GTA4 in 2022. Wow.

Uzi

22 hours ago, megamixer said:

Not to mention that GSG were behind the mobile ports which weren't all that. I played the PS3 port of SA (which was based on GSG's iOS version) and it was crappy - rubbish shooting controls, music that kept resetting every time you got in/out of a car, a weird "wet"/glossy look to the graphics/textures, and - the final nail in the coffin - a glitch with Flight School which locked the game up every time I selected a specific challenge/mission. Granted, I don't know if all or some of these issues were specific to the PS3 version or whether it was also 360 or the iOS ports they were based on, but it was bad.

I played the 360 version of San Andreas, and it had a lot of issues. Nothing that was individually game-breaking, but a lot of minor bugs and quirks that felt jarring and kept making me think: "it wasn't like this on the PS2, was it?"

I think I finally gave up on it when I reached the beach dancing minigame and my inputs didn't register properly.

Here's a thread from the time of release with people listing its problems:

https://gtaforums.com/topic/744100-san-andreas-xbox-360-list-of-issues/

I played through the definitive version of San Andreas thanks to Game Pass, and it left me with an odd impression. Its flaws come in two forms - issues with the port, and issues with the original game. Things like terrible rain, awkward looking characters, skipping music on the radio or bodged controls that mean if you're using an alternate setup, the jetpack doesn't work - those are all issues with the port, along with licensing problems meaning some of the music is missing altogether.

But even if fixed, the game still has a lot of hangovers from its original 2004 release that make it tougher to go back to. The world, expansive and glorious at the time, is sparse and empty even by the standards of 2008's GTA IV, never mind modern day. Combat is atrociously bad and no amount of modern twin-stick controls can fix a system where the AI merely point and shoot, where taking damage is often inevitable, and where few of the weapons are satisfying. Many missions are infuriating to go back to, small ordeals to be overcome in order to progress and open up more of the open world in which your own fun can still be made.

I think I'd prefer if any future re-release of the game was simply an emulated version of the PS2 game, retaining that glorious sun-baked atmosphere that no other port features. The work needed to bring the game up to modern standards requires breaking down everything and reworking it from scratch, and produces a different game as a result. A remake would be lovely, but in preserving the past, just get the old stuff running and I'll be happier than this sort of thing.

On 18/07/2022 at 01:05, Fry Crayola said:

A remake or remaster is a financially safer bet than creating new properties, even for Rockstar.

You say that, yet they've officially shelved Red Dead Online, citing needing the people to go work on GTA VI/6 instead.

The other rumour from the same source says they also dropped work on porting RDR 2. So along with not bothering to work on those other rumoured remakes, they've dropped literally anything not called GTA: O or GTA VI/6. They've gone full Activision now, and some people might say that you should never go full Activision, but with the expectation demands and need to raise the bar, Rockstar really have no practical choice but to put all available resources on the next installment of their flagship cashcow.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2022/07/11/red-dead-redemption-2-ps5-port-cancelled/

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

You say that, yet they've officially shelved Red Dead Online, citing needing the people to go work on GTA VI/6 instead

Well of course. That's not a new property. It's basically money printing.

Well apart from 2 tiny projects released around the same decade, Rockstar haven't created a non-sequel since they released Bully in 2006 so it's not as if they've changed creative course since they first shot to megastardom in the PS2-era. They've narrowed their focus over time to the point they might aswell just be a one product company, like Activision basically is.

But as the saying goes:

"Run your Winners and cut your Losers"

3 hours ago, mushashi said:

Well apart from 2 tiny projects released around the same decade, Rockstar haven't created a non-sequel since they released Bully in 2006 so it's not as if they've changed creative course since they first shot to megastardom in the PS2-era

Ah yes, I get now where you're coming from. When I said "financially safer bet ... even for Rockstar" I only meant because of their wealth, rather than how they operate.