Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

Every so often I see an image that really drives home just what sort of physical specimens top class athletes are. I'm sure my legs have all the same parts as Haalands but they never looked anything like that. 😆

So you’re saying that a club who are supposedly skint and are supposedly in breach of FFP shouldn’t be spending the thick end of €50m on striker who’s first significant achievement after signing will be celebrating his 34th birthday? 

Just read this.

MLS Next Pro is trialing 2 new rules. One is that if you get a red card, your automatic 1 game suspension is served not in the next game, but the next time you play the team against whom you got the red card. If you get it in the final game of the season, it's either 1st playoff game or next season's opening game. The other is that if play is stopped for an injury, and the player is still on the ground 15 seconds later, they have to go off the field AND can't re-enter for 3 minutes (with some exceptions-goalkeeper, head injury/seizure/choking, blood, 2 players on the same team colliding, and others), to cut down on timewasting.

First one, not sure.  Second one... yes, I can go with that.

You'd just get players trying to play on with serious injuries or bleeding to avoid the 3 minute cooldown.

Also the suspension trial is prime for abuse, with riskier tackles against smaller teams

3 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Just read this.

First one, not sure.  Second one... yes, I can go with that.

Second one would be unworkable in the Prem. You'd get teams like Arsenal who will swarm the ref and stop them timing the 15 seconds. Not to mention we don't have any refs with the courage to book blatantly diving players from the Sky 6 as it is, so they're never going to enforce time limits.

I do agree it's a step in the right direction but an overhaul of refs needs to happen first.

I don't think that you would given that players know when an injury is serious.  The idea is to stop them being tapped on the ankle and them screaming and rolling around and taking 30 seconds off the clock.

The only thing I can think of is will it cut down on treading on the top of the opponents foot to break up an attack, which is definitely a coached tactic nowadays.

The "swarm the ref" thing - well, that definitely will cause the game to be stopped for for more than 15 seconds, not prevent it, so off they go for three minutes.

Given the way that shithousery is beginning to be embedded in the game (and every team does it) then I'm all for ways to prevent as much of it as possible.

If refs knew how to add on additional time properly it wouldn't be an issue at all. All those officials and no one can figure out that 6 subs and 3 goals doesn't equal two minutes of added time.

They should fix their concussion protocol rather than fiddling around the edges.

I've heard Marcotti push the idea of bringing in a stop clock system whenever the ball goes dead like that but its never made a lot of sense to me. Why not just copy rugby and stop the clock for a limited handful of incidents like substitutions, goals, players needing treatment etc.? It mostly works fine there and they didn't have to push through an idea that was going to adjust the length of a match. It may end up not having a practical effect on how long a match goes in reality but idea of switching to a 60 minute match feels like it'd be enough to kill that proposal before it got anywhere. 

That would be worth a trial too, neither is definitively better in my mind. It's worth noting the IFAB's sheer reluctance to look at how rugby does anything, though, given the disparity in implemention of video reviews. They'd be more likely to invent something entirely new than look at successful implementations anywhere else.

I don't see a stop clock as such a radical change. The average time the ball was in play in the Premier League last season was just 55 minutes, so a fixed 60 minute clock wouldn't do much to adjust the televised length of the match, but would reduce the ability of either team to run the clock down through feigning injury, delaying the restart, and other elements which serve to frustrate or panic the opposition. 

A hiccup comes at the end of a half - currently, the referee has enough leeway to let an attack finish before they blow up. With a fixed clock, you'd want to retain that leeway rather than blow up as soon as the timer runs out. A rugby-style dead ball requirement could be an option there, but the games flow differently.

2 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

A hiccup comes at the end of a half - currently, the referee has enough leeway to let an attack finish before they blow up. With a fixed clock, you'd want to retain that leeway rather than blow up as soon as the timer runs out. A rugby-style dead ball requirement could be an option there, but the games flow differently.

I know the area is smaller, but scrambles in the last 10 seconds of a game of Ice Hockey, with the goalie pulled are great fun. 

The rugby way would be better for football though. 

25 minutes ago, Plissken said:

A half ending at a time + next dead ball stoppage that isn't a foul seems reasonable.

(Including corners? Maybe not.)

There'd be zero jeopardy sending the keeper up then.