GTA4 in 2022. Wow.

Uzi

I really ended up liking the weighty vehicle controls in GTA 4. Meant you had to be a bit more engaged when doing the standard GTA drive to a marker while someone talks to you.

Absolute banger DLCs as well. Would love to play a remaster of this. 

14 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

Online racing in GTA IV was the best thing ever.

I worked QA for GTA IV multiplayer, and to this day cannot control the cars in this game worth a fuck. After release, I would routinely come in last whenever I tried any multiplayer races.

One of my favourite things to do in GTAIV was to go to the helicopter tours business by the river, and try to sweep the employees far out to sea using the rotor blades of their choppers. It required precise control.

6 hours ago, MansizeRooster said:

I worked QA for GTA IV multiplayer, and to this day cannot control the cars in this game worth a fuck. After release, I would routinely come in last whenever I tried any multiplayer races.

The trick was to blow up your competitors with a cooked grenade, or by blocking their way with a bus. :D

58 minutes ago, Flanders said:

I really ended up liking the weighty vehicle controls in GTA 4. Meant you had to be a bit more engaged when doing the standard GTA drive to a marker while someone talks to you.

Absolute banger DLCs as well. Would love to play a remaster of this. 

Apparently they had such a shit reception to the classic GTA remasters (funny when you make crap you get crap) they dumped plans to make a GTA IV and RDR1 remaster 

I agree with the weighty controls, getting in a high speed chase is way more involved because you can't just smush the accelerator and hope it all works out 

I love GTAV but IV has always been the better game for me.

As has already been said, the envrionments and detail just feel so much better for some reason.

Also, I actually like the realistic vehicle damage. In V, cars have like a preset, increasingly visual damage whereas cars in IV suffer so much more unique, region-specific damage. You can absolutely trash cars in V, for example, and they still drive at stupid speeds. In IV, you'd better look after the suspension and steering controls.

I also like the cinematic, over-the-shoulder view when you get speed up.

Bad points about the driving that I personally don't like:

• the heavy feel of cars (especially the crap ones and trucks/vans etc.) and need to brake more realistically
  • How easy it is to fly through the windscreen
  • bikes can be absolute suicide to drive at high speed through the city.

Other things that I enjoy:

• the insane swingset glitch that can launch cars over the city (Youtube it! It's funny as fuck)
  • the bank robbery mission which MUST have been inspired by the movie Heat
  • Just cruising and taking in the city
  • the DLC packs are amazing (was hoping they'd add in San Fierro and Las Venturas into V as DLC islands but they were too busy rolling in the GTA Online cash...)

One last thing, somebody told me that certain music has met the same fate as the missing tracks from the Remasters and removed from GTAIV via patches? I don't know if this is true but they mentioned a piece of music in the opening of the game being missing now which completely ruins the tone. Might be wrong on this but, regardless, I hate how they can come into your game and patch stuff out now.

GTAIV has a beautiful city and great driving physics, but it’s definitely the start of the slide into endless cutscenes. Modern GTA games have plots that are just so long for the amount of story in them, which means even the interesting, well written cutscenes (which are few and far between) are just lost in an endless swamp of boring ones where nothing of note happens. That and the subpar shooting are my only negative memories of it though. 

5 hours ago, Fletch said:

I liked how you could pick up rubbish off the streets and lob it at passers by occasionally starting big brawls. No idea why they removed that for V. 

This feature was spectacular, I can’t believe they removed it. 

4 hours ago, keptbybees said:

It's telling that generally all the positive things people have to say about the game are to do with the visuals and the details and nothing about the actual gameplay.

That's certainly how the game felt to me, it looked wonderful and was great to explore but it controlled like crap and it felt like a chore to play. I'd definitely be interested in going back to see it fully tarted up in a sandbox mode but I have no desire to actually play the game again properly.

