Why haven't we seen --- Insert your great game idea here

Rayn

A game about a law enforcement agent trying to take down a cartel, while maintaining a family life.

Sneak and infiltrate to wire buildings, pull together the evidence, crack small time thugs in the family, then watch as the stakes escalate and the pressure exerted from your corrupt superiors require you to go rogue.

A game like Papers, Please, where you have to decide whether disabled people are fit for work, with stringent targets to meet.

A bit bleak maybe.

I had an idea a while ago, that I really like, but will do nothing with. I doubt it would work, especially with internet spoilers (maybe it's a film instead...). Something where the game is routine. You maybe go out to work, come back, and that's done entertaingly enough that you can think that's the game. But each time you go home, something's slightly out of place - a chair that's shifted a little, or something missing from the fridge. And somehow spotting THAT starts the actual game. Which is realising that there's someone (or something)  else living in your house, and having to work out how to prove that/ trap them. But then once you've done that, it could be that they/it has a good reason to be there, or something you can sympathise with, and then you need to help them, and THAT becomes the game. And so on...

Vaguest game design ever, but I think there's *something* there...

Always wanted to see a free-roaming Dirty Harry police game set in the 70's. Big American cars screeching around corners (and leaning heavily on their suspension), doing whatever's necessary to take down criminals, and fighting back against the sea of red tape drowning the city.

Also, a new Golden Axe game but done in a dark noir-style 2D with plenty of blood.

Klax but it’s an aldi checkout and you are the checkout person trying to piss off the person buying the stuff by overloading them with stuff that needs putting back in the fucking trolley

Almost any style of game based on some of the 200AD IP (that is actually good). There's so much within mega city / dredd, let alone rogue trooper, strontium dog, ABC warriors and it always disappoints me that there hasn't been a really good one.

Also some sort of reverse hitman type game where you're an undercover cop, finding clues and overhearing things in a similar way to hitman but also with a "clock work" type knock on effect to things and possibly even timed events (even though this rarely works well in most games imo). A bit like cruise for a corpse as well in that respect. 

4 hours ago, b00dles said:

Almost any style of game based on some of the 200AD IP (that is actually good). There's so much within mega city / dredd, let alone rogue trooper, strontium dog, ABC warriors and it always disappoints me that there hasn't been a really good one.

Yup - my thoughts precisely. I can only assume/hope that Rebellion costed it out and decided it would cost too much to do the things justice and have decided to shelve it for a while. God knows I wouldn't want some low budget shite coming along and scupper any future project!

But yeah - an open world Judge Dredd RPG would be amazing. I've penned my thoughts on this before, but I'd not want to play as Dredd. I want to start as a Rookie at the academy and then make my way up the ranks and do all the silly fun stuff that judges do. It would absolutely be the best thing ever. 

It's what I wanted Rock Steady to have worked on after Batman really, but there we go.

Aw. Now I'm sad because we're never going to see this.

On 25/06/2022 at 20:13, Azrael said:

Not a "Great game idea" but going to suggest something that's in very bad taste but without googling it i reckon there probably already are some along these lines out there. Basically a GTA style game where you play as a school shooter. So you have to source weapons, scout out the location and security etc then carry out the shooting and plan your escape/arrest/suicide. You could have different difficulty settings based on the country you select. So a US based level will have thousands of guns readily available to you but would run the risk of armed police or other school shooters, a level based in the UK might limit you to basic farm shotguns etc. No sane developer would ever make such a game (and rightfully so) but would probably sell well... 

I have to be honest, I’m really surprised you wrote these words down and hit submit.

There's a game I've wanted to make for a long time... although whether I actually want to play the result is a different matter. It just appeals to me technically.

The primary concept is that the player chooses where the game is set as anywhere in the world. Then they play the game in a generated representation of that location. You could start on your street and play in your town. Or from your favourite holiday spot. Or from some far flung place you've never been.

The game starts and asks you to pick a spot on the planet. It generates the local area based on OpenStreetMap data for the location. As you move around to new areas it keeps generating more world based on more OSM data. But where OSM says there's is a school there's a school (or a destroyed one). Where there's a supermarket there is one. Where there are houses they are too. And roads and paths match their layout as well. And so on.

If you pick a place you know then you're going to know how to get from A to B without the game needing to tell you. The game could make use of road names to set quests that tell you where to go based on road or real place names. You might just know where to go without ever thinking about it.

The map generator isn't aiming for realism but using it as a basis for layout and distribution of special buildings or resources. So the map could be futuristic. Or medieval. Or post apocalyptic. It depends on what the game really needs.

