IGNORED

Blade Runner - Enhanced Edition

Thor

Aye, no need for me to refund this now, I can play the classic version and the classic version with originally cut content restored. Should be interesting. :)

Just finished my replay. I got the 

Spoiler

"Lucy is human and you ride off with her" ending ... I don't remember this ending, it's a bit creepy. 

anyone who bought this on steam will also now get the scummvm version as well - anyone who is console well were just out of luck (well sort off i was able to get the original and extended version with cut bits added running on scummvm via retroarch on my series x) 

Yeah, the version I finished was the ScummVM version with the restored content. 

I then went on to play quite a bit of the Enhanced edition, and I can see what the Devs were trying to do. I quite liked the scenes that were upped to a higher framerate, but if I'm not mistaken, wasn't there an issue where Nightdive couldn't access the source code? That surely hampered their efforts. 

This is the changelog for the first upcoming patch, posted by one of the devs on resetera:

• Added missing audio and text localization (video localization to come in a later patch)
  • Added missing subtitle credits
  • Added GOG achievements
  • Fixed possible deadlocks and memory leaks
  • Fixed various menus not responding to resolution changes
  • Fixed menu sliders sound loop when dragged with the mouse
  • Fixed Borderless Window setting on PC not sticking
  • Added setting to disable widescreen borders
  • Added setting to change ingame brightness
  • Fixed McCoy not being able to walk freely in certain rooms (eg. Runciter's)
  • Fixed subtitles not displaying during outtakes
  • Fixed outtakes not playing at 60fps
  • Fixed fog not rendering correctly in certain rooms (eg. Chinatown)
  • Fixed McCoy clipping into vehicles in certain rooms (eg. Runciter's)
  • Fixed green flicker during transitions
  • Fixed items not displaying after loading a savegame

Internally we are discussing [when it will release] but we aren't too sure yet what to call the cutoff point for the first patch, but you are unlikely to be waiting long.

5 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Internally we are discussing that but we aren't too sure yet what to call the cutoff point for the first patch, but you are unlikely to be waiting long.

Discussing what?

3 hours ago, Benny said:

I'm guessing the graphics being a blurry mess is essentially baked in and that there is unlikely to be a patch for that then...

There's only so much AI upscaling can do if the original content is very low res.  It needs more information for better results.

Just now, pulsemyne said:

There's only so much AI upscaling can do if the original content is very low res.  It needs more information for better results.

It would be better off just not doing the upscaling in the first place, or giving the option of turning it off then.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

It would be better off just not doing the upscaling in the first place, or giving the option of turning it off then.

That's a question then — are there resolution settings in the PC version? Presumably setting the game to 640x480 would do the trick if so! No fixing that interpolation, mind.

Given the *everything* about this remaster, I'll just stick to running this version I think:

WIN_20220630_17_19_07_Pro.thumb.jpg.47a74638a32b8391e64a3f605b1da504.jpg

(alas that the big box went the way of most of my childhood/teenage games; i.e. lost due to parental intervention)

• 3 weeks later...

Picked this up recently, have played it in Classic mode as I saw there were problems with the Enhanced mode. I'm a bit of a point n click n00b, having only really ever gotten into the Walking Dead.

I'm quite liking it, probably helps that I like the source material and its setting. One question, do the facial expressions make a difference to anything? I've not noticed any different dialogue so far.

Currently upto 

Spoiler

the explosion at the DNA guys place after talking to Chew

That reminds me of trying to play the original version a few years back (I think I got it free with a PC Zone subscription way back when, if I remember correctly).

There's a certain scene where you have to escape an explosion. For some reason the timing of the explosion is tied to your clock speed, which on modern PCs is insanely fast and thus impossible. I had to download something that purposely slowed down my CPU just to get past it. So glad that's all fixed now.

On 26/06/2022 at 14:12, Thor said:

Just finished my replay. I got the 

Reveal hidden contents

"Lucy is human and you ride off with her" ending ... I don't remember this ending, it's a bit creepy. 

On 26/06/2022 at 16:57, Marzipan Travolta said:

Yeah. The nonce ending is an awkward one. Never felt quite as dirty getting an achievement. She's literally described as a 14 year old lolita model Nexus 6 if she's a rep.

I remember being shocked at how noncey that ending was back in the late 90's.

I'm not advocating for it to be censored, but I am also very surprised that in 2022 the game has been 're-released' and hasn't attracted a lot of internet outrage for still including it.  Genuinely think if the usual suspects wanted to run with this then the outrage machine could have it withdrawn from sale.