I’d say exploring the city and taking in the atmosphere and the details counts as gameplay. The story missions are not the best bit of the game, but just messing about in an open world game can surely be considered gameplay - that’s part of the appeal of an open-world game. 

Rockstar were in the process of remastering IV as well as RDR but moved all hands to work on GTA6 instead. A shame for sure. Gay Tony is also still fantastic and surely the only time you'll hear Hue and Cry in a video game.

22 hours ago, keptbybees said:

It's telling that generally all the positive things people have to say about the game are to do with the visuals and the details and nothing about the actual gameplay.

That's certainly how the game felt to me, it looked wonderful and was great to explore but it controlled like crap and it felt like a chore to play. I'd definitely be interested in going back to see it fully tarted up in a sandbox mode but I have no desire to actually play the game again properly.

Whilst missions were often a bit flat, it leant perfectly into making your own fun.

Vehicle handling was great, I would spend ages doing stunts on the bikes along bits of interesting wall I found down by the airport. I used to wander round terrorising pedestrians until they ran into traffic, that never got old. The fist fighting was good - I can remember someone belting Nico once, he stumbled into one of those supermarket stacking case thingummys and went rolling down the hill, that kind of thing was magic. Fighting cops was always great…basically if you play the game as a sociopath simulator it’s spot on.

Bang on. So much of the game's appeal was as a true sandbox - the missions were disappointingly constrained compared to the nonsense on offer outside of them.

The missions annoyed a friend of mine so much he got more fun in The Lost and Damned by spawning in a helicopter for everything. Not the kind of chopper that motorcycle gang were expecting, but remarkably efficient.

Remembered something else that I didn't like about IV. Only a small thing but...

...a bug (at least in the PS3 version) where Jacob doesn't fire the rocket launcher in the final mission when you're chasing another helicopter. For ages, I thought I was doing something wrong until I looked it up and had to keep resetting the game until the bug didn't happen.

One of the most baffling omissions from GTA V’s multiplayer were the brilliant Mafiya Work game modes that IV had. Those really utilized the the potential of the open world and offered basically endless variation. At the start of each new objective the placement of the (sometimes moving) macguffin happened as central as possible in relation to the current location of each player/team. You really got to know the city and no two games were ever alike because encounters and situations constantly arose organically over the whole map. You could choose to chase every objective or let some slide in favor of getting better weapons and vehicles first. Fantastic street fights and chaotic scrapes between teams were guaranteed in every game. V never offered anything that came close to it. 

Flying the helicopters in this game is an absolute nightmare, which I suppose is meant to mirror the real thing, but it certainly wasn't fun, much like the driving ;)

It's an impressive technical achievement but GTA V sanded off the rough edges and is more fun to actually play.

On 13/07/2022 at 20:39, dave7g said:

Rockstar were in the process of remastering IV as well as RDR but moved all hands to work on GTA6 instead. A shame for sure. Gay Tony is also still fantastic and surely the only time you'll hear Hue and Cry in a video game.

Probably not a great shame, as they likely cancelled because they hadn’t been planning to give those remasters any more effort than the GTA Trilogy. 

An RDR1 remaster would be relatively easy to do, as the entire map and most of the character models are in RDR2. There’d still be a lot of work, but I’m surprised they ditched the idea. 

I would not mind it at all if Rockstar didn't do any more remasters.

They couldn't be bothered to do the Remastered Trilogy themselves and outsourced it to Grove Street Games, probably gave them a stupidly small turnaround window which would inevitably result in a compromised product, then acted shocked that so many people were angry. These are landmark, generation-defining, iconic games - you can't treat them that way with a lazy outsource job.

Some people at work were getting hyped months in advance and laying out pre-orders. I told them to be careful because it was so suspicious that no gameplay footage was being shown, as if R* knew it was going to be poor and tried to hide it right up until the end, when it was too late and they'd already made bank on presales.

