Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

Being an Arsenal fan I’ve had the pleasure on several occasions of witnessing first hand when players trouser a ridiculous new contract only to leisurely wind down their careers in front of your very eyes, and that’s obviously what’s happened to Salah isn’t it? It’s like a visually different kind of decline to your legs going.

23 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

None of:

Thiago
Trent
Robertson 
Matip
Salah
Jota
Diaz

… starting.

🤞🏻😅

Most are injured in all fairness. Salah needs dropping. Thiago I hope is just being saved ahead of the weekend, but giving us good options from the bench still.

34 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Being an Arsenal fan I’ve had the pleasure on several occasions of witnessing first hand when players trouser a ridiculous new contract only to leisurely wind down their careers in front of your very eyes, and that’s obviously what’s happened to Salah isn’t it? It’s like a visually different kind of decline to your legs going.

part him being shite since the double blow of losing AFCON and not making the World Cup, part him behind shunted out wide and isolated in attack

but yeah it's not looking good

2 hours ago, bradigor said:

Most are injured in all fairness. Salah needs dropping. Thiago I hope is just being saved ahead of the weekend, but giving us good options from the bench still.

Seems that he just needed to be a bit pissed off.

8 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

That Lewandowski header for the equaliser was something else. Yes, he's unmarked but the jump and twist in the air to generate that amount of power. Superb. 

He might be a decent player. One to watch.

3 hours ago, Plissken said:

The Ugly Sisters have the quality to just walk into the Premier League, no problem.

Our whole team cost like 14M. That wouldn't buy a single one of Salah's pubes. Our entire midfield last night were free transfers. Our most expensive player was 7M Ryan Kent, signed from Liverpool's Z team.

2 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Our whole team cost like 14M. That wouldn't buy a single one of Salah's pubes. Our entire midfield last night were free transfers. Our most expensive player was 7M Ryan Kent, signed from Liverpool's Z team.

To be fair, they'd both do better than Nottingham Forest have done so far on their return.

(feel free to bookmark this post for when Forest beat Liverpool next weekend)

1 hour ago, glb said:

To be fair, they'd both do better than Nottingham Forest have done so far on their return.

(feel free to bookmark this post for when Forest beat Liverpool next weekend)

We'll still be shell shocked from a quadruple hat trick from Haaland to even put out a starting eleven against Forest.

On 12/10/2022 at 12:52, Naysonymous said:

I love non apologies.  After the players singing Celtic Symphony by the Wolfe Tones (“up the IRA”) after the game was put out on social media this is the response:  

C'mon, get it right, it's "up the ra". "Up the IRA" doesn't work at all as a lyric.

Whole thing is fucking stupid. It's past time we just put all that Wolfe Tones stuff in a box and left it behind us. Their day is done.

It's rotten the way some people to be all about Irish "Unity" rush in try and twist the narrative around incidents like this. We can try to understand why the IRA grew in Northern Ireland during the troubles but the shit of glorifying them needs to fucking stop. People in the Republic need to understand that if there is going to be a United Ireland then people of a Unionist background aren't just going to get on a boat to Scotland. 

Most importantly there's an awful lot of people out there who are victims of the IRA and they deserve to be treated with respect. If people don't understand that then they're cunts. 

9 hours ago, bradigor said:

We'll still be shell shocked from a quadruple hat trick from Haaland to even put out a starting eleven against Forest.

If it makes you feel any better, Forest could field all 27 new players against just Haaland would still lose

nuno-winning.gif

Strong rumours that he's coming back to Molineux.

And you know what?  I'd fucking LOVE it if he did.  I adore this man - he's the only Wolves manager I didn't want to leave when he did, he's a massive upgrade on the hapless Bruno Lage and crucially, he 100% 'gets' the club, the fans, the city.

We badly need a boost and the atmosphere in his first home game would be electric if he was appointed.

Lots of negativity amongst our fan base regarding this, but I'm on board with it.  

15 hours ago, bear said:

C'mon, get it right, it's "up the ra". "Up the IRA" doesn't work at all as a lyric.

Whole thing is fucking stupid. It's past time we just put all that Wolfe Tones stuff in a box and left it behind us. Their day is done.

It's rotten the way some people to be all about Irish "Unity" rush in try and twist the narrative around incidents like this. We can try to understand why the IRA grew in Northern Ireland during the troubles but the shit of glorifying them needs to fucking stop. People in the Republic need to understand that if there is going to be a United Ireland then people of a Unionist background aren't just going to get on a boat to Scotland. 

Most importantly there's an awful lot of people out there who are victims of the IRA and they deserve to be treated with respect. If people don't understand that then they're cunts. 

Where are you from? Just out of curiosity.

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

nuno-winning.gif

Strong rumours that he's coming back to Molineux.

And you know what?  I'd fucking LOVE it if he did.  I adore this man - he's the only Wolves manager I didn't want to leave when he did, he's a massive upgrade on the hapless Bruno Lage and crucially, he 100% 'gets' the club, the fans, the city.

We badly need a boost and the atmosphere in his first home game would be electric if he was appointed.

Lots of negativity amongst our fan base regarding this, but I'm on board with it.  

As a Spurs fan I obviously hate this man. I wouldn't even like to see him managing another team. I'd rather he just never showed his stupid bearded face ever again. 

I might be a bit irrational. 

9 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

As a Spurs fan I obviously hate this man. I wouldn't even like to see him managing another team. I'd rather he just never showed his stupid bearded face ever again. 

I might be a bit irrational. 

Very irrational :lol:

He's an absolute legend for us.  By far the best manager we've had in my lifetime, and probably in the top 3 in the history of club.  And he's loved in Wolverhampton - he gave 250k of his own money to local charities, has an honorary degree from the university etc.  He had a connection with the fans that no manager has ever had before.

If he returns, I just hope it doesn't go tits up and taints the great memories he's already given us.

1 minute ago, Boothjan said:

Very irrational :lol:

He's an absolute legend for us.  By far the best manager we've had in my lifetime, and probably in the top 3 in the history of club.  And he's loved in Wolverhampton - he gave 250k of his own money to local charities, has an honorary degree from the university etc.  He had a connection with the fans that no manager has ever had before.

If he returns, I just hope it doesn't go tits up and taints the great memories he's already given us.

Hadn't it already gone a bit tits up in his last season? I seem to remember Wolves having an appalling goalscoring record? Never scoring in the first half or something?

1 minute ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Hadn't it already gone a bit tits up in his last season? I seem to remember Wolves having an appalling goalscoring record? Never scoring in the first half or something?

Yeah his last season - the lockdown one - wasn't good.  But I still think there were plenty of extenuating circumstances for that.  We badly missed playing in front of crowds, the freak injury to Raul Jimenez was something you could never legislate for, and by the end I think he'd just had enough and needed a break.  That was why I was so surprised when he joined Tottenham so soon afterwards.

I'm pretty sure there were disagreements with the board too - however, they've started to splash the cash a bit since then so I do wonder if that obstacle might be fixable?

Ultimately, I didn't want him to leave despite our poor season, and we'd never have been in this mess if he hadn't left. 

As for the style of play - no, we didn't score enough but we were much more solid as a team than we are now.  Under Lage, we barely created anything.  Our current issues aren't because our forwards miss any chances.  We are SO toothless and create fuck all.  3 goals all season really isn't a fluke statistic - we're appalling to watch.  I really do believe any competent manager would fix this and Nuno at least knows the club and the majority of the squad.