IGNORED

Smashing stuff up, breaking things. Destruction games

I've been replaying Red Faction : Guerilla lately. All the buildings in the game are fully destructible, and it's such a joy to destroy them. To level a tall building with some big rockets, or to get in a mech and take a stroll through an enemy base, knocking it down with your big silly metal hands. I spent quite a bit of time when it's not remotely necessary just making things collapse, setting charges and blowing things up, hitting things with my big hammer.

It's so much fun that it made me wonder why more games aren't made with this gameplay mechanic as a priority. I'm sure it's compilcated and physics didn't used to be advanced enough, but they could be doing it now.

The only other main game I could think of is blast corps, which I remember being great but haven't played in a long time.

Angry birds, I suppose? One smashes stuff good in that.

Other than that, I'm drawing a blank, and thinking of games where smashing stuff is just a nice optional extra. Like trashing all the houses and big blocks along with the enemies in bangai-o.

Please tell me about games where you like to smash and break things and it feels good.

I never played it, but the 2005 game Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction seems to be very fondly remembered for this!

Just Cause 2 had lots of stuff blowing up in satisfying ways. Getting in a helicopter and shooting down a radio mast, or throwing grenades at a giant statue of Not-Kim Jong-il.

The question of why we don't see it more often is not just due to physics, but how to design a compelling experience around the concept that everything can be destroyed, especially if you want to try and have a focused story.

I can't remember too much about Red Faction Guerrilla, but didn't that have some indestructible stuff too, for story reasons? 

Noita looks fun.

I was gonna suggest Red Faction but yeah, makes sense you already played that one. Have you tried any of the four Just Cause games? For PC only, give Instruments of Destruction a try.

1 hour ago, McFly said:

Blast Corps was an obsession for me, getting the rdus and all the secret/extra stuff consumed. Ripe for gamepass or a vr remake

Rare Replay contains Blast Corps and is £5 on Xbox right now.

Can't believe I didn't instantly think of Boom Blox on the Wii. Lots of fun chucking bombs around levels to exploding things in the right way to pass levels. Also just as fun in multiplayer from what I remember. One of my favourite games for the system.

I was always more interested in leveling entire cities in the EDF games. The bugs were just collateral damage. 

It was OCD. 

30 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Rare Replay contains Blast Corps and is £5 on Xbox right now.

I own rare replay and never knew this - how did I miss this, I always assumed it was Nintendo IP so would never be seen on an xbox other than thru an emulator

EDF, as mentioned a couple of posts up is not only the best game for smashing up entire levels and cities, but is also the best game.  That is to say, it is the best game.  4.1 and 5 on Par are the most fun you can have whilst playing a videogame. Puts a massive smile on your face. Criminally underrated series that more people should know about.

2 hours ago, df0 said:

Noita looks fun.

I was gonna suggest Red Faction but yeah, makes sense you already played that one. Have you tried any of the four Just Cause games? For PC only, give Instruments of Destruction a try.

1 hour ago, Lochenvar said:

I've not tried it yet, but this one came out recently:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1428100/Instruments_of_Destruction/

Great topic.  Instruments of Destruction looks amazing.  Wishlisted

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

I own rare replay and never knew this - how did I miss this, I always assumed it was Nintendo IP so would never be seen on an xbox other than thru an emulator

Apprently I hadn’t missed it, well not according to a save file with my initials on it.

Seems I’ve lived this rose tinted memory once before, going in all excited, playing one level before quitting out probably thinking ‘most old games play like shit’. 

Deep Rock Galactic really scratches this itch for me. The walls in the caves you explore are fully destructible and you have to use your tools (drills, zip wires etc) to get deeper and deeper. Very satisfying and on GamePass.

Rock and stone!