Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

The record for most PL hat tricks in a single season is Shearer with 5. The record for overall total is Aguero with 12. Haaland has 3 in 2 months. I can't help but have some grudging admiration for him, and City, but surely even their own fans wouldn't have welcomed turning the PL into even more of a procession?

(Yes, I'm aware they're not top, yet.)

4 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

Wolves sack Bruno Lage🙄

Thank goodness - he was so out of his depth it was unreal.

The next appointment is a massive decision. I really hope we don't go for a cheap 'yes man' type option.

Would be pleased with Amorim (unlikely) or Martins. Or Rodgers should Leicester lose patience with him. Think he could do with a fresh start...

48 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Not sell him, but if he keeps going on his current trajectory then very soon he'll become the most valuable player in the world

Haaland & M’Bappe probably already stand miles ahead of everyone else in terms of value. You’d probably still have to rate M’Bappe higher given all he’s achieved in the game, five league titles (with two clubs) and a World Cup where he scored in the final.  He’s a bit older, but only to the point where’d he’d have been one year above Haaland at school.  I don’t think their rivalry will be the same as Messi vs Ronaldo just because they aren’t at rival clubs in the same league but it’s probably going to be their era for the next 5-10 years.  

I think Haaland has had his career carefully managed so far to make sure that the vast majority of any money changing hands went into his and Raiola‘s back pockets. They’ve used him as the blueprint of how you deal with these top shelf players now – get them in teams they’re too good for and insist on a cheapo buyout clause to pump up the hype for the mega deal he’s on now. He’ll always be an expensive player but I reckon only on a speculative fee as he’ll most likely run down his contracts. There’s probably only two teams who could afford to pay for him anyway and he’s at one of them.

If he stays on his current trajectory, he’ll be the world’s first £200m transfer, should Man City ever consider selling him. PSG, Real, Barca would all want him, two of those may need to crank some levers to afford him, but he’s hardly likely to leave City in a hurry, barring them completely going awry if/when Pep leaves in the next few years.

Newcastle could afford him too. But LOL.

His finish from the KdB cross was unreal and I was impressed that United kept playing to the final minute, they didn’t lay down and die like they did last season.

I follow the MBappe method and let his contract run down and then will either sign a huge new one in the final year or move to Real Madrid on a free with huge wages and signing on bonus.

42 minutes ago, ckny said:

Neymar

Wasn’t he ‘only’ £180m?

EDIT: oh, looks like he was around £199m :lol:

So, technically Haaland could be the first £200m player! That Neymar transfer is still madness, especially given the record before that was £89m.

3 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Fastest to score 3 Premier League hat tricks. 

image.thumb.png.cb3d24e32efee49f34351cfebba3fc1b.png

It seems obvious he'd broken the record, but by 40 games?

Just saw that and came in to post. It's so ridiculous. I thought before the season he'd get maybe 35 PL goals this season but maybe it'll be 40. Guardiola is playing him more than anyone expected I think. Guardiola made 4 subs in the game at once and Haaland wasn't one of them. Also wonder if De Bruyne is keen on getting that assist record finally with something so ahead it will never be broken. He's on 8. 

4 hours ago, Stevie said:

United could have gotten him for 20 million lmao.

Leeds could have had him for £4m apparently, but that was a massive risk in the Championship. 

There a rumour that he had a buy out clause of £180m ish in his Man City contract after 2 seasons. 

1 hour ago, davidcotton said:

Chris Wilder sacked at Middlesbrough. 

The Championship is sacking everyone. Bruce must be close to getting the chop as well at West Brom.

Lots of managers available and lots of jobs available with potentially another vacancy tonight in the Prem as well - Rogers will go if they lose to Forest and I guess there is a chance that Forest will be dull enough to sack Cooper soon?

Leicester have had three really decent chances and spurned them all. Then let Awoniyi run through the middle of the defence to hit the post. 

And now we've only gone and scored, somewhat fortunately. Problem is we're no good at holding onto a lead. Barnes could get Williams sent off though, which would help.

Fuck me, we've scored 2 now!