Jump to content

Football thread 2022/23


Naysonymous
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I turned the Saints Vs Arsenal match on with the match on about the 25th minute. Arsenal fullback Tomiyasu was about to take a throw-in. He looked like he'd just woken up and didn't know where he was. He peered around for two or three minutes. The referee blew his whistle to tell him to get on with it, so he started crab-walking up the touchline, eventually throwing it in to nobody having advanced up the pitch fifteen yards from where he was supposed to be taking it. The ball went towards Jesus, who jumped with his elbow in a Southampton defender's ear. The defender slapped him on the back in retaliation. Jesus fell to the floor, writhing in "agony" and remained there until the referee stopped the match. He remained seated as three players tried to pick him up, with that stupid "poor me" expression he does so often on his face. Several players decided to have a drink, further delaying things. Eventually there was a drop-ball. Nobody understood the new drop-ball rules so the ref had to bring it back and have another go. The ball went forward, and Tomiyasu put it out for another throw-in. Unfortunately, his boot came off, so he sat down to put it back on. Once again, he seemed confused, and took about another three or four minutes to complete this task. 

 

I'd watched ten minutes and that's all that had happened. If I'd been the referee I'd have sent off at least four of them on principal for what they were doing to the beautiful game. Best league in the world.

 

 

Was saying in the Arsenal thread this ref is just getting everything wrong. Players don't respect him and are taking the piss. If there's a big decision to make he'll make a bosh of it, I can guarantee it. They do desperately need to bring in 60 minute games though, the gamesmanship makes my arse ache.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I turned the Saints Vs Arsenal match on with the match on about the 25th minute. Arsenal fullback Tomiyasu was about to take a throw-in. He looked like he'd just woken up and didn't know where he was. He peered around for two or three minutes. The referee blew his whistle to tell him to get on with it, so he started crab-walking up the touchline, eventually throwing it in to nobody having advanced up the pitch fifteen yards from where he was supposed to be taking it. The ball went towards Jesus, who jumped with his elbow in a Southampton defender's ear. The defender slapped him on the back in retaliation. Jesus fell to the floor, writhing in "agony" and remained there until the referee stopped the match. He remained seated as three players tried to pick him up, with that stupid "poor me" expression he does so often on his face. Several players decided to have a drink, further delaying things. Eventually there was a drop-ball. Nobody understood the new drop-ball rules so the ref had to bring it back and have another go. The ball went forward, and Tomiyasu put it out for another throw-in. Unfortunately, his boot came off, so he sat down to put it back on. Once again, he seemed confused, and took about another three or four minutes to complete this task. 

 

I'd watched ten minutes and that's all that had happened. If I'd been the referee I'd have sent off at least four of them on principal for what they were doing to the beautiful game. Best league in the world.

 

 

Welcome to Arsenal under Arteta.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Villa fan - should I be over the moon, or extremely frustrated?

 

Obviously the first, but bad manager / tactics / whatever, seeing the same players (after subs were made) all chase down and press everything like they have today suggests that the players still have a lot to answer for too regarding the start they've had.

 

I liked how Danks dropped McGinn and Ramsey as if to light a fire under them, then bringing them on later with something to prove, a place to fight for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

I turned the Saints Vs Arsenal match on with the match on about the 25th minute. Arsenal fullback Tomiyasu was about to take a throw-in. He looked like he'd just woken up and didn't know where he was. He peered around for two or three minutes. The referee blew his whistle to tell him to get on with it, so he started crab-walking up the touchline, eventually throwing it in to nobody having advanced up the pitch fifteen yards from where he was supposed to be taking it. The ball went towards Jesus, who jumped with his elbow in a Southampton defender's ear. The defender slapped him on the back in retaliation. Jesus fell to the floor, writhing in "agony" and remained there until the referee stopped the match. He remained seated as three players tried to pick him up, with that stupid "poor me" expression he does so often on his face. Several players decided to have a drink, further delaying things. Eventually there was a drop-ball. Nobody understood the new drop-ball rules so the ref had to bring it back and have another go. The ball went forward, and Tomiyasu put it out for another throw-in. Unfortunately, his boot came off, so he sat down to put it back on. Once again, he seemed confused, and took about another three or four minutes to complete this task. 

 

I'd watched ten minutes and that's all that had happened. If I'd been the referee I'd have sent off at least four of them on principal for what they were doing to the beautiful game. Best league in the world.

