Jump to content

Delisted Metal Gear games coming back for the 35th Anniversary


 Share

Recommended Posts

On 14/07/2022 at 02:00, Darwock said:


I have this vague memory from the Subsistence releases of the MSX games that there was some weird issue with something physical being required (a la the back of the box reference from MGS) to progress in one of the games. Did I make that up? And if there was something how did they deal with it in the later release?

 

I seem to recall that in MGS on the PS you had to find a Codec frequency to contact someone - you found it in one of the images on the back of the box.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, smac said:

 

I seem to recall that in MGS on the PS you had to find a Codec frequency to contact someone - you found it in one of the images on the back of the box.

This is absolutely true. Campbell specifically tells you to "check the CD case". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Thor said:

This is absolutely true. Campbell specifically tells you to "check the CD case". 

 

Yeah, I bought a pirate copy and it didn't have the box art. I think if you leave it long enough they contact you anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's often assumed to be an anti-piracy measure but I find it just as likely that it's another one of Kojima's many fourth wall breaking tricks in that game. Who knows, maybe both. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, R0b said:

It's often assumed to be an anti-piracy measure but I find it just as likely that it's another one of Kojima's many fourth wall breaking tricks in that game. Who knows, maybe both. 

It's a bit of both, he lifted it from an RPG he bought which he threw the packaging of in the trash when he got home, and wound up digging through his bin at 2 in the morning to find some vital piece of information that was on the box.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Spacehost said:

It's a bit of both, he lifted it from an RPG he bought which he threw the packaging of in the trash when he got home, and wound up digging through his bin at 2 in the morning to find some vital piece of information that was on the box.

There's something comforting about Kojima being one of those annoying people who have all their game discs in a big wallet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 was kinda dissapointing at the time but it's far from shit. It's just full of amazing moments. In fact It's the one I want to replay the most now probably.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sane said:

4 was kinda dissapointing at the time but it's far from shit. It's just full of amazing moments. In fact It's the one I want to replay the most now probably.

4 is part of this early-next-gen wave of games where they evidently had a rough time in development. You can tell they wanted do a lot more with the later chapters but didn't quite have the opportunity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 is probably the game I want to play most of anything at the moment.

 

I never owned a PS3. I tried to get PS Now working a couple of months back, and couldn't get past the opening cutscene before the connection was fucked. And then it left streaming services anyway.

 

Please, Konami, Sony, anyone. Put the thing out again. I'll accept the laziest of lazy ports. Do no additional work. Just make it run on the PS5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My vague memory of MGS4, a game I only played once, was that chapter 1 was absolutely massive, chapter 2 was about half the length, and chapters 3 - 5 were a glorified boss rush with very little proper gameplay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s a really strange take. Chapter 1 is only the war zone - there is so much going on in the other chapters!

 

The attempt to get the Big Boss Extreme emblem (or whatever the equivalent was, I think it was actually ‘The Boss’ in this one) and unlocking all the iPod music elevated this one for me, probably second only to Snake Eater.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My main memory of 4 is that I was on my 3rd or 4th attempt to quit smoking when the game came out. I think I was around two weeks since I'd smoked my last cigarette.

 

Those loading screens.

 

I just sat there looking at old Snake smoke cigarette after cigarette. IIRC it was between level 3 and 4 that I said "fuck it" and popped out to buy a pack of cigarettes :( Damn you, Kojima :(

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

My main memory of 4 is that I was on my 3rd or 4th attempt to quit smoking when the game came out. I think I was around two weeks since I'd smoked my last cigarette.

 

Those loading screens.

 

I just sat there looking at old Snake smoke cigarette after cigarette. IIRC it was between level 3 and 4 that I said "fuck it" and popped out to buy a pack of cigarettes :( Damn you, Kojima :(

 

Did you manage to quit smoking in the end?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, sandman said:

Did you manage to quit smoking in the end?

Yes, about 3 to 4 attempts later and I haven't touched a cigarette in 12/13 years. Disgusting habit, glad to be rid of it.

 

Downside is that I'm now very paranoid about laser tripwires.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.