IGNORED

This Is The Police (PS4) - Anybody else played it?

megamixer

spacer.png

Anybody else played it? Not a game I would have normally bought (judging by the crap cover) but I got it dirt cheap for around a fiver sealed ages ago. Started playing it today and it's sort of so shit, it's awesome.

It's kind of like a police management game with dispatching units to deal with crimes but so much other stuff goes on such as having to play detective to solve crimes, deal with requests from city hall, work with mafia bribery etc. Cop units all have various ratings and can get killed on duty or try and blag sick days off etc.

The main story seems like it's trying to be some sort of gritty noir thing except it's a bit too brightly-coloured to succeed.

But why I'm loving it is because it can be so random and bizarre. One crime I had to dispatch units for was a shooter escaping in a van. After a while, the units reported in for instructions and you get these multiple choice things which can be fucking WEIRD. I elected to have the van's tyres shot out during the pursuit and it crashed into a sex shop lol. The gunman then takes a shopworker hostage and one of the multiple choices is to throw a sex doll at them, which I OBVIOUSLY chose as the correct source of action...and it was the right answer!

The next weird thing was a timed request from City Hall. Apparently a racist gang is causing havoc in the city and civilians are starting to side with them. City Hall's answer was to request that I fire all of the black police officers from the force by a certain date to appease to city!!! I elected to ignore this request, thinking it would be correct to take a moral stance, but - when the time elapsed - City Hall stated that they were disappointed and that I would be less likely to have my requests to them granted going forward...

And the most recent one was having to do a pyschological exam which involved looking at a bunch of abstract images and selecting what I thought I could see. One particular set of options was this:

A. A woman decorating a christmas tree

B. A dancing girl

C. A blue alien raping a pig

I shit you not.

Please tell me that somebody else has played This is the Police and can understand the madness that I have embarked on. I can't tell whether it's a shit game or is actually meant to be this entertaining. Nevertheless, I am frequently laughing out loud at this game - not something that happens very often these days so it must be doing something right.

I played about half of it when it was on Origin (on PC). It reminded me a bit of the Hill Street Blues game on the Amiga. 

It was interesting, but if I remember it is really easy to hit a fail state where you don't have enough police to deal with stuff, which sends you into a spiral. Never finished it before it left the Origin service - and certainly don't recall seeing that psych test bit :huh:

This is on one of the tiers of PS Plus now I think plus other platforms. I enjoyed what I played of it and my son really liked it but like Disco Elysium I spent a lot of my time with the game thinking "some people are going to be a lot more passionately into this than I am".

I'd like to know if the multiple choices you can make (such as the press conference at the game's outset) actually make any difference. The only one I can see that should make a difference is the choice to become a mafia snitch or not.

Also find that its easy to get your officers killed by seemingly low level crimes, even if you send in reasonably highly rated units.

And I have noticed there is a sequel to the game as well.

I'd give the Met DLC a miss. I downloaded it and my PS4 started sending me racist, homophobic and misogynistic notifications before putting itself into a special measures mode ☹️

8 hours ago, megamixer said:

I'd like to know if the multiple choices you can make (such as the press conference at the game's outset) actually make any difference. The only one I can see that should make a difference is the choice to become a mafia snitch or not.

Also find that its easy to get your officers killed by seemingly low level crimes, even if you send in reasonably highly rated units.

And I have noticed there is a sequel to the game as well.

Yeah, having officers killed on a routine low-level crime is one of the ways the game messes with you. I tried playing it following a guide because of the randomness, but even using that there is still an element of RNG in the end of the day scenes - i.e. you might get all of your officers wanting time out, leaving you understaffed for the next shift, contributing to that spiral.

It was an interesting premise, though I believe the sequel wasn't meant to be as good (might've been a case of trying to add to much, I don't recall.)

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I played the sequel on ps4. It’s fine but it certainly doesn’t bring anything new to the gameplay formula, it’s probably a bit lesser actually. I think the draw is meant to be the continuing/quality of story but that didn’t do much for me. I’d definitely give the original a go and if you love it the sequels a DLC

I quite enjoyed the first one, pretty well written noir shenanigans and quite a novel way of telling the tale.

Not amazing enough I've tried the second yet but good to at least have a go of on the free.