I'd imagine it as a top down or isometric game to keep the requirements of rendering low.

I've never really got as far as deciding what type of game it is. In fact the gameplay itself isn't really set at all. Mostly I think post apocalyptic. Gather resources (with the  help that you know where shops are for scavenging food or fuel stations to fill up your car). Avoid or take down hordes of zombies. Avoid or do tasks for gangs.

And if you went really crazy it's a single seamless world. You drop in where you want but other players do to. And slowly you meet them. Your friends all join and play in your town. Then others join and either join or compete with you.

23 hours ago, JamesC said:

I'm still waitig for my Star Trek action-RPG (in the vein of Mass Effect).

This is Star Trek Online.

7 hours ago, b00dles said:

Also some sort of reverse hitman type game where you're an undercover cop, finding clues and overhearing things in a similar way to hitman but also with a "clock work" type knock on effect to things and possibly even timed events (even though this rarely works well in most games imo). A bit like cruise for a corpse as well in that respect. 

The Ship

On 25/06/2022 at 20:13, Azrael said:

Not a "Great game idea" but going to suggest something that's in very bad taste but without googling it i reckon there probably already are some along these lines out there. Basically a GTA style game where you play as a school shooter. So you have to source weapons, scout out the location and security etc then carry out the shooting and plan your escape/arrest/suicide. You could have different difficulty settings based on the country you select. So a US based level will have thousands of guns readily available to you but would run the risk of armed police or other school shooters, a level based in the UK might limit you to basic farm shotguns etc. No sane developer would ever make such a game (and rightfully so) but would probably sell well... 

Super Columbine Massacre RPG.

Which went on to inspire another real life school shooting.

So yeah, "great idea".

16 minutes ago, JamesC said:

Get that MMORPG filth away from me!
I want a proper single-player, narrative-based campaign. 

I played 120 hours of it, entirely offline as a proper, single-player, narrative-based campaign.

For free.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

The Ship

I just had a quick Google and wiki says

The Ship is a first-person shooter video game developed by Outerlight using Valve's Source engine

So nothing like a reverse hitman where you're a cop solving a crime but thanks for trying. Especially given it's multiplayer. 

28 minutes ago, b00dles said:

I just had a quick Google and wiki says

The Ship is a first-person shooter video game developed by Outerlight using Valve's Source engine

So nothing like a reverse hitman where you're a cop solving a crime but thanks for trying. Especially given it's multiplayer. 

There's a single player mode where you have to find a serial killer.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

I played 120 hours of it, entirely offline as a proper, single-player, narrative-based campaign.

For free.

To be fair, I haven't tried it, so I probably should!

27 minutes ago, deKay said:

There's a single player mode where you have to find a serial killer.

It really doesn't look anything like hitman or the game I described at all aside from the cruise for a corpse bit as it's on a ship but I'll have a further look into it to double check as you're not really convincing me with your replies. 

I mean it seems a bit weird to suggest a game that's only vaguely similar to things people are saying they've been looking for for ages when it's clearly going to be a disappointment. Appreciate the gesture though. 

It looks more like among us but on a boat (but also with a single player mode apparently).

8 minutes ago, JamesC said:

To be fair, I haven't tried it, so I probably should!

I had the same concerns. Then 120 hours happened.

It is buggy and janky but it's pretty close to what you want.

Just now, b00dles said:

It really doesn't look anything like hitman or the game I described at all aside from the cruise for a corpse bit as it's on a ship but I'll have a further look into it to double check as you're not really convincing me with your replies. 

I mean it seems a bit weird to suggest a game that's only vaguely similar to things people are saying they've been looking for for ages when it's clearly going to be a disappointment. Appreciate the gesture though. 

It looks more like among us but on a boat (but also with a single player mode apparently).

Yeah, it is Among Us on a boat. It's not very close to Reverse Hitman, I'll admit.

Not played it, but does Disco Elysium fit?

7 minutes ago, deKay said:

Yeah, it is Among Us on a boat. It's not very close to Reverse Hitman, I'll admit.

Not played it, but does Disco Elysium fit?

Ah right, I'm thinking more like murder: soul suspect, or even LA Noire (but good) but in a particular "level" like hitman where there are different ways of coming to a conclusion. 

Disco elysium is great and more games should have writing like it but not quite the gameplay structure I think would work. 

Tbh I'd happily settle for ghost trick 2 and/ or another hotel dusk as I found those when I was looking for another similar title which has elements that would lend itself (I think). They aren't really what I mean either, just also good games that should have a sequel. 

