Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

1 hour ago, glb said:

With a lot of club sides facing 13 games in 42 days between now and the World Cup, imagine Southgate’s squad, and a fair few other nations’ for that matter, could be a bit patchwork by the time things get underway in Qatar.

At least Maguire will be well rested :eyebrows:

Well, if Kenny's annoyed at his detractors calling it a results business, maybe he'll point to that.

But that'd be a nonsense. This was a game that was supposed to be a comfortable win and it turned into a chaotic mess. I think the first Armenian goal basically sucked all the confidence out of the team and gave it straight to the opposition, because suddenly they were attacking everything. Hell, never mind the goal, the first Armenian shot, which forced Bazunu to make a good save, seemed to have surprised half the defence.

Meanwhile, congratulations to Scotland. Let's all be like Scotland.

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Meanwhile in Totally Normal and Acceptable news, Qatar are using conscription to handle security at the World Cup.

You’d think such things would be in place a little sooner than mere weeks before the tournament. The lapse approach to security is totally the best practice for global events.

4 hours ago, merman said:

It’s been like that since Southgate took over, let the team attack and it can cause any side trouble.

But Maguire shouldn’t have been in the squad no matter how much Gareth trusts him, he can be directly blamed for the first two German goals and was out of position for the third.

Yep, his position should be clearly marked as baggage handler. Useless twonk that he is!!

That's as gorgeous a goal as that shirt they are wearing.  I love the way he carefully places the kick instead of belting it.

Anyway, just popped in to post an observation that I'm stealing from elsewhere.  If Todd Boehly had waited a few months to buy Chelsea, he would have saved himself £722m.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Anyway, just popped in to post an observation that I'm stealing from elsewhere.  If Todd Boehly had waited a few months to buy Chelsea, he would have saved himself £722m.

Ah, they could have bought two more strikers, and a flakey winger with that.

As all Liverpool fans are knowledgeable and understand football, can they explain how they're now really rubbish at that association football lark?

I thought Dick Van Dick was the greatest defender of all time. 

Letting Mane go and spending £85m on Nunez was a shrewd move.

They should probably buy Trossard.

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

TAA needs to be dropped for a few games for his own sake. His defending for that Brighton goal was embarrassing. 

He's not alone in that with the Liverpool team at the moment. Too many in poor form right now.

43 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

As all Liverpool fans are knowledgeable and understand football, can they explain how they're now really rubbish at that association football lark?

Looks like the team isn’t as energetic as in the past, so maybe they’re having some time off the caffeine boosters and asthma medication. 

40 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

I'm going to give a serious answer here, even though I feel I'm just taking the bait, but it's a combination of things.

Mane leaving disrupted a lot of the energy and pressing up front - even when he wasn't playing well (and he had long spells of being indifferent), he still helped the front-three maintain the overall pressing game. Diaz is good - very good - but he's no Mane in that respect, and prefers to stay out wider. Salah has been poor for 8/9 months now, since he went off to the AFCON, so we've lost that ability to outscore teams.

Nunez wasn't bought to...well, I don't really know why. He is meant to be a proper no. 9 option, but he hasn't really got started at all yet, and Klopp has never played with a number 9 since Lewandowski at Dortmund (probably). Regardless, the team hasn't adjusted to suit his game at all, so he just doesn't really fit in right now and that won't be helping him.

The biggest issue - and one I've moaned about for at least 2/3 seasons in the Liverpool thread, is the midfield. It's just not fit for purpose. We have Thiago , Keita and AOC who are pretty much always injured, meaning the midfield is constantly having to be rotated and can't settle. Elliott has looked good, but you can't base your midfield around him, and Henderson is starting to get niggling little injuries too, and age is starting to catch up with him (even though he's only 32).

Defensively, it's again a combination of lack of form and no real cover. TAA has been poor all season, but he has no competition for his place, so he'll just keep getting games. Robinson has also been unusually off this season too - as has van Dijk - but again there's a lack of cover (and I don't see van Dijk being dropped regardless.) The defence isn't getting the protection from the midfield that it used to, either (Henderson has been a massive part of that in recent years), so are getting exposed far more often, and when your entire backline is low on confidence, well, this is what happens.

So it's mainly lack of form from too many players/poor midfield options (not addressed for years now)/lack of sufficient cover in a number of positions. But the other main thing is that this team has been playing at such a high level for 4 years straight, something had to give at some point. Before last season started I thought that might be where we saw a dip, but they excelled once again - but I think that strain has finally caught up with them. I daresay there is a bit of looking back at last season too and thinking that they put in so much, pushed so hard and yet still only won the two cups they wouldn't have prioritised at the beginning of the season (and yes, couldn't score in either of them, lol etc).

Lots for Klopp to think about.

16 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

I'm fine with a point and Trossard's hat trick. It's a minor shame we let go of a 2 goal lead but it was at Anfield and Liverpool were always going to pile on the pressure. 

Brighton were excellent, fully deserved a point, and had they got more wouldn’t have had many complaints. The narrative for these games is usually ‘big’ club messes up, and while there were errors in the Liverpool performance, Brighton forced that and took advantage.

Hope that’s a sign of things to come, think there’s a lot to admire in how Brighton are run as a club.