IGNORED

NVIDIA 40 series cards - this winter

Uzi

21 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Are you concerned?

I always know I’ve hit a nerve when people would rather attack the poster than just refute the content of the post.  As you were boys.  Power to the extreme and all that. 

20 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I always know I’ve hit a nerve when people would rather attack the poster than just refute the content of the post.  As you were boys.  Power to the extreme and all that. 

Yeah, because attacking a poster when you’re attacking everyone who has a gpu in theIr PC is such a wonderful thing to do? The grown up thing to do would have just been to apologise for typing a silly joke and leave it at that.

Alternatively, if you want to insult me about my frankly stupendously appalling financial sense at buying these cards, then that would have been a much better thing to do and I’d have agreed with you wholeheartedly.

As it stands, you made a spectacularly shit post and did indeed touch a nerve.

So, you win I guess. I’m sure you’re feeling like a million bucks right about now.

Fucking bravo sir.

Lololololol. 

Fucking genius over here thinks playing cyberpunk or factorio sometimes has the same environmental impact as mining/crypto 

🤣

On 24/06/2022 at 18:28, SMD said:

Looking forward to my regular "maybe this is when I'll finally buy a gaming PC" thought process. Only been my 7th year.

High fucking five. See you all in 3 years time for the 10 year anniversary where I still won't have a PC.

9 minutes ago, Danster said:

This article was on my news feed this morning

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/did-i-make-it-harder-to-sell-your-crappy-used-crypto-mining-graphics-card-good

Bad time to buy a secondhand card.

This will be of interest to @Loik V credern:

’One thing several cryptocomplainers have messaged me is to argue that crypto mining has been proven – proven! – to not damage a graphics card. 

Poppycock.’

48 minutes ago, mexos said:

High fucking five. See you all in 3 years time for the 10 year anniversary where I still won't have a PC.

I remember when I was waiting for RAM prices to drop cos they were £100 too high :lol:

The other potential headache to upgrade is PSU's, what do most pc powah users have in their system right now? I have a 750w gold which has never missed a beat. But will I need a 1000w monster upgrade to handle a 4080 or 4090? If so, that's another £130 at least. Wish I just went OTT  a few years ago and got a 1000w then!

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

Wish I just went OTT  a few years ago and got a 1000w then!

I did that with my new build a few years ago and it shit the bed and had to buy a 750W Gold.

Hmmm, I skipped the 30XX series because I'd bought a 2080ti not long before they came out, and my 2080ti had more VRAM than pretty much all the 30XX series cards, which I felt would be a limiting factor, and the performance bump was only noticable on the 3090.

However, the 4080 looks to be a good bump up now, and with more VRAM than my 2080ti. I think I will go for a higher PSU as well though, as I think mine is 650w. But I will have to see how my finances are when the time comes.

A good quality 1000w PSU is about £130 🤡

Will be interesting of this impacts the 40 series if it needs that much power given that I'm sure the majority of people have 850 or less.

6 hours ago, Uzi said:

will I need a 1000w monster upgrade to handle a 4080 or 4090? If so, that's another £130 at least. Wish I just went OTT  a few years ago and got a 1000w then!

In short, YES! get double the requirements.

5 hours ago, Wiper said:

650W Platinum here, which I refuse to go above — I regretted that I'd gone up that high in the first place.

Then you run the risk of your system shutting down on a high draw card. You need to double it.

The reason. "Transient power spikes" This is when the card draws almost double the power recs for a few miocroseconds. If your psu has the room, no problem, if it doesn't, it shuts off.

6 hours ago, Uzi said:

The other potential headache to upgrade is PSU's, what do most pc powah users have in their system right now? I have a 750w gold which has never missed a beat. But will I need a 1000w monster upgrade to handle a 4080 or 4090? If so, that's another £130 at least. Wish I just went OTT  a few years ago and got a 1000w then!

I'm good.

image.png.3b04ccbcdad5d1f5f07f2fa229c643a0.png

5 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

Then you run the risk of your system shutting down on a high draw card. You need to double it.

The reason. "Transient power spikes" This is when the card draws almost double the power recs for a few miocroseconds. If your psu has the room, no problem, if it doesn't, it shuts off.

Or I could — and just bear with me here — not buy a new graphics card. Having spent the past few months since my 2080Ti died running a PC with a graphics card that was either hilariously obsolete (a thirteen year old 5770) or more recently just meh (a 1660), I've been surprised at how little I missed the extra grunt; the vast majority of PC exclusives I play absolutely don't need it; Total War is basically the sole exception.

On 26/06/2022 at 07:28, rafaqat said:

Sure are quite a few posters in here getting a boner for a high wattage GPU that are in the bitcoin thread crying about crypto destroying the environment.  Still. I’m sure those extra frames will justify it. 

If your GPU is running at 100% utilisation 24/7 purely from gaming, you probably have more pressing problems in your life to worry about than climate change

40 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Or I could — and just bear with me here — not buy a new graphics card. Having spent the past few months since my 2080Ti died running a PC with a graphics card that was either hilariously obsolete (a thirteen year old 5770) or more recently just meh (a 1660), I've been surprised at how little I missed the extra grunt; the vast majority of PC exclusives I play absolutely don't need it; Total War is basically the sole exception.

55687586.gif.d71d5c784a2e844f7cac20a61a14eb0a.gif