IGNORED

GTA4 in 2022. Wow.

Uzi

I played a fair amount of it for the first time on the Steam Deck - up to and including Three Leaf Clover, and most of the McReary family missions. DXVK does absolute wonders in terms of making the PC version a decent experience, and I fully recommend it.

I enjoy the story, but it has the harsher hallmarks of classic GTA strapped to it - losing all your shit if you get arrested and a lack of checkpoints means you're pretty much stuck with reloading missions from the start, and that's something that's greatly alleviated with what came after that.

It's definitely one of the better environments in a GTA, though - makes sense as it's a do-over of GTA3, but the atmosphere makes it feel properly lived-in and grimy.

42 minutes ago, Uzi said:

(not sure how it runs on series x) 

720p 60fps. Apparently it makes the button mashing at the very end almost impossible, however, so maybe just watch that on youtube.

I ditched this game half way through (and the entire series along with it) when it broke and stopped giving me any new missions to do.

I’ve never missed GTA to be honest. Surprising as I was one of the biggest fans of 3 and Vice City.

4 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I ditched this game half way through (and the entire series along with it) when it broke and stopped giving me any new missions to do.

I’ve never missed GTA to be honest. Surprising as I was one of the biggest fans of 3 and Vice City.

Well there's only been one game since so it's not like you've missed a glut of new releases.

I have a theory that the people who really like GTAIV also really like RDR2 and the people who hate the direction GTAIV went in also really dislike RDR2. I'm in the former category.

The shrunken New York of GTA4 was a breathtaking achievement at the time. I can remember coming back from a holiday there and then playing this, and the little restaurant off Battery Park we used to go in was in there, it was amazing detail.

What they got wrong on the flip side was too much ‘realism’…you couldn’t land a chopper on the trains anymore, and that was unforgivable. 

I remember getting the game a week early and everyone on my friends list messaging me in envy. 

Told them it's ok. Tried playing it again when the update for series X came out and its aged horribly and my least favourite GTA game now. 

41 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I liked how you could pick up rubbish off the streets and lob it at passers by occasionally starting big brawls. No idea why they removed that for V. 

I like how 14 years later I’m only now learning this was something you could do. The game keeps on giving! 

I really like GTAIV, and think it's over-hated (or at least under-appreciated). The city looks very sparse after playing GTA V, but the NY atmosphere is absolutely spellbinding, particularly given the very carefully selected soundtrack. It feels like a portrayal of the city that's been made the eye of a local, rather than a tourist so it feels quite authentic despite being largely developed in Edinburgh and being set in a fantasy sledgehammer satire version of New York.

It's still got some of the best rain ever seen in a game, and undoubtedly the most realistic drunkenness effect ever used in any medium.

BTW, you apparently can't complete one level with FPS boost on, but you can switch off FPS boost.

GTAIV reminds of when a game studio takes a first stab at a new style of game or generation and they really push out there. I prefer V overall, but they pulled out some of the stops in IV.

For example, Ubisoft shook things up for A Creed when Origins came out. Took a year off and changed the template. It had lots of little details such as if you killed a guard in a camp, another soldier would come and carry that body out into the desert so it wouldn't decompose in the camp. This happens if you watch the AI.

Does this happen two games later in the "refined" third game in the series Valhalla (made by the same studio as Origins)? Nope. I think what game studios do is they'll look at a previous game they went all in on and found, eh no one really cared about this, is it worth the effort? Let's put that effort into something for the online or most cosmetic shit for the store? 

19 minutes ago, K said:

BTW, you apparently can't complete one level with FPS boost on, but you can switch off FPS boost.

It's just an unlocked framerate that performs better on more powerful consoles, rather than FPS boost. I don't think you can turn it off.

It's telling that generally all the positive things people have to say about the game are to do with the visuals and the details and nothing about the actual gameplay.

That's certainly how the game felt to me, it looked wonderful and was great to explore but it controlled like crap and it felt like a chore to play. I'd definitely be interested in going back to see it fully tarted up in a sandbox mode but I have no desire to actually play the game again properly.

Niko was a great character. A real curveball at the time as I remember it. The radio selection was probably my favourite of all the GTAs. Also, I got the lock box in the fancy edition, which I now use to hide my weed from my children, so I think very fondly of it. Not nearly enough to actually play it again though. 

Taking a long taxi ride at nighttime in first-person view across the grimily authentic environs of Liberty City, while the serenely pensive refrains of The Journey drifted out of the radio was one of the most seminally atmospheric experiences I’ve ever had in a game. Leaving the stained brownstones and cracked asphalt of Broker, across the towering Algonquin Bridge into the crass glitz of the borough itself as you craned your neck upwards to peek the heights of glass and steel. It was incredibly evocative and Rockstar can do it like no one else. It raised the bar absurdly high for so many aspects of open worlds at its release and captured the essence of the outer boroughs of New York City for anyone who’s ever been there themselves in remarkable fashion. 

Haven’t played it in years, so have no idea how well it’s held up in gameplay terms (probably not that great considering it was deeply flawed in that regard even at release) but my memories of its gritty approach and unexpected take on a grim immigrant experience in the ultimate melting pot are still so strong. You can pick apart lots of aspects of its mission design and stodgy controls but it was a landmark game and in many ways was Rockstar at its most daring.

38 minutes ago, keptbybees said:

It's telling that generally all the positive things people have to say about the game are to do with the visuals and the details and nothing about the actual gameplay

I found it to be one of the most consistently enjoyable games to play with friends, passing the controller around, getting into mayhem and seeing the outcome. For that alone it was a wonderful game - that I hugely enjoyed the single player was an added bonus on top.