if you've only seen or used an Amiga, you're missing out on very little. About the only selling point if you weren't a professional musician was the Super / Power Pack bundles, which came with a crazy number of games.

Oids is the game I always felt like I was missing out on. I should emulate that at some point in my life. I might even have an ST knocking around :unsure:

Never used a Sega Saturn.

I came close on two occasions. The first was a display model in Toys R Us, which had that awful-looking UK controller (I mean, it looked cool af, but very uncomfortable). The queue was too big to have a go though (imagine that).

Then I bought a second hand one off NTSC-UK, never received it, and the guy refunded me. I reckon he just never sent it in the first place.

Never played on any Xbox system apart from the original (no idea what it’s called these days), and that’s only because a friend and former classmate was very into gaming and bought every system going. Never been interested in owning any of them; I have no interest in and don’t play FPSes or American sports games.

Apart from demo pods in shops, I’ve only really played NES games from 1997(?) onwards, and that was due to the NESticle emulator. No-one really owned NES in this country; Master Systems weren’t very common, but weren’t unknown either, and I played on more actual Master Systems than the competitors.

MSX, Commodore 16 or Amstrad CPCs? Literally played more games on monochrome 68k Macs than those. Anyone owning an Amstrad system seemed to have a PCW instead of a CPC, usually if their parents were self-employed.

In my defence I am younger than most here but my list is pretty embarrassing! Anything released earlier than the NES I've never used.

NES I played for half an hour.

Played SNES for about ten minutes.

Played PS1 for a few hours.

PS2 about 15 minutes.

Gamecube about half an hour.

PSP about half an hour.

Wii about 15 minutes.

Despite passing by the Wii U launch queue in NYC I never saw one.

Never even seen a 3DS or any variant.

Two minutes for Xbox One on a demo pod in HMV.

Only ever seen a Switch in public once on a train in Canada, never touched one.

Never seen an Xbox series whatevershitnametheyhave.

Had regular access to, but barely touched the Nintendo Gamecube. It was my brother's and I just didn't bother. 

Had a Dreamcast for a little while (bought at launch) before selling it. No games. 

#ohnohedidnt :lol:

The Spectrum would be the big one for me. We had a BBC Micro at home, my cousin had a Commodore 16, a couple of mates had the Amstrad CPC 464 and my best mate had a Commodore 64, which he loaned to me for a while when he upgraded to an Amiga 500. But I've no real experience with the Spectrum. In fact, I honestly think I've spent more time playing on one friend's obscure Tatung Einstein and another's MSX than I ever did the Speccy. It's one of those things I've always wanted to spend some real time emulating, but I don't even really know where to start beyond Jet Set Willy and Manic Miner.

57 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

No-one really owned NES in this country;

Yes, they did and I was one of them. It was the dominant console format at my high school for ths last couple of years and there was a proper NES economy going on with people lending and swapping games. Across my time at high school (89-93)along with the NES,  the 8 bit micros, the MasterSystem, the 16bit micros and the Megadrive were all really popular. There was good cross section across my year group.

Interesting question. 

Thinking about it, I'm not sure I ever played on a Sega Master System. I can't think, for sure, of when I would have done - don't remember any of my friends having it, etc. But surely I must have done at some point!

I didn't play on an Amstrad till very late - when I picked up a Plus model (built in cartridge slot) from a car boot sale for about a fiver in the late 90s. Had a mate with a 3D0, played on a Jaguar on an in-store demo pod when it was first released - so I've had a least a tinker with even the more obscure of the "mainstream" machines. 

Never played a PC Engine I don't think but that's probably true of most of us in this country. 

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Never played on any Xbox system apart from the original (no idea what it’s called these days), and that’s only because a friend and former classmate was very into gaming and bought every system going. Never been interested in owning any of them; I have no interest in and don’t play FPSes or American sports games.

Apart from demo pods in shops, I’ve only really played NES games from 1997(?) onwards, and that was due to the NESticle emulator. No-one really owned NES in this country; Master Systems weren’t very common, but weren’t unknown either, and I played on more actual Master Systems than the competitors.

MSX, Commodore 16 or Amstrad CPCs? Literally played more games on monochrome 68k Macs than those. Anyone owning an Amstrad system seemed to have a PCW instead of a CPC, usually if their parents were self-employed.

I owned a nes :)

Spectrum , Gameboy then nes. Another mate owned one too. It was fairly late on in its life. Mean machines existed at that point

I've not played on any Playstation hardware after the PSP with the exception of very brief goes on Ridge Racer 7 and Killzone 3 round friends' houses.

My cousins had a NES but with only a handful of bargain basement games and somehow they didn't have Super Mario Bros... For a long time my impressions of the NES were a game called Troggs (which I thought was pretty cool to be fair!). I spent a lot of time with NES emulation though in the late 90s.

Never played on an actual Saturn, but have played the 360 versions of Nights, Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun and the recent Panzer Dragoon remake.

Have only fleeting experience of the N64. Played 1080 and F-Zero X - both of them seemed pretty cool.

I got to experience a lot of the 8 bit micros, the only big one I never saw was the CPC.

2 hours ago, Haribokart said:

In my defence I am younger than most here but my list is pretty embarrassing! Anything released earlier than the NES I've never used.

NES I played for half an hour.

Played SNES for about ten minutes.

Played PS1 for a few hours.

PS2 about 15 minutes.

Gamecube about half an hour.

PSP about half an hour.

Wii about 15 minutes.

Despite passing by the Wii U launch queue in NYC I never saw one.

Never even seen a 3DS or any variant.

Two minutes for Xbox One on a demo pod in HMV.

Only ever seen a Switch in public once on a train in Canada, never touched one.

Never seen an Xbox series whatevershitnametheyhave.

Might have been easier telling us which consoles you have played tbh.

2 hours ago, JamesC said:

Yes, they did and I was one of them. It was the dominant console format at my high school for ths last couple of years and there was a proper NES economy going on with people lending and swapping games. Across my time at high school (89-93)along with the NES,  the 8 bit micros, the MasterSystem, the 16bit micros and the Megadrive were all really popular. There was good cross section across my year group.

Figuratively, not literally no-one. Even at its peak, it only had a very, very small market share in the UK (in a much smaller gaming marketplace).

(FWIW, I do like the NES. Loads of classic games, which I’ve come to appreciate through emulation.)

3 hours ago, JamesC said:

Across my time at high school (89-93)along with the NES,  the 8 bit micros, the MasterSystem, the 16bit micros and the Megadrive were all really popular

We must be a similar age and it almost all SNES in my school, along with C64 and Amigas / STs. 

I didn't include the 3DO in my original post, since I don't think it sold particularly well. I don't think I've ever seen a CD32 or CDi. 

The N64 and GameCube were one game systems for me - GoldenEye and Monkey Ball respectively.

In the more modern era, never touched a WiiU (got negged to hell in the thread on here at the time because I genuinely thought it was an add on for the Wii, which I didn't own back then), PS4, PS5 or Switch. Just no interest in them.

31 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Figuratively, not literally no-one. Even at its peak, it only had a very, very small market share in the UK (in a much smaller gaming marketplace).

(FWIW, I do like the NES. Loads of classic games, which I’ve come to appreciate through emulation.)

Yeah, but that list is decieving, simply because there are so many systems on it. By your logic 'no one' had a Game Boy in '92 either, which is obviously not the case. Even the Speccy only had a 14.1% share and they were so prolific, the software was being sold in corner shops and garages.

4 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

This is very wide of the mark. The 360 has such a diverse library both on disc and on XBLA it's possibly my favourite console of all time.

29 minutes ago, Camel said:

This is very wide of the mark. The 360 has such a diverse library both on disc and on XBLA it's possibly my favourite console of all time.

Yeah, while I was no fan of the OG XB, the 360 and xbla converted me from Sony to MS for the last couple of generations.

For me, the SNES. Barely used one for more than five minutes.

First one I bought used, never worked. Carts would just not register. Tried loads of fixes including replacing the actual cartridge connector on the board but still nada. Wrote if off with the technical diagnosis of "it's fucked" and sold it for scrap on ebay.

Second one was a fully switch-modded SNES that I intended to really get invested in but...uh...I just left it in the original shipping box and never used it for whatever reason. I guess I was more interested in the idea of SNES gaming than actually being motivated to use/play it. The only advantage to the modded console was that I started a CIB Super Famicom collection and only got as far as Castlevania IV and Super Metroid, but they quadrupled in value by the time I flogged them on ebay so I did well out of it.

Also the Xbox 360. Never owned one and was never enough games I was interested in to justify buying one. Anything multi-plat I bought on PS3, and I just preferred that machine for the far greater variety of JRPGs and all that stuff. I did intend to get one at some point and even picked up a few choice games I was interested in like DOA Xtreme 2, Rumble Roses XX etc. (highbrow entertainment indeed) but, again, just couldn't be arsed when it came to it. Never bothered with any subsequent Xboxes either as there was never enough in terms of exclusitivity to convince me that I needed one alongside Playstation machines.

8 hours ago, Camel said:

Oids is the game I always felt like I was missing out on. I should emulate that at some point in my life. I might even have an ST knocking around :unsure:

I always forget about Oids - it seems like the main advantage the ST had over the Amiga. There must be a way of playing the Mac or ST version in a browser.