Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

Regardless of your thoughts on Bassey’s former club, you can’t begrudge this hard working, humble, honest young man in realising his dream of simply moving his mum out the hood at such a young age. He had raw ability when he came in and worked hard to get where he’s going today. Can’t wait to see him blossom at Ajax tbf 🫡 

He was thrilled when this was filmed at the mere fact Steven Gerrard knew his name. 

As an aside, I find myself raising a wry smile when I think of all the Rangers da’s who were frothing at the mouth for the players to be booted straight out the club when him and Nathan Patterson were busted having a FIFA / pay per view boxing party over lockdown :lol: £40M later I’m glad we kept both of those reserve fullbacks on at the time 😅

2 hours ago, bradigor said:

Erm... that's the joke. VAR officials are shite, shock horror, news and all that. 

Rest of what you say though I totally agree. 

Yeah, I know.  :D

There is a reasonable point behind the joke though.  Results changed because of VAR calls that were based on an objectively flawed system.  Never mind the title, what about the bottom of the league?  Was someone relegated because of this?  I can't be bothered to check, but I'm happy to sound off on the issue.  I'm trying to get a job on Talksport.

I think that my lot lost a couple of points due to VAR overturns that would have kept us up, but them's the breaks.  Besides, that would have meant that we stayed up because the officials had got it wrong which is suboptimal.

Scuffed Panenka.     One of my early football memories was Gary Lineker doing the same thing against Brazil when he was one goal behind equalling Bobby Charlton's scoring record. 

You've got to mention the Pires/Henry travesty of a penalty when you are talking about shit spot kicks. 

Of course they were trying to emulate the penalty scored by Rik Coppens and made famous by Johan Cruyff. 

I love the Pires Henry one because of how angry Danny Mills got over it. Doing that in a game summed up Arsenal's confidence in their creativity at the time. 

I'd put Linekar's above Gallagher's, he's maybe 40% there to achieving it whilst Gallagher hasn't even slightly fooled the keeper nor got any height on the ball.

This is a funny one

Neymar has a whole collection of bad penalties. 

there's this one

and this one

nine more here

FIFA 23 is including the WSL and France's Division 1 Féminine, along with next summer's World Cup (having previously featured international women's sides) A small step but one that does feel significant in that there is further inclusion in a medium that is notoriously male-skewed. Reports suggest further sides will be added, hopefully EA Sports FC and FIFA's future content partners will sustain this progress.

Does feel like the next few years could be huge for the women's game in the UK as the recent growing potential is increasingly realised, moving the game from being a niche curiosity (or simply being overlooked) to a much more sustainable and developed outlet for football supporters. Seeing families in the stands enjoying the games during the current Euros has been heartwarming.

I had read that the Frauen Bundesliga and the US's NWSL were two other leagues slated for inclusion at some point after release, which would be sensible enough choices. Wouldn't surprise me if there was also a small smattering of other clubs like Barcelona, but that'd be licences depending.

31 minutes ago, SMD said:

shame that FIFA is utter shite. the collapse of Pro Evo isn't enough to get me to try FIFA again.

Be that as it may, the game does sell like hotcakes and produce plenty of marketable content. Having more positive messaging reaching a wider audience won't change the world overnight, but is at least a step in the right direction. I'm clinging to such things.

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

I had read that the Frauen Bundesliga and the US's NWSL were two other leagues slated for inclusion at some point after release, which would be sensible enough choices. Wouldn't surprise me if there was also a small smattering of other clubs like Barcelona, but that'd be licences depending.

Barca would be a logical choice. It'd be cool if the Champions League also gets added, although again that'd be very much licence dependent.

No issue with the messaging, just steps like that still won't tempt me back. Ultimate Team and the terrible game mechanics are my red lines and every year they show no interest in addressing them.

Miss the days when there were a million different football games on consoles and PC.

1 hour ago, wev said:

There's gonna be so many angry fifa players getting angry at the player ratings, gonna need a huge bag of popcorn 

They are already angry about a woman being on the cover. When they see a woman rated at 90+ in Ultimate Team it's going to make some heads explode.

4 hours ago, glb said:

FIFA 23 is including the WSL and France's Division 1 Féminine, along with next summer's World Cup (having previously featured international women's sides) A small step but one that does feel significant in that there is further inclusion in a medium that is notoriously male-skewed. Reports suggest further sides will be added, hopefully EA Sports FC and FIFA's future content partners will sustain this progress.

Does feel like the next few years could be huge for the women's game in the UK as the recent growing potential is increasingly realised, moving the game from being a niche curiosity (or simply being overlooked) to a much more sustainable and developed outlet for football supporters. Seeing families in the stands enjoying the games during the current Euros has been heartwarming.

I've been ordered to buy it so Edith can play as Missy-Bo

12 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

They are already angry about a woman being on the cover. When they see a woman rated at 90+ in Ultimate Team it's going to make some heads explode.

Sam Kerr is exceptional. Like my favourite non-Liverpool player in the women's game. 

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Good, hopefully they actually explode rather than metaphorically