Arcade-style racing games

Is there really no hope of there ever being a modern update? The consoles we have now are finally capable of doing justice to the original arcade machine. Sega do love to go for the easy money…

edit - regarding Outrun 2006

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

Sega do love to go for the easy money…

edit - regarding Outrun 2006

OutRun 2 2006 didn't really make them money (source: a games industry QA chum from the late 90s and the assistant producer at Sega Europe at the time). He asked me what IP I thought they should bring back for the PS3/360 era and I suggested Sega Rally, Outrun 2, Daytona USA and AfterBurner Climax. Obviously I can't take credit for any of that - clearly there were a lot of internal Sega employees pushing for that at that time. None of those projects were particularly successful, either.

PS. Sonic makes the easy money.

49 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

OutRun 2 2006 didn't really make them money (source: a games industry QA chum from the late 90s and the assistant producer at Sega Europe at the time). He asked me what IP I thought they should bring back for the PS3/360 era and I suggested Sega Rally, Outrun 2, Daytona USA and AfterBurner Climax. Obviously I can't take credit for any of that - clearly there were a lot of internal Sega employees pushing for that at that time. None of those projects were particularly successful, either.

PS. Sonic makes the easy money.

Man, come to think of it, Sega hasn’t really bothered with any racing games other than Sonic for the most part. They do do things re-release OutRun on Switch, but that’s about it.

oDrL1xk.png

9 hours ago, Popo said:

Ohhh, I’ve just rediscovered Initial D Street Stage, the PSP version of (in my opinion) Sega’s last great arcade racer series. What a treat! I haven’t played it since my house was burgled and my PSP stolen. The handling is very Sega Rally, and all the tracks are Japanese mountain roads. 

I think there’s a PS2 game and PS3 game as well, although the latter will be hard to emulate I think. 

The arcade games emulate very well with Teknoparrot, including force feedback.

• 4 weeks later...

So I’ve been playing Sega Rally 2 again. Boy, I think I had this game wrong. In the Dreamcast, Sega had a new controller with analogue shoulder buttons and Sega Rally 2 makes great use of them by making acceleration a more important factor in successfully navigating the courses. Too much at the wrong time and you’ll go sideways - so you need to carefully find the right level of pressure for each corner. Even easy corners that tighten or narrow at the end need less than full power to pull off. 

I don’t think I understood this back at the time of the Dreamcast’s launch. All I saw was a game that had slightly different handling to my beloved Sega Rally on Saturn and gave up on it more or less right away. 

I’ve also checked out Daytona USA 2001, and despite the HD game on 360 being the definitive edition there’s still a lot to like here, including the jazzier Model 3-style visuals and extra courses. 

nothing has hit right quite like sega rally and daytona usa 2 for me and it sucks that neither of these have perfect home ports. i would've thought that sega rally was popular enough for a modern version that brings together the arcade and saturn titles and how have we never have any kind of home version of daytona 2?

Some of the 80's ones are pretty good. Victory Heat Rally should be cool.

Neodori forever looks nice.

Even Flatout 4 is pretty good. Not bugbear good. But not the disaster 3 was.

Luckily we still have Bugbear

Oh and Hotshot racing buy i guess everyones played that.

1 hour ago, SMD said:

nothing has hit right quite like sega rally and daytona usa 2 for me and it sucks that neither of these have perfect home ports. i would've thought that sega rally was popular enough for a modern version that brings together the arcade and saturn titles and how have we never have any kind of home version of daytona 2?

I tracked down a PS2 release of Sega Rally, which smartens up the visuals and increases the frame rate - but only has arcade mode, and is shorn of the additional modes of the Saturn version (also sound emulation is highly dubious, so not the best way to play it).  Hard to say there's a definitive home release, but then I was raised by the Saturn version and only played the arcade original later, so it's perfect for me.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I tracked down a PS2 release of Sega Rally, which smartens up the visuals and increases the frame rate - but only has arcade mode, and is shorn of the additional modes of the Saturn version (also sound emulation is highly dubious, so not the best way to play it).  Hard to say there's a definitive home release, but then I was raised by the Saturn version and only played the arcade original later, so it's perfect for me.