Not to mention that GSG were behind the mobile ports which weren't all that. I played the PS3 port of SA (which was based on GSG's iOS version) and it was crappy - rubbish shooting controls, music that kept resetting every time you got in/out of a car, a weird "wet"/glossy look to the graphics/textures, and - the final nail in the coffin - a glitch with Flight School which locked the game up every time I selected a specific challenge/mission. Granted, I don't know if all or some of these issues were specific to the PS3 version or whether it was also 360 or the iOS ports they were based on, but it was bad.

So no, I'd rather they not "remaster" any more games and fuck them up. I cannot support the rush-a-hype-game-out-and-patch-all-the-grot-later model as it just incentivises publishers to keep doing it. Nobody should pay for shit, and nobody should get paid for shit.

They did GTA V themselves, 3 times in a row now. So if they felt it was worth the effort, they could do a more than acceptable port inhouse.

They are getting Remedy to remake the first 2 Max Payne games, instead of finding somebody less skilled to do it.

But they clearly don't think any of their other games are worth their personal attention compared to working on something else, so it gets put out to a contractor who they have a long working relationship with who just ported their inferior existing mobile ports again. But as all the best port houses have been married off, you're left with the also-ran developers who don't have the talent to do them real justice.

On 13/07/2022 at 13:42, Doctor Shark said:

I like GTAIV, V and RDR2. Where does that place me? 

As the new Tory Minister for Culture?

47 minutes ago, mushashi said:

But as all the best port houses have been married off, you're left with the also-ran developers who don't have the talent to do them real justice

I'd wager the poor quality of the GTA Trilogy was down to money and time, rather than talent. Produced on the cheap, using an existing and already inferior version as a base, and released with a host of glaring issues. 

I don't think anyone at Grove Street Games was thinking "this is the best we could do" without the heavily added caveat of "under the circumstances".

I played a bit of GTA IV today and it was ace, grabbed a helicopter and was flying under bridges like a pro in no time. I even thought I’d see if online was working and I found a server with 3 others and we spent a good half hour driving about doing jumps, not a single bullet was fired. 

On 13/07/2022 at 20:27, 5R7 said:

when i read the title, i was expecting this video...yaknow, showing how fucking awesome it can look with some mods! 🤣

I always see videos like this and then investigate and it turns out it’s a hundred mods running on a three grand PC. I wish Rockstar would just do it themselves.

5 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

I'd wager the poor quality of the GTA Trilogy was down to money and time, rather than talent. Produced on the cheap, using an existing and already inferior version as a base, and released with a host of glaring issues. 

I don't think anyone at Grove Street Games was thinking "this is the best we could do" without the heavily added caveat of "under the circumstances".

I've never played a single one of their ports, I only know of their reputation and the fact Rockstar keep on getting them to do their mobile phone ports.

Originally the rumour was that the Trilogy remaster was being led by Ruffian Games who had recently been bought by Rockstar, the War Drum/GSG connection didn't become known until it was released.

They are currently doing another port attempt of ARK: Survival Evolved for the Nintendo Switch so we'll see if more time and money will allow them to show just how talented they really are as that is a proper engineering challenge and should more suit their historical skillset. It'll probably be based on the work they did for their mobile phone versions of that game though, instead of how the original port attempted to cram the PC original onto mobile-class hardware.

Regarding the rumour that Rockstar stopped work on some internally developed remasters. Thinking about it, why would anybody really want talented developers to spend time doing port work apart from as effectively paid training while learning new hardware?, when the alternative is to spend that time and effort on developing their next original title instead. They got the paid training by recently porting GTA V/Online so no need to do anymore now.

A remake or remaster is a financially safer bet than creating new properties, even for Rockstar.

It feels like we're getting more of them than ever before - The Last of Us, Dark Souls, Resident Evil 2-4, Crash, Spyro, Final Fantasy, to name a few. I dunno if that's just my perception or there's a genuine increase as companies look to cash in on fan favourites without the associated risk a sequel brings.