Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

2 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

There's the Australian at Celtic who by all accounts is great but I don't see why he'd leave Celtic for us particularly after we punished them with Shane Duffy for a season.

Duffy's spell was before Postecoglou took charge. But I doubt he'll leave Celtic just yet, not when they're just starting a CL campaign. And I think it'd be a good idea for any club to leave him to that campaign and see how they fare. He's a decorated manager, but untried at the highest club level.

2 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

I was accepting that Potter would take the 3 people he came with but to take our goalkeeping coach and Bruno is annoying to say the least.

The favourite is apparently some Norwegian Black Metal guy I've never heard of and has coached in Norway only although he beat Roma 6-1 once. There's the Australian at Celtic who by all accounts is great but I don't see why he'd leave Celtic for us particularly after we punished them with Shane Duffy for a season.

Names linked who I don't want - Brendan Rogers, Steve Cooper & eternal victim, Scott Parker.

Got to be Harry Redknapp.

He's already managed Bournemouth, Southampton and Pompy (twice) so good to complete the South Coast Set ! 😆

0-0 at half time and Shamrock Rovers doing alright against Djurgården, neither side really having any great chances. Definitely a shakey start but against Ferencvaros and Ludogorets, Rovers took their time to grow into the game, so in the second half they might well push on. I'd say it's one of the games they'd really have to win if they have designs on getting out of the group.

1 minute ago, Danster said:

So... BT Sport are showing the football. But the advertising hoardings are switched off. There's no half time analysis, nor adverts seemingly... Just a black screen with a white logo.

I could get used to this 🤣

Oh wow. I just assumed that for the Shamrock Rovers game they decided against bothering with a studio, and I'm so used to watching games on RTE Player where the adverts are never shown that the same lack here never registered.

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Duffy's spell was before Postecoglou took charge. But I doubt he'll leave Celtic just yet, not when they're just starting a CL campaign. And I think it'd be a good idea for any club to leave him to that campaign and see how they fare. He's a decorated manager, but untried at the highest club level.

Celtic will never forget the curse of Shane Duffy

EFL have cancelled the games tomorrow night and will decide on Saturdays in the morning after consulting with the government.

Can’t see them being on whoever was in charge, but annoyed footballs fans are goi by to be less of a problem for Truss than the outrage of the government allowing anyone to enjoy themselves for the next fortnight.

8 minutes ago, bradigor said:

I want the games to go ahead on Saturday just to hear the rest of the country lose their collective shit at the reception at Anfield.

Might be iffy at Cardiff as well. When the Queen Mother died the minutes silence at Ninian Park wasn’t impeccable. It was only a minority disrupting it, but could be similar dissent Saturday if it goes ahead.  If they insist on playing the anthem at every ground then it 100% won’t go well.

If sport is cancelled for two weeks it would wreck the Premier Leagues schedule which is already compressed due to the World Cup and mean the effective cancellation of the PGA event at Wentworth. Hopefully it’ll just be Friday onlly.

20 minutes ago, deerokus said:
Postponements are a joke, an offensive one tbh. You better still go to work, but the thing that makes working  worthwhile for millions of people, can't have that.

And people will lose income as staff may not get paid if they are casual/pubs won’t get custom, etc.

And, either they cancel everything (theatre/concerts/going to the zoo) or they don’t. Can’t just target sport for a fortnight.

12 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Didn’t know Man Utd fans on here were such royalists, all over this thread yesterday but sombre and respectful today. Class from a Prince Charles fan 👏

We actually all fell asleep during the boring match we watched tonight.

3 minutes ago, spork said:

We actually all fell asleep during the boring match we watched tonight.

I would have gone with "still not picked ourselves up of the floor from laughing yesterday"

19 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Didn’t know Man Utd fans on here were such royalists, all over this thread yesterday but sombre and respectful today. Class from a Prince Charles fan 👏

still not picked ourselves up of the floor from laughing yesterday.