OK, so I forgot about this, but there's a topic in the retro folder all about Sega Rally:

And reading through it again - especially @dumpster's detailed analyses - I think there are a couple of things going on with the PS2 version of Sega Rally, which is an M2 port of the arcade game, when emulating on Deck which might have thrown me a bit:

• The Saturn version has enhanced audio, with re-recorded tracks and voices - this might have been contributing to my feeling that audio emulation was 'bad'
  • You have to run it in software rendering mode, otherwise it's just black and white - this puts a bit of a strain on the CPU, and means the game does slow down at times, causing warping of the audio
  • There's a hidden config menu* (accessed by pressing select rather than start at the title screen) which lets you modify some settings, including audio - by default the sound effects are way louder than the music, and the car engines sound highly distorted this way - I do think this is a problem caused by emulation and the original game is not like this, but by changing the balance by turning down sound effects and turning up the music (and why would you not want to do that anyway?) it massively mitigates the problem
  • You can also increase the resolution, which makes it a better fit for the Deck screen, and reduces the stretching somewhat

So taken in the round, this actually emulated on Deck pretty well, and it's a great game - you can also make the game easier, and increase the number of laps through the menu which is a welcome addition, and makes it more akin to the Saturn version, albeit there's no multiplayer and no Stratos.

Does that mean it's the definitive version?  Well, no - the Saturn version is still more feature and content-rich (comparatively speaking - settle down over there!), but this runs in widescreen at 60fps, at a higher resolution with more detailed models and vastly lower load times - not to mention the increased draw distance, which is a godsend.

Of you are emulating Dreamcast Sega Rally 2, don't forget there's a hidden 60fps mode in there.  I'm at work but google it.  

Also the genuine hidden menu in PS2 Sega Rally 95 that enables progressive scan etc.

22 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Also the genuine hidden menu in PS2 Sega Rally 95 that enables progressive scan etc.

A quick Google suggests pressing and holding X and triangle, which I gave a try without success (and then the game loaded, so of course I played it again). 

I had no idea about the 60fps mode on SR2! It strips away all the crowd detail, very clever. 

Edit: here’s the Sega Rally PS2 progressive scan trick:

https://bordersdown.net/threads/78150-Progressive-Scan-Enabled-PS2-games-List

It applies to a number of PS2 games, so it’s a system level thing - you hold X and triangle as the game boots (not after it has booted, as I did).

2 hours ago, Popo said:

So taken in the round, this actually emulated on Deck pretty well, and it's a great game - you can also make the game easier, and increase the number of laps through the menu which is a welcome addition, and makes it more akin to the Saturn version, albeit there's no multiplayer and no Stratos.

The Stratos is in the PS2 version - you have to beat the game on Normal or Hard difficulty. Good luck!

Re: progressive scan; I’m not convinced I can tell the difference, other than it seems to add to the pressure on Deck performance and drive the frame rate down slightly. 

After being initially sceptical, the PS2 version really is excellent. The draw distance! You can see the other side of the big hairpin on Mountain stage while you’re bombing down the road on the approach, which is hugely disorienting and liberating after decades of abuse at the hands of the Saturn version. 

13 minutes ago, dumpster said:

@Popo the progressive scan mode adds new resolutions to the other menu, the one where you press select on the 95 screen.

Really? I can still only see the standard A, B or C resolutions, with C being 512x448, which is available in interlace mode. 

I must be doing something wrong. It asks if you want to switch to progressive scan, then asks again if you want to play (basically a check to make sure your TV is compatible and you can still see the game). I’m not sure what room for error there is

5 hours ago, SMD said:

fuck i need to figure out how to get emulators to work on my series x

Pop into the retro folder.  Do it soon as I feel Microsoft could stop the retail mode downloads if they chose to, but the Gamr13 app is done so get it while you can.

38 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Pop into the retro folder.  Do it soon as I feel Microsoft could stop the retail mode downloads if they chose to, but the Gamr13 app is done gso get it while you can.

What's gso, sorry?

Progressive Mode on Sega Rally: Just been fiddling with emulation options to try and get it to work...

turn off 'fast boot' and then do X + Triangle and it will work (on PCSX2-QT)

The OP in the Xbox emulation thread has a link to Gamr13's website. But these days he just has 1 app to download.  It saves him reuploading each app when MSodt remove them.  So download the app while you can and use it to get all the emulation goodness.