IGNORED

Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!

Benny

One thing I didn't mention about FFVI was that it's quite friendly to players who fear the grind, because the unique character skills can still compensate in places. So your basic attacks may be underpowered but you're still doing work with Cyan's Bushido moves or Sabin's Blitz techniques - and so you can risk punching above your weight for decent experience rewards. Like I said, the game still has difficult moments, but sticking points rarely last that long. :) 

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - Now showing: HOTPICK #8 - it's a sin
8 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I love Original Sin II and it's indeed one of the finest RPGs ever made, but I was only allowed 20 games in my otherwise excellent list :(

Excellent write-up, @Benny

Exactly this. Fabulous game.

I only played FFVI for the first time during lockdown. I was one of the people who voted for it in this poll. The random battle encounter rate didn’t seem too egregious at the time, but maybe I was just glad for the company.

1 hour ago, Jolly said:

Loving the idea of these hotpicks, Benny. 

You may also be intrigued to realise that so far each HOTPICK has been an example of a best in genre...

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - Now showing: 70 - 69 (hair beater)

I think DMC V has spoiled me now, but with hindsight Bayo still has some clever design decisions  - the soft-lock-on can feel like telepathy at times, and the way you can create combos out of anything is satisfying. I missed out on the sequel stuff though, as I don't have a WiiU or Switch.

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

I think DMC V has spoiled me now, but with hindsight Bayo still has some clever design decisions  - the soft-lock-on can feel like telepathy at times, and the way you can create combos out of anything is satisfying. I missed out on the sequel stuff though, as I don't have a WiiU or Switch.

I think this sequel is better - it feels close to a Treasure game at times with the scale, bombast, and colour. The vibrancy between the two games is pretty stark. Bayonetta 3 looks like it'll be closer to the 2nd game in style and gameplay so very much looking forward to it - yes.

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - Now showing: 70 - 69 (Shagohair)
1 hour ago, PeteJ said:

I feel bad for Divinity: Original Sin 2, it deserves better. I feel bad because I didn't vote, and because I haven't played it. 

Keep up the good work @Benny :) Great thread

Though oddly enough, if just a couple more people had voted for Divinity: Original Sin II, it would not have made it into the HOTPICKS or the top 100 either, as the requirement was they all had to be games that cruelly got just one vote on them.

7 minutes ago, Couch Corpse said:

How many unique voters were there Benny?

Do you mean how many posters voted in the poll? No idea off hand.

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - Now showing: 68 - 67 (chasing dragons)
2 hours ago, Benny said:

Is Tetris Effect really Tetris?

Not really. It’s something else. Really something else.

Have to agree with that, what with my loving Tetris Effect despite having no strong feelings about Tetris itself. A game that merrily proves the "[graphics/sound/general aesthetic] isn't important, it's only gameplay that matters!" mantra wrong.

(though obviously gameplay does also matter, which is why Rez is still king of the Testuya Mizuguchi Wants To Make You His Synaesthete Bitch genre, at least for those of us with the good taste to enjoy rail shooters more than Tetrises. Tetres. Tetri. Whatever the plural of Tetris is)

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - Now showing: 66 (the number of the beast)
17 hours ago, Wiper said:

at least for those of us with the good taste to enjoy rail shooters more than Tetrises. Tetres. Tetri. Whatever the plural of Tetris is)

Tetrominiides.

18 hours ago, Benny said:

you’re still on the fence, it’s worth checking out the insanely generous demo that gives you a good 10 hour chunk of the game to really sink into, like warm, nostalgic blancmange. And really, maybe pining for the past isn’t so bad sometimes?

Even better: it's on game pass

It’s such a simple thing, but Tetris Effect’s speed changes in the middle of Journey mode work so well with Enhance’s audiovisual experiences - Dolphin Surf has a burst of speed that cues up with the first beat drop but slows things down towards the end when you break the ocean surface and the track mellows. And every level has something like that. Somehow that design decision sold the experience more than any VR options or anything.

On 14/07/2022 at 12:09, Qazimod said:

Honestly, the sequel is more akin to Kirby than DMC.

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - Now showing: 65-62 (secrets and lies, secrets and lies)

I still revisit SMB3 via my RS97. Of course I use the two warps to get straight to World 8 within minutes - and then die because I've had no opportunities to stock up on lives and power-ups - but it holds up well.

I think Demon's might be the one Soulsbornekiroring that I never touched. I mean, I didn't get anywhere with DS1 but at least I played it until it got too much.

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - It's over!