The Bear (Disney+)

elyuw

I couldn't find any mention of this on here so I thought I better start a thread, one of the best things I've watched this year. Well worth your time to have a look. It says comedy on the Trailer, but I'd say it was a 30 minute drama. Also, if you make that far Ep7 is a killer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/07/2022 at 13:56, Arn X Treme said:

It's been getting lots of love in the "rate the last series" thread.

It was but it deserves much more attention. It is one of those shows where everything has just come together and everyone brought their A game. The cast, the characters, the editing, the music, the direction, the aesthetic. It is also just so dense. Nothing much really happened in the first season, but so much happened.

Hope the second season can be just as good, and it shouldn't have ended as a miniseries.

It's great and I loved it but it's also really weird, the scenes often feel like you've been dropped halfway into a conversation between friends and you have no context or backstory to what's going on or what the conversation is about. 

The way everything is written is just really odd and different. 

• 1 month later...

Yep, finished The Bear just now. 

That went over in an instant, up there with all the good TV stuff we already know. So, so good.

I really hope we get more of these characters, and I expect we probably will. But if not, that was a pretty much perfect 8 episode story.

Heard Chef. 

This is so fucking good.

I watched them all today. Posted about it in the Disney thread, but I will repeat the same old shit here, that was a perfect 8 episode run. Fucking love it, up there with all the good ones we already know about

Agree, Sat down yesterday evening to watch 1 episode and went to bed at 1am! after watching them all.

Spoiler

I don't get the tinned tomatoes with cash thing? Why did Michael leave the cash in the tins? Why take the loan in the first place and then not build the franchise?

I guess the simple answer to that is 

Spoiler

because Michael was suicidal. The show starts off showing Michael to be this negative force who has trapped his brother in a type of hell. But by the end he’s seen as an angelic figure, whose plotting helps heal the family he has left. He realised that pushing his brother away from the family restaurant so he could be ‘more’ was wrong and this is how he’s atoning for that mistake…from beyond the grave. At least that’s my read on it.

I honestly don't know how people are binging this back to back straight thru - it is by far the most intensely stressful thing I've watched. Thank god they are only 30m eps. Even going to a DIY shop to buy caulk was stressful.

I know it's meant to be and it's the tone they're going for, I just find it hard to contemplate going straight into another after watching one, I need a few days in-between.

Only watched 2 and I don't dislike it, but wouldn't say I like it either yet.

On 16/10/2022 at 14:01, Capwn said:

I watched episode 1, found it a bit dull. Best bit was the opening with the bear in the street, does the bear come into it later? 

I didn’t think much of episode one, it was more silly than anything, but ep two was very good.

The first episode is trying to ram set up & many characters down your throat, but doesn’t do it particularly well.

Yeah ep7 was super intense. And was it all one take? Cos it looked and felt like it. 

Love this show but if you ain't paying attention you miss out on some zingers. .

Spoiler

I sowed up someone's asshole, he was my best friend

14 hours ago, cassidy said:

Yeah ep7 was super intense. And was it all one take? Cos it looked and felt like it. 

Love this show but if you ain't paying attention you miss out on some zingers. .

Hide contents

I sowed up someone's asshole, he was my best friend

I think I put it in the Rate The TV Show thread, but this maybe a different article...

SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 7 & EPISODE 8

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/07/jeremy-allen-white-the-bear-episode-7-single-take-one-shot-1234739087/