 

 

That is the exact moment I tuned in to watch the game 😂 - I saw the Arsenal forward run full pelt trying to nick the drop ball looking a right idiot as everyone else looked on with WTF expressions.

 

Good on Southampton for getting back into it tho, amazing how all the time wasting and fake injuries stopped exactly after they scored :o 

 

36 minutes ago, wev said:

Tomayasu isn't the only one to "crab walk" along the touchline until he reaches the half way line, basically every full back in the country does it.

 

Its gone on for decades, used to be called the ‘European throw’

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

 

That is the exact moment I tuned in to watch the game 😂 - I saw the Arsenal forward run full pelt trying to nick the drop ball looking a right idiot as everyone else looked on with WTF expressions.

 

Good on Southampton for getting back into it tho, amazing how all the time wasting and fake injuries stopped exactly after they scored :o 

 

 

Its gone on for decades, used to be called the ‘European throw’

 

Oh I'm aware, it pisses me off when anyone does it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Baring said:

Newcastle are the real deal this season. I hope they hang on here. The shit housery is wonderful. 

 

Better on the day but weak Spurs side due to injury and awful form - I dont think they are got in to trouble the top 4 this season but defi progressing and have the money to buy their way into it over the next few years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The foul is the bloke with his arm on him coming into shot and not the one making the tackle. There’s better angles. They’re given the majority of the time even if they’re soft, so maybe not a foul but it’s definitely not a dive. It was just a shit show from start to finish from the ref and it seemed mental there were no VAR checks on anything, including some mad cunt throwing a head butt and grabbing a player by the throat getting a yellow for some reason. We’re not totting up fouls now though after Martinelli, that was just a fun one off novelty that’s never to be repeated. We’ll have to see what arbitrary crackdown they’ll try next week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Stejay said:

Villa fan - should I be over the moon, or extremely frustrated?

 

Obviously the first, but bad manager / tactics / whatever, seeing the same players (after subs were made) all chase down and press everything like they have today suggests that the players still have a lot to answer for too regarding the start they've had.

 

I liked how Danks dropped McGinn and Ramsey as if to light a fire under them, then bringing them on later with something to prove, a place to fight for.

I think it's fairly likely that the club was in the doldrums being lead by Gerrard - I suspect things under him were miserable. If that is the case that atmosphere can taint everything and effect performances. So it may be the case that just the relief of his going and his (lack of) coaching has sparked a performance.

 

Either way we've beat Brentford for the first time since the 40s and beat them convincingly, enjoy it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really?  I've got a thousand ITK accounts and "FootyInsiders" saying it will be Vincent Kompany.  Because when it went so badly for Villa getting a big name in who had had one good season in a lower standard league, the next logical step is to get a big name in who has had a quarter of a good season in a lower league.

 

 

(Kompany's going to be a brilliant manager, by the way.  But he's far from the finished article.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd be very surprised if it was Kompany. We've been burnt by the rookie manager with a great playing career, we won't replace that with another.

 

There's lots of talk of our owners and the CEO having met with Emery recently, visiting Villarreal etc. Would tie in with the rumours that they decided they were going to spend to get the best they could. Emery would be about the best manager (by a distance) Villa could reasonably expect to persuade (as opposed to Poch being a hail Mary option).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, there is no sensible reason why Villa would want Kompany right now and Kompany is clearly one of the smartest individuals in the game and knows that it would be a bad move right now.

 

Emery is a good choice.  He was treated like shit at Arsenal by utter fools.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Yeah, there is no sensible reason why Villa would want Kompany right now and Kompany is clearly one of the smartest individuals in the game and knows that it would be a bad move right now.

 

Emery is a good choice.  He was treated like shit at Arsenal by utter fools.

 

I'm sorry but that's not true in the slightest. He didn't have the force of personality to imprint a style on the team and the football was absolutely dreadful. The fans were good to him for ages until it all fell apart. Nice enough bloke but everything in his career so far suggests he's a good cup manager with the fatal character flaw of choking when it comes to the crunch. The two big jobs he's had didn't work for him as he's too worried about nullifying the other team and reacting with loads of needless tinkering and confusion. He didn't fail because the fans gave him a hard time, he was just a poor choice from the moment he was mentioned for the job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The racehorse Rock of Gibraltar has died.

 

Probably left one of the biggest legacies in world football - the landscape would look very different.  United would be owned by either the Saudis or Qataris, leading to no Man City, PSG or Newcastle. Few more Champions Leagues.  Fergie's replacement would have been backed. And a billion quid would still be in the club coffers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.