I also think more games should have a yakuza style structure and smaller but dense game world. Lost judgment showed that you can have a very similar gameplay mechanic but not just for being a yakuza. 

It may be old hat now but had they have made some sort of guy Ritchie London gangster thing but with a kamurocho esque version of soho where there are more shops than just painted on door textures it could have done really well. Or even a mafia/ sopranos type thing in NY  (or wherever, really) but with a lot less emphasis on "the map is 4000 square miles!! (Of bugger all)" 

6 hours ago, Mystacon said:

I have to be honest, I’m really surprised you wrote these words down and hit submit.

Just my way if venting from being sick of the inaction relating to such incidents. When the US government cares so little about children being killed on a regular basis it doesn't seem as bad to trivialise such horrific things. It could be called Thoughts and Prayers Simulator. 

Why stop there though Edgelord Games Ltd could make a fortune with a series of similarly awful games; Theme Park but you're the Nazis and the Park is Auschwitz, A Harvest Moon type game but based on an 18th century plantation in the American South or a Papers Please style game where you guard a public toilet and have to ensure no trans people can get into the wrong toilet and do all the rapings. Controversy sells and any decent person that complains will just be branded a snowflake. 

3 hours ago, b00dles said:

It may be old hat now but had they have made some sort of guy Ritchie London gangster thing but with a kamurocho esque version of soho where there are more shops than just painted on door textures it could have done really well. Or even a mafia/ sopranos type thing in NY  (or wherever, really) but with a lot less emphasis on "the map is 4000 square miles!! (Of bugger all)" 

I think The Getaway games may have been the closest we'll get, even though they were more GTA than Yakuza (and not great either imo).

21 minutes ago, megamixer said:

I think The Getaway games may have been the closest we'll get, even though they were more GTA than Yakuza (and not great either imo).

Yeah that was what I was getting at, everyone tried to emulate gta but very few games have such a closed tight environment that you really get to know well and they have character. I remember being equally amazed back in the day with all the mention of how large maps were etc but I'd completely and utterly forego the undeniable fun of a car chase (way more relevant in gta's roots of course) for a city sim / open world that actually let me go into every building and interact with more stuff/ people in it.

Also the general structure of yakuza in it's rpg side of things is also not something done in the west in that way. Even witcher 3 'goes big' and a lot of the larger towns are just textured building blocks, not to mention the level of side games and activities you can do in the RGG games is unlike the majority of (if not all) city based or even crime based 3rd person open world games. 

29 minutes ago, b00dles said:

Yeah that was what I was getting at, everyone tried to emulate gta but very few games have such a closed tight environment that you really get to know well and they have character. I remember being equally amazed back in the day with all the mention of how large maps were etc but I'd completely and utterly forego the undeniable fun of a car chase (way more relevant in gta's roots of course) for a city sim / open world that actually let me go into every building and interact with more stuff/ people in it.

Also the general structure of yakuza in it's rpg side of things is also not something done in the west in that way. Even witcher 3 'goes big' and a lot of the larger towns are just textured building blocks, not to mention the level of side games and activities you can do in the RGG games is unlike the majority of (if not all) city based or even crime based 3rd person open world games. 

To be honest, I have really tired of monstrous maps that take hundreds of hours to fully explore. Yeah, you don't have to cover every square inch, but there's always that feeling of FOMO for not seeing everything. I gave up with Breath of the Wild for that reason - amazing game, but the scale overwhelmed me and, after taking a break, I couldn't be arsed to return to it.

Yakuza/RGG does - as you say - strike a nice balance between having loads to do and explore, but not being massive for the sake of it. You could probably discover more down a few random alleys in Kamurocho than you could across several miles of wilderness in a Western sandbox RPG.

You could also easily replicate the story intrigue almost beat for beat with any sort of other gangster group if you were really being lazy but the car jacking and chases always seem to be a requirement for any city open world game. In some of them like LA noire  the driving was almost pointless and in mafia you had the comical speed limit stuff (which I quite liked, admittedly) but if anything the added scale always makes it feel emptier. 

I will say though that I think BotW did it very well, as you didn't really have large cities that were actually all facades and that's the main thing that breaks the immersion for me in open world games set in cities. 

Although it would be very, very difficult to make the entirety of a 30 storey office building have much of interest on every floor, I almost would prefer that to the common option of lobby area with magic lift that only stops at the penthouse/ the floor the story happens on. 

(Which I'm not going to pretend isn't exactly what happens with the millennium tower but generally the RGG games are better at that sort of thing :) )