IGNORED

Gundams

mikeyl

From the makers of Elden Ring (🙂), I signed up for a network test https://gundamevolution.com/nt/ for some new Gundam battle royal FPS. 

Quite excited about this because I love big mechabots chucking lasers at each other. But mostly hate the verticality and buzzing around on jet packs. So a flat out FPS may be have the potential to be the real one.

I’ve tried so many Gundam games from incomprehensible (Battle Operation, Gundam Breaker, all of the random ones you see in the arcades) to OMG this is the best thing ever (Dynasty Warriors and Versus).

What’s the best Gundam game? I feel like I’m missing a large chunk of the cultural staple as they churn out so many of these things.

Ooh this actually looks interesting, I hope it also gets a PC release. I've not enjoyed any of the previous Gundam games as obsessed as I am with the animes and manga, the movement was always terrible for giant robots.

Looking at some gameplay footage this looks like a step in the right direction but I still get a feeling they move too quickly like an overwatch character and not a 20 meter tall walking robot killing machine. I also hope they change the scale of the building in the footage I watched, I want to walk around a city and look out from behind apartment blocks or be able to look up at the other side of a space colony while shooting giant machine guns and beam weapons at the enemy.

I always compare mecha games to a short lived FPS called Hawken they got the movement and feel down perfectly in my opinion and if there was a gundam game to match this feel I wouldn't play anything else.

That Hawken looks good. For a lot of robo games it’s the vertical movement which I can’t get my head around. I can’t play a flight sim and fight at the same time lol. I think Titanfall had it cracked there, you were still pretty zippy and huge although you were just a bit of a bulldozer and weren’t really popping heads.

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

What’s the best Gundam game?

Now there’s a Pandora’s box that didn’t need opening 😂 

You can’t go wrong with Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs Maxiboost ON, if you’re into 2v2 Mecha action on the PS5.

I was heavily into its precursor Gundam SEED Destiny Union Vs Z.A.F.T II back in the PS2 days, and also the first Gundam Breaker on the PS3.

However there’s another PS2 title: Another Century’s Episode (known as A.C.E) and it’s sequel which is not strictly all about Gundam as it crossovers other franchises such as Aura Battler Dunbine/ Brain Powerd etc.

I really love Maxiboost ON but barely understand it. There’s so many mechanics around S tiers, dodge windows and frames that I’ve never taken it online for fear of getting absolutely wrecked. I can see why it’s amazing though, rushing in with a big beam sword, the variety of robots and the different feels they all have. Feels like I need to break out an arcade stick for it.

On 21/06/2022 at 15:56, Arn X Treme said:

Anyone actually got their download codes to work?

Got mine at about 4am and it don't work at all. 

Each time I try, it says it's expired. 

Had a feeling mine wouldn’t work as saw on the small print that it’s USA only. Put in the code on the PS5 and it says it’s not available in my region.

Just redeem with a VPN and then play as normal.

it’s pretty lame if I’m honest played for a couple of hours but can’t see me going back.

A small selection of players too as I kept getting teamed with the same people on ranked games.

2 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

Ollie Barder / Cacophonous. He’s a Forbes contributor, still loves his mecha. I think that he works in games development too. He also has a website, https://www.mechadamashii.com, although it hasn’t been updated in a while.

Not sure Forbes actually pay anything for this content. I believe it’s a way to showcase your own blog posts. Be wary of anyone who puts Forbes in their Twitter bio to suggest legitimacy or hiring desirability.

12 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

Not sure Forbes actually pay anything for this content. I believe it’s a way to showcase your own blog posts. Be wary of anyone who puts Forbes in their Twitter bio to suggest legitimacy or hiring desirability.

<sigh> Yes, I get paid for Forbes and I am also under contract with them. You have to be hired to write as a contributor, not anyone can rock up and get a gig. In short, it's the same as every other professional writing job.

The Twitter bio thing is completely hilarious though and to think that is your appraisal of what drives people to do things is a tad quaint. I write about games and anime because I care about it. It's always been just that simple.

On 21/06/2022 at 17:47, mikeyl said:

From the makers of Elden Ring (🙂), I signed up for a network test https://gundamevolution.com/nt/ for some new Gundam battle royal FPS. 

Quite excited about this because I love big mechabots chucking lasers at each other. But mostly hate the verticality and buzzing around on jet packs. So a flat out FPS may be have the potential to be the real one.

I’ve tried so many Gundam games from incomprehensible (Battle Operation, Gundam Breaker, all of the random ones you see in the arcades) to OMG this is the best thing ever (Dynasty Warriors and Versus).

What’s the best Gundam game? I feel like I’m missing a large chunk of the cultural staple as they churn out so many of these things.

Gundam Evolution isn't developed by From Software, it's developed internally by Bandai Namco. The team behind it is interesting and the producer is an old school Gundam game fan.

Glad to see Gundam Extreme Versus Maxiboost ON mentioned, that is an amazing game and arguably one of the best Gundam games out there. If you are having trouble getting into it, there is a very helpful guide available online.

Here are my impressions from the PC network test, and I am currently playing Gundam Evolution on PS5. Still not feeling it, but it's not half bad.

46 minutes ago, Cacophanus said:

Gundam Evolution isn't developed by From Software, it's developed internally by Bandai Namco. The team behind it is interesting and the producer is an old school Gundam game fan.

yeah the smiley face was a joke. Fully understand there are no robots in Bandai Namco published Elden Ring!

yeah I saw that guide when I tied getting in to it, totally lost me somewhere between Advanced Beginners and Mediocre Intermediate. Maybe I’m just too shit at games :)

22 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

yeah the smiley face was a joke. Fully understand there are no robots in Bandai Namco published Elden Ring!

yeah I saw that guide when I tied getting in to it, totally lost me somewhere between Advanced Beginners and Mediocre Intermediate. Maybe I’m just too shit at games :)

In which case, just play the game offline on the easiest setting. Just get to grips with the arcade mode and then maybe have a go on the mission mode, as that is a pretty good tutorial in many ways.

After that, check out some of the video guides, as those might be a bit easier to parse than the bigger written guide I linked to. 

No-one is expecting newer players to be amazing from the get go. Just enjoy playing the game offline, and the multiplayer skills will take care of themselves.

8 hours ago, Cacophanus said:

<sigh> Yes, I get paid for Forbes and I am also under contract with them. You have to be hired to write as a contributor, not anyone can rock up and get a gig. In short, it's the same as every other professional writing job.

The Twitter bio thing is completely hilarious though and to think that is your appraisal of what drives people to do things is a tad quaint. I write about games and anime because I care about it. It's always been just that simple.

It wasn’t a dig at you personally so don’t take it to heart. I work in the industry and have heard too many stories about writers being taken advantage of at Forbes and HuffPo (and more) where promises are made to bloggers and never kept.

Edit: found this on one of the many sites dedicated to helping people get on Forbes and other contributor sites and I can see some people are getting paid something now.

89557254-9DC3-4D98-AAA2-CD3E4587743E.thumb.jpeg.11902cce04e2b487bc55a51daae3efdf.jpeg

7C4DEE6A-66B1-4D35-9E52-514D80F85061.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

It wasn’t a dig at you personally so don’t take it to heart. I work in the industry and have heard too many stories about writers being taken advantage of at Forbes and HuffPo (and more) where promises are made to bloggers and never kept.

Edit: found this on one of the many sites dedicated to helping people get on Forbes and other contributor sites and I can see some people are getting paid something now.

89557254-9DC3-4D98-AAA2-CD3E4587743E.thumb.jpeg.11902cce04e2b487bc55a51daae3efdf.jpeg

7C4DEE6A-66B1-4D35-9E52-514D80F85061.jpeg

For me, I have been paid since I started in 2014 and had to be hired to join, in that they vetted my portfolio for the job and then I had to sign a contract. So the above doesn't line up with that at all.

I don't get why misinformation about this propagates to such an extent, when it has no bearing on my experience whatsoever.

In any case, I have never written for status, I've always done it because I care about the subjects I cover.

3 minutes ago, Cacophanus said:

For me, I have been paid since I started in 2014 and had to be hired to join, in that they vetted my portfolio for the job and then I had to sign a contract. So the above doesn't line up with that at all.

I don't get why misinformation about this propagates to such an extent, when it has no bearing on my experience whatsoever.

In any case, I have never written for status, I've always done it because I care about the subjects I cover.

Don’t mind me, I’m just talking with my NUJ hat on. My first freelance job in the industry paid me just 5p a word so I’ve seen that end of it too.

2 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Don’t mind me, I’m just talking with my NUJ hat on. My first freelance job in the industry paid me just 5p a word so I’ve seen that end of it too.

Wow, that properly takes me back. Getting paid based on wordcount. 

Anyway, just to put this to bed, my job at Forbes is paid and is not open to just anyone. You have to be hired.

On 21/06/2022 at 10:30, EuroVapeSim2 said:

Ooh this actually looks interesting, I hope it also gets a PC release. I've not enjoyed any of the previous Gundam games as obsessed as I am with the animes and manga, the movement was always terrible for giant robots.

Looking at some gameplay footage this looks like a step in the right direction but I still get a feeling they move too quickly like an overwatch character and not a 20 meter tall walking robot killing machine. I also hope they change the scale of the building in the footage I watched, I want to walk around a city and look out from behind apartment blocks or be able to look up at the other side of a space colony while shooting giant machine guns and beam weapons at the enemy.

I always compare mecha games to a short lived FPS called Hawken they got the movement and feel down perfectly in my opinion and if there was a gundam game to match this feel I wouldn't play anything else.

Hawken was absolutely superb. Such a shame they shuttered it. Although I didn't play it frequently enough to notice the more egregious F2P elements of which I believe there were a few?

12 hours ago, PK said:

Hawken was absolutely superb. Such a shame they shuttered it. Although I didn't play it frequently enough to notice the more egregious F2P elements of which I believe there were a few?

It was one of my all time favourite games. The F2P elements weren't too bad in the early days bu it got progressively worse. If there was a Hawken style Gundam game I'd be all over it in a hearbeat.

Hawken's chatter aside, I thought that was a rubbish game as far as Overwatch clones go.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Gundam and know my RX-78s to my OZ-13MS, but this just felt soul-less and dull!

I'm assuming Evolution is going to be F2P?

As for the answer to the original post's question, for me, it's a toss up between two games for me. 

One being Gundam Battle Assault Series:-

Spoiler

Followed by the game that I sank a lot of time into, Gundam Breaker 3:-

Spoiler

On 29/06/2022 at 01:29, Arn X Treme said:

Hawken's chatter aside, I thought that was a rubbish game as far as Overwatch clones go.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Gundam and know my RX-78s to my OZ-13MS, but this just felt soul-less and dull!

I'm assuming Evolution is going to be F2P?

As for the answer to the original post's question, for me, it's a toss up between two games for me. 

One being Gundam Battle Assault Series:-

Reveal hidden contents

Followed by the game that I sank a lot of time into, Gundam Breaker 3:-

Reveal hidden contents

Agreed on Hawken. It had great potential but turned out pretty terribly after it was devoured by that company that made it a multiplayer F2P game.

Also concur on the Gundam Battle Assault games being great and Gundam Breaker 3 being decent. The latter Gundam Breaker games were terrible though.

The Blue Destiny games were also great for their day.