Old games you bought based on the box etc.

Goemon

5 minutes ago, strider said:

This was the very first game I bought. I thought it was going to be an amazing cartoon-like experience where you cast spells and did really cool, wizard-like things.

I was wrong.

APPcover_front.jpg.d36e4900644d43e02d3d16fd942d637d.jpg

Thought this was Simon the Sorcerer on first glance

9 minutes ago, strider said:

This was the very first game I bought. I thought it was going to be an amazing cartoon-like experience where you cast spells and did really cool, wizard-like things.

I was wrong.

APPcover_front.jpg.d36e4900644d43e02d3d16fd942d637d.jpg

Fond memories of it nonetheless. It was one of the first games I bought after getting the machine, in other words my first games that weren't the likes of Oh Mummy, and fucking Animal, Vegetable, Mineral. Awful version of Greensleeves played throughout, if I recall correctly.

Other games in that post Xmas 1986 trip to the shop were:

488009-back-to-reality-amstrad-cpc-front-cover.thumb.jpg.ff288ad869bc985d3854d54d614db9ff.jpg

585px-Zub_Front.thumb.jpg.43dd52fd204a2781e86c4b60cc1e386b.jpg

Both of which fit the thread criteria, having been chosen purely on the basis of their stolen Star Wars imagery. Quite clever really.

Fortunately Zub lived up to the expectation, if not the imagery.

Those are amazing. And given how the 8-bit scene worked, you just know they were submitted by some teenager who had traced them out of their Star Wars annual, and probably got a cheque big enough to buy a decent car that they weren't old enough to drive yet. 

Surely I’m not the only one who bought this based on the cover, the screenshots on the back, and the fact that Castle of Illusion was amazing?!

After that I always waited for magazine reviews!

(I even re-bought it a few years back because, despite being shit, it’s still an important part of my childhood!)

A7EC9EBD-DF70-4A6F-8084-51D14D5E50F1.jpeg

On 05/07/2022 at 11:57, Stoppy2000 said:

I also bought this on the c64 - I presume the original box art wasn't used for the budget release as it had caused some minor controversy? 

*Edit* actually looks like this was the full price box art as well but the 'controversial' images were just adverts in magazines?

BarbarianII-TheDungeonOfDrax(Kixx).jpg

I had the big box version on C64. It definitely had Maria Whittaker in a metal bikini on the cover along with Wolf (and a poster of the same).

I bought it on the strength of the reviews though - not based on the box. And it was rubbish - really horrible to play.

18 hours ago, PikaStu said:

Surely I’m not the only one who bought this based on the cover, the screenshots on the back, and the fact that Castle of Illusion was amazing?!

After that I always waited for magazine reviews!

(I even re-bought it a few years back because, despite being shit, it’s still an important part of my childhood!)

A7EC9EBD-DF70-4A6F-8084-51D14D5E50F1.jpeg

Castle of Illusion was amazing, so my friend and I had super high expectations for this. My plan was to have it by the time he got back from his holiday so I could bust it out when he came round with a casual  ‘oh BTW, I got the new Mickey Mouse game while you were away’ /smug grin.

I rang around the import shops daily but never got success with anywhere having it in stock. Then I caught wind of the reviews…

Bullet dodged!

4 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

I had the big box version on C64. It definitely had Maria Whittaker in a metal bikini on the cover along with Wolf (and a poster of the same).

I bought it on the strength of the reviews though - not based on the box. And it was rubbish - really horrible to play.

I didn't think it was that bad - just really hard. The controls weren't great either. 

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I didn't think it was that bad - just really hard. The controls weren't great either. 

It was one of those map-type games without a map - you had to learn exactly where to go. I thought the fighting was rubbish because it was mostly a matter of luck. 

I much preferred the first game.

34 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

It was one of those map-type games without a map - you had to learn exactly where to go. I thought the fighting was rubbish because it was mostly a matter of luck. 

I much preferred the first game.

I seem to remember it had awful jumping sections as well? Or insta-death pits?

6 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I seem to remember it had awful jumping sections as well? Or insta-death pits?

I’ve just watched a video. It had pits everywhere that you had to perfectly time jumps other. If you got stuck between a pit and a monster, you could sort of get stun-locked and couldn’t avoid death.

I wanted to like the game - we even played it a lot - but it was just so frustrating! It was one of those games that made you want to smash the